Joelinton

Stifler

34 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Class today, think he does a great job of locking down that left hand side when playing out wide while still contributing to the attacking build-up and moving the team up the pitch in possession. 

This is a good point actually, I was trying to figure out why so little came down our left-hand side and it just got snuffed out by this lad. I remember Longstaff also making a great challenge on that side too. It was just a fucking wall on that side 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Magnificent today, just refused to accept anything other than three points.

His footwork was exceptional as well, barely mislaid a pass all night, and that was impressive considering he sometimes had two players biting around him. One of those games where he looked a complete midfield player.

Can we all just put to the bed the conversation from the last year about whether he’s good enough to be part of this team long-term? Because he’s absolutely class and shows it almost every game. Other team’s players must absolutely despise him as he makes them look like shit 

Just now, gbandit said:

Can we all just put to the bed the conversation from the last year about whether he’s good enough to be part of this team long-term? Because he’s absolutely class and shows it almost every game. Other team’s players must absolutely despise him as he makes them look like shit 

Yup, he's got to be one of the most difficult players to play against in the league when he's at his best, just through sheer energy levels and power alone. 

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

He does this thing where he uses his strength to keep to shield the ball from an opposing player then waits for someone to run in to space, and then passes to him. It’s class

That's what I meant when I was talking about his footwork. It's great to watch, and really effective as well. Your average footballer can't do it.

The stamina, aggression and athleticism of Joe, little Joe, Longstaff and Almiron really set the tempo of this team.  You would say a couple of these are among the weakest players in the first team but they are so key to how we play.  

Anyone coming into replace them will need to get close to their work rate and stamina.  The levels have been set.  

With 14 games played and 24 still to go, it will be interesting to see if we can sustain this intensity after the world cup. 

Hopefully we do get a few quality additions that will help the squad depth. 

But no doubt the current lads have cemented their spots. So much so that people like Saint-Maximin and Isak will likely have to play their way back in.

Just now, alexf said:

With 14 games played and 24 still to go, it will be interesting to see if we can sustain this intensity after the world cup. 

Hopefully we do get a few quality additions that will help the squad depth. 

But no doubt the current lads have cemented their spots. So much so that people like Saint-Maximin and Isak will likely have to play their way back in.

Most of the hardest runners are getting a break. 

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

His interchanging with Willock on our left is outstanding. 

I love them both on that side together for the point you made, but also because Joelinton helps Willock out defensively too, and adds a bit more aggression to their partnership on that side.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

His footwork was exceptional as well, barely mislaid a pass all night, and that was impressive considering he sometimes had two players biting around him. One of those games where he looked a complete midfield player.

Yep, there was a couple of superb first-time reverse passes - technically very difficult to pull off and he did it running at full pelt.  

Think he was very useful in attack when he was drifting around the pitch, he only did it occasionally though.

Would suspect our formation and tactics aren’t yet flexible enough for players popping up in different positions. 
That’s probably next!

Shoe-in for a Brazil call up the next time they have a friendly or some qualifiers you'd think. Can sort of understand the managers going with tried and tested for the tournament but I think he'll get looked at in the next "cycle". Same goes for Botman, and also Willock if he keeps the form going.

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Shoe-in for a Brazil call up the next time they have a friendly or some qualifiers you'd think. Can sort of understand the managers going with tried and tested for the tournament but I think he'll get looked at in the next "cycle". Same goes for Botman, and also Willock if he keeps the form going.

If the Dutch team has 4-5 center backs better than him they must have a world class defense.