Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Lee Clark, ex manager of Blyth and now sporting director at Newcastle Blue Star

He's had such a full from grace since Huddersfield :lol:

He had Derek Fazackerley with him at Huddersfield, funnily enough it all went to shit for Clark after he left but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Rafa’s football was dire but he had worse players and less money than Bruce. While I doubt it would ever be bielsa like football under Rafa I think it would be better than what we are currently seeing and better than what we actually saw for most of Rafa’s tenure.

As for those suggestions  :laugh:    Half the problem with these people is they lack imagination.

When you gave him the job, I remember saying - with no pleasure - that you'd see the following:

• utterly wretched football
  • hopeless give-the-lads-a-slap-on-the-back style management
  • zero discernible tactics
  • team selections based on the players he thinks are 'good lads' or 'good professionals'
  • a management style that relies on being better than enough other sides at not losing matches
  • a value system in assessing results that is based on how acceptable it is to him - so long as he's not getting pelters, he's happy with it, he's the most important thing
  • a truly grating 'woe is me' 'not my fault' approach to anything resembling criticism
  • a media implying you don't like him because he's managed Sunderland / he's not foreign
  • a scaling down of what is acceptable for your fans to a point at which it conveniently tallies with what he is actually delivering,
  • vomit inducing obsequiousness to the people running the club

He's very much like Martin O'Neill in that sense, and when he went to Sunderland, I remember posting on here what would happen there, and seeing it turn out to be true.

The major difference, though, is that MON was obsessed with fast paced counter attacking football as his only way of playing, which only works in some circumstances, but is at least exciting to watch when it does work.

Bruce doesn't have that going for him. It's so austere, drab and depressing.

He got sacked by us after a wretched game against Preston, in which we missed a last minute penalty which would have drawn us level. It was the match in which someone threw a cabbage at him.

We've not exactly moved on to the promised land since then, but it was seen in the media as OMG, how can they do it to a football man like Brucie? But for us, it's absolutely seen as a turning point in the evolution of the club.

Thank god we missed that penalty. Dean Smith has his awful patches, too, but fucking hell, we are at least trying to improve, signing players to do it, and having a go at matches. We failed to beat Burnley at home today, but we managed 27 shots on goal. You accept goalless draws like that. Under Bruce that same fixture might have ended 0-0 but it would have been a 3 shot total match.

If you ever think people on this board are full of s***, try heading over to one of those daft facebook groups. Another world like :lol:

Capture.jpg

Aye, lets hand over the reigns to Lee Clark, most recently manager of Blyth Spartans

:lol: what the f*** is that

I saw that and in fairness the original poster got slated in the comments.

There is the odd exception but barely any fans seem to support Bruce now.

I still don’t despise the bloke; I’m just ready for us to be taken over and for him to be swiftly shown the door. I know that’s asking for a lot still...

Rafa’s football was dire but he had worse players and less money than Bruce. While I doubt it would ever be bielsa like football under Rafa I think it would be better than what we are currently seeing and better than what we actually saw for most of Rafa’s tenure.

As for those suggestions  :laugh:    Half the problem with these people is they lack imagination.

Rafa’s football wasn’t really dire, it was just primarily defensive first. But it was clear there was a plan.

So much to love about Rafa, but so often in the Championship I thought we were underwhelming when he didn’t have lack of investment as an excuse.

Interestingly finishing top 10 was remarkable the next season, though I still don’t buy the money comparisons with Bruce. Rafa had some cracking defensive/keeper deals and Rondon on loan. Bruce had spent £40m on Joelinton, but whatever Bruce has done wrong with him (plenty I’d guess), I think we can all agree he’s not a £40m player.

I thought Rafa and his style of football was extremely functional. The comparisons are of course complete bullshit mind. One manager ran a trading surplus whilst the other ran a big deficit. I think we all know the football was improving despite one hand being tied behind his back as well.

If you ever think people on this board are full of s***, try heading over to one of those daft facebook groups. Another world like :lol:

Capture.jpg

Aye, lets hand over the reigns to Lee Clark, most recently manager of Blyth Spartans

Lol

thats a wind up like

I think for most the time Rafa was here it was pretty dire imo. It got better towards the end but I don’t think even then I would consider it great to watch. But yes it was functional and we genuinely did seem to know how to defend rather than just hoping our gk could make sone saves

When you gave him the job, I remember saying - with no pleasure - that you'd see the following:

• team selections based on the players he thinks are 'good lads' or 'good professionals'
  • a management style that relies on being better than enough other sides at not losing matches
  • a value system in assessing results that is based on how acceptable it is to him - so long as he's not getting pelters, he's happy with it, he's the most important thing
  • a truly grating 'woe is me' 'not my fault' approach to anything resembling criticism
  • a media implying you don't like him because he's managed Sunderland / he's not foreign
  • a scaling down of what is acceptable for your fans to a point at which it conveniently tallies with what he is actually delivering,

He's very much like Martin O'Neill in that sense, and when he went to Sunderland, I remember posting on here what would happen there, and seeing it turn out to be true.

The major difference, though, is that MON was obsessed with fast paced counter attacking football as his only way of playing, which only works in some circumstances, but is at least exciting to watch when it does work.

He got sacked by us after a wretched game against Preston, in which we missed a last minute penalty which would have drawn us level. It was the match in which someone threw a cabbage at him.

We've not exactly moved on to the promised land since then, but it was seen in the media as OMG, how can they do it to a football man like Brucie? But for us, it's absolutely seen as a turning point in the evolution of the club.

Thank god we missed that penalty. Dean Smith has his awful patches, too, but fucking hell, we are at least trying to improve, signing players to do it, and having a go at matches. We failed to beat Burnley at home today, but we managed 27 shots on goal. You accept goalless draws like that. Under Bruce that same fixture might have ended 0-0 but it would have been a 3 shot total match.

Find posts like this weirdly comforting.

Yeah, but he was preparing his style for the PL while in the Championship. It was pointless playing attacking then having to completely change.

I think it was a bit of a gamble though as we made hard work of it. I remember losing often at home and not looking certain of automatic promotion for a while, until we finished well and then Brighton choked at the end.

Yeah, but he was preparing his style for the PL while in the Championship. It was pointless playing attacking then having to completely change.

Beat me to it!

Some of our fans are off their heads for even thinking of comparing Rafa with this clueless clown never mind posting about it on social media!

Yep - you called it from day one pal!

It's mad to think he had you mid-table with Grealish, Abraham, Mcginn and Mings to name four after spending a fortune the previous season! He's absolutely dog shit and that is harsh on dog shit!

Beat me to it!

Some of our fans are off their heads for even thinking of comparing Rafa with this clueless clown never mind posting about it on social media!

That was in relation to my comments on his style that I stated above were still a gamble in the Championship imo. We were often very frustrating at home against teams we should have easily beaten, which would have made promotion easier.

I wasn’t comparing his style to Bruce myself. If people are saying there’s not much between them, then they’re probably not smart enough to understand or just wilfully ignorant. As I said most people don’t rate Bruce now and that guy on Facebook got destroyed in the comments.

Beat me to it!

That was in relation to my comments on his style that I stated above were still a gamble in the Championship imo. We were often very frustrating at home against teams we should have easily beaten, which would have made promotion easier.

I wasn’t comparing his style to Bruce myself. If people are saying there’s not much between them, then they’re probably not smart enough to understand or just wilfully ignorant. As I said most people don’t rate Bruce now and that guy on Facebook got destroyed in the comments.

Aha - my comment wasn't aimed at you pal - it was at the ones on twitter who seem to think Bruce is a better manager!

Beat me to it!

Aha - my comment wasn't aimed at you pal - it was at the ones on twitter who seem to think Bruce is a better manager!

Ah fair play, I agree it’s crazy people seem to think he’s a better manager! Some people aren’t capable of or are unwilling to assess evidence properly sadly.

I don’t think it has to be a comparison tbh. It shouldn’t be hard to see who is better, but both should be judged on their own merit. Shouldn’t need Rafa’s strong organisation to highlight Bruce’s incompetence when the stats speak for themselves!