Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest awaymag

While I don't think he's a high enough calibre of manager that we should be employing, I still don't think he necessarily deserves all the abuse he gets from some quarters. In fact some of that stuff on twitter previously was pretty disgusting. At one time I was angry with him for taking Ashley's shilling but I'm over that now. He's only done what he's been able to do and what he's been asked to do - I'm sure he wasn't lying when he said he was brought in to ensure Newcastle were playing Premiership football next season, that's about as high as ambitions get with Ashley owning us, league survival. It's a shame Bruce isn't a better manager but I find I just can't have a pop at him when he's accomplished his mission for this season, albeit perhaps with some help from other teams being in a worse situation.

And it's this crap and what some fans have become accustomed to that boils my piss!

Exactly, what is the actual point of watching a club thats total ambition is to finish 17th every season.  The product on show is actually: 30% possession and 1 shot on target; it is now the norm......truly dreadful and the fans have become conditioned to accepting this.

Why's he delighted? Making the not so difficult assumption that we lose to Liverpool:

Newcastle's Premier League record this season: W11, D11, L16 - win percentage 28.95%, 1.16 points per game

Steve Bruce's Premier League all time record: W121, D120, L189 - win percentage 28.14%, 1.13 points per game

He comes in a shade ahead of his miserable top flight career record so he's "delighted". When you're that shit, you'll gleefully accept any kind of progress.

Abuse? He’s had nowt but support from those who went to games pre-lockdown and his many, many sycophantic mates in the press. His ‘woe is me, I’m so badly done to by those nasty fans’ act is as transparent as his ‘I’m a Geordie, honest’ act.

He has done okay this season. No Perez and Rondon is clearly is a massive loss (which has been underplayed all season on this board). We got lucky, but we had some good wins. Worried pre-season but we were safe a third of the way through the season. Football was super s*** at home too many times but 11 wins and 11 draws with a game to go is fine. Clearly we need the takeover and a new manager to progress but Bruce hasn't been a "failure". Obviously no takeover or new manager will be rattled this season but so vital we stayed up this season. So so important.

He's benefitted massively from taking over a Rafa coached squad, even if he has made them shitter along the way.

He has done okay this season. No Perez and Rondon is clearly is a massive loss (which has been underplayed all season on this board). We got lucky, but we had some good wins. Worried pre-season but we were safe a third of the way through the season. Football was super s*** at home too many times but 11 wins and 11 draws with a game to go is fine. Clearly we need the takeover and a new manager to progress but Bruce hasn't been a "failure". Obviously no takeover or new manager will be rattled this season but so vital we stayed up this season. So so important.

He's benefitted massively from taking over a Rafa coached squad, even if he has made them shitter along the way.

Rondon and Perez scored 25 goals combined. Joelinton scored 2. Don't care about transfer fees. There is -23 goals there. That's huge.

Would love to know what his supposed plan is n all, given he should have been planning for next season since March.

We rarely, if ever, play the same specific style either for a full game or one game after the next

We chop and change formation to the same regularity as above

We have chopped and changed personnel repeatedly

We can’t keep players fit

We rarely look like dominating a full game

His record signing is an utter fucking joke who he can’t get a tune out of wherever he puts him

Rondon and Perez scored 25 goals combined. Joelinton scored 2. Don't care about transfer fees. There is -23 goals there. That's huge.

I'll never accept the Joelinton argument because Bruce being the manager is one reason why he's been our first choice striker all season.

Guest awaymag

Okay so this season he has done okay......what about next season, if the takeover doesn't go ahead.

Hand on heart what do you think will happen........relegation battle or break into top 10.......... I know what I'll be putting some money on, relegation all the way!

I'll never accept the Joelinton argument because Bruce being the manager is one reason why he's been our first choice striker all season.

Bottom line Joelinton scored 2 goals. We are 23 goals down on Rondon and Perez. You can't gloss over it.

Pretty sure you can gloss over it using the head coach as an indicator as Bruce clearly stated he was happy after a remarkable August window...

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/steve-bruce-on-a-remarkable-transfer-window/

and again after January where there was no one available in January better than Dwight Gayle despite it being known their was money in the bank, even after £30m was taken out the club the previous the season...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-reveals-not-sign-17795388

Given no one else has commented otherwise from the club, leaked or otherwise, it seems pretty clear he didn’t think losing those two players to be a problem either in his first transfer window or second as he would’ve rectified if it was.

Now I actually agree with you but it would appear the head coach doesn’t which personally I find a bit worrying. Or he’s lying, which is worse.

I don't care about the transfer fee. I don't care about Bruce talking shit. Joelinton has 2 goals compared to an effective Rondon and Perez duo who were massively more productive. That is a tremendous difference.

You say this as if Rondon and Perez still would’ve scored 25 goals that season had Bruce been in charge.  They both had personal record scoring seasons as far as their premier league careers are concerned.  I’m pretty confident that was largely because they were working for Rafa Benitez.  Put those 2 in a Steve Bruce team and i’d bet that Rondon would look isolated like he did at WBA under Pulis, and Perez would probably be benched after a few games.

Of course it is: but the point is you're using Joelinton as a defence of Bruce, as if we should be absolving him of any responsibility there.

Joelinton is the extra player anyway.

Rondon and Gayle were the interchangeable players as they literally did. Given where they loosely play you can assume ASM replaces the much despised Perez.

Saying he replaced Perez suggests the was a modicum of footballing strategy in the ASM transfer. Just like with Joelinton, there was none of that, though fortunately for Bruce's sake, ASM has actually contributed something unlike that other wing-and-a-prayer.

Whilst we're comparing them though: take ASM out of this side and it's slogging away to the very end with Villa and Bournemouth; I'm not convinced we'd have stayed up, as spirit would've inevitably ebbed away given the lack of any sort of actual gameplan. Remove Perez from last season and we'd have struggled of course, but Rafa would've found a way.

Saying he replaced Perez suggests the was a modicum of footballing strategy in the ASM transfer. Just like with Joelinton, there was none of that, though fortunately for Bruce's sake, ASM has actually contributed something.

Whilst we're comparing rumen though, remove ASM from this side and it's slogging away to the very end with Villa and Bournemouth; I'm not convinced we'd have stayed up, as spirit would've inevitably ebbed away given the lack of any sort of actual gameplan. Remove Perez from last season and we'd have struggled of course, but Rafa would've found a way.

I agree but on a basic level they play the same positions so I guess it can be classed as such, god forbid more than one player of quality is available for a position.

I think I’ll have posted a fair bit on this, for me this season was never going to be the issue - I didn’t think we’d go down, next season who knows but as I posted earlier I certainly couldn’t tell you (non takeover) what the plans are because there doesn’t seem to have been any.

Saying he replaced Perez suggests the was a modicum of footballing strategy in the ASM transfer. Just like with Joelinton, there was none of that, though fortunately for Bruce's sake, ASM has actually contributed something.

Whilst we're comparing rumen though, remove ASM from this side and it's slogging away to the very end with Villa and Bournemouth; I'm not convinced we'd have stayed up, as spirit would've inevitably ebbed away given the lack of any sort of actual gameplan. Remove Perez from last season and we'd have struggled of course, but Rafa would've found a way.

I agree but on a basic level they play the same positions so I guess it can be classed as such, god forbid more than one player of quality is available for a position.

I think I’ll have posted a fair bit on this, for me this season was never going to be the issue - I didn’t think we’d go down, next season who knows but as I posted earlier I certainly couldn’t tell you (non takeover) what the plans are because there doesn’t seem to have been any.

See, I absolutely thought we were certain to go down - which is why it's hard to argue with the notion that Bruce has done "okay", when I personally expected to break Derby's lowest points total.

That said, getting 2 goals out of Joelinton over a whole season is just not good enough. He was significantly more productive last season, and while he's in a newer and (arguably) tougher league, he's still producing far short of what he has in the past.

Bruce's entire "success" is based on a Hail Mary signing that came with a (clearly undeserved) reputation of being more selfish and troublesome than HBA. If nothing else, he made ASM a certain starter, giving him a level of confidence he'd never had previously. Should Bruce be given credit for that?

If it hadn’t been for our defenders in the first half of the season I reckon we would have had 11 points less and would be suffering from some serious “arse-twitching”.  This is obviously fairly simplistic and could be said others would have scored the goal anyway!.......but this doesn’t take into consideration the regular outstanding performance of Dubs to keep us in the game

Lady Luck may keep us up again next season but only a takeover certainly will

Steve Bruce won’t

Let’s give Kenny Dalglish a reprieve since Shearer & Ferdinand scored 41 goals between them in 96/97 but Shearer & Tomasson only scored 5 the next season. Bore off man.

You say this as if Rondon and Perez still would’ve scored 25 goals that season had Bruce been in charge.  They both had personal record scoring seasons as far as their premier league careers are concerned.  I’m pretty confident that was largely because they were working for Rafa Benitez.  Put those 2 in a Steve Bruce team and i’d bet that Rondon would look isolated like he did at WBA under Pulis, and Perez would probably be benched after a few games.

Fantastic post. Last season he had a forward line with Grealish & Abraham in it in the Championship. He was sacked with them lying 12th. A new manager came in and got the same side promoted.

I don't care about the transfer fee. I don't care about Bruce talking shit. Joelinton has 2 goals compared to an effective Rondon and Perez duo who were massively more productive. That is a tremendous difference.

"You can't call the manager shit because the players he's been managing have been shit"

You reckon Perez and Rondon would score as many under Bruce then? Or Joelinton wouldn't score more in a Rafa team?

"You can't call the manager shit because the players he's been managing have been shit"

You reckon Perez and Rondon would score as many under Bruce then? Or Joelinton wouldn't score more in a Rafa team?

Wish I'd read the posts which already made this point :lol:

Wish I'd read the posts which already made this point :lol:

He does seem to gloss over a few things like that :lol: including the ASM factor.