Joelinton

Stifler

The Tifo podcast is worth a listen for some Joelinton love (and Steve Bruce hate). Alex makes some pretty cogent remarks.

Steve Bruce just consistently played him in the wrong place and asked him to do the wrong stuff all the time... We did a video on it. It's not like it was a secret. You'd have to be quite dumb not to realize that was the case.

Wish that more pundits would state the obvious.

Edited by gazza ladra

That video makes it pretty evident how brilliant his tackling ability is. How the fuck he's not been tried in that role before now is incredible. He must have been showing it in training before this season.

Would be interested to see what his stats would be over a full season in CM because in these games so far this season they've been outstanding. I do hope it continues and he keeps his spot next season and keeps this up.

Reading this thread from the end of last season/beginning of this (around pages 163 and 164) versus now has been proper canny. What a turnaround in the forum's opinion of him as a player.:lol: Fuckin Bacon King and his "management" - "We bought him as a 9, let's only play him as that despite a return of a goal every 11 games and ignore his other attributes".

He must be a nightmare to play against. He just steamrolls everybody. So many moments during games where you just..chuckle. Sometimes refs seem to chuckle too, there was a moment against Villa where he just threw someone to the ground - no free kick given. What a hero.

Edited by soyt

His transformation under Howe has been incredible. If you posted those compilation videos that have been doing the rounds of the past few games at the time we bought him and said we’re buying a £40m midfield powerhouse everyone would be chuffed. It’s criminal what the previous regime did to his confidence, reputation and potentially his career at one point. He was never going to be a striker. 

20 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Hopefully he sees Rice put in some crunching sliding tackles over the weekend and gets a few ideas himself. Said it before but it's all I think he needs to add.

As fun as that is to watch, I disagree. Sliding tackles are what poor defenders use to mask their poor aware and positioning. Lascelles/Hayden the most obvious I can think of.

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

As fun as that is to watch, I disagree. Sliding tackles are what poor defenders use to mask their poor aware and positioning. Lascelles/Hayden the most obvious I can think of.

Couldn't disagree more. A well timed tackle is art.

Name a defender who never tackled?

Whilst a well-timed slide tackle is great to watch, especially if it cleanly wins the ball but still clatters the opponent up in the air, it's always a massive risk that the ref just cards you anyway for "being out of control" or something like that.

Love to see them, but perfectly happy to not see any and for him to carry on exactly as he has been. If/when we're well clear of the drop zone, fair enough, but we really don't want to lose him for several games to a stupid red.

3 minutes ago, Emotic said:

EcMx7e.gif

Would this see a red card in this day and age?:lol:

This kind of tackle doesn't even win you possession a lot of the time as the ball just goes anywhere. It's not the greatest play. Think a lot of players do this kind of thing to play to the crowd, which is a bit silly tbh.

The best midfielder at winning the ball back in the prem is still Ngolo Kante and you will never see that guy go to ground that way.