Joelinton

Stifler

1 minute ago, duo said:

The interviewer though - "didn't know you were that good" - bit harsh to say to his face

Yes. More than harsh, exactly what sort of question was that?

With what other player would it be acceptable to say something like that?

Amazing turnaround from this God.

Although we shouldn't rewrite history - he truly was horrific for a while - there's nothing wrong in now saying his recent performances have been brilliant. Confidence goes a long way in football and he could just keep getting better and better, which is a season-changing thought.

"When we initially came in we thought Joelinton would play as a number 10, a second striker," Howe, who succeeded Steve Bruce in November, said after the draw with the Red Devils.

But that changed when Ciaran Clark was sent off after nine minutes against Norwich in Howe's first game in the home dugout in November.

"We went down to 10 men against Norwich and reshuffled and played Joelinton as an eight [central midfielder] and he was brilliant defensively," said Howe.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59806163

We have to thank Clark then. :lol:

He’s surely only going to get better as he learns this role?

Genuinely can’t get over it. That interview was mint despite the interviewer, too, he looked touched by Longstaff’s words. Love to hear that from him too, good lad.

He was never going to be a prolific goalscorer. What works in this role is his tenacity, ability to read the game, strength and willingness to push forward, technical ability especially close control. Has the right attitude also. Still only 25.

That's surprisingly one half of our midfield woes solved. Just need a proper midfielder alongside him and the team will improve massively.

Good lad.

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

He’s surely only going to get better as he learns this role?

Genuinely can’t get over it. That interview was mint despite the interviewer, too, he looked touched by Longstaff’s words. Love to hear that from him too, good lad.

It’s a weird one for me, is this a flash in the pan or have we genuinely got a world class midfielder on our hands.

I’m leaning towards the latter based on his undoubted work ethic, he seems to have gone out of his way to get a personal trainer and clearly analysed his own game.

In Germany Nagelsmann seemed to rate him and used him in a withdrawn role, I like to think he has always been a 40 million player who has been criminally mismanaged under previous regime.

Time will tell but looks very promising.

Edited by Whitley mag

If he continues to reinvent himself as a dynamic BBM, we may have a real player on our hands. Needs to keep working hard. 👍 I imagine that he will be one of the first names on the team sheet ag the moment. However given Wilson’s injury, I hope how doesn’t switch him back to centre forward v Everton. 

Great yesterday. What remains baffling is that we bought the lad and tried for over a season, nearly 2, to make him into a striker when it was patently obvious very early on he wasn’t a striker or a goal scorer. He showed this again last night, he can’t finish and he doesn’t have the instinct, there was a great chance late on when there was a cut back to him in the middle of goals and the defender got in front of him. Anywhere else on the pitch and he’d have got there.

If you look at the lads size, mobility (limitations) and his willingness to cover ground it’s pretty amazing it’s taken until now to find his position. WTF have they been doing in training, I’d kinda assumed they’d messed around with positions and that he’d been caught in possession and given the ball away constantly in practice.

He was motm by a distance last night.