Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

ASM has been very frustrating of late, has to be said. Looks devoid of confidence and not in a happy place. 

Not sure if I'm imagining it but whenever he gets the ball there is a real lack of support for him in terms of giving him an option for a pass. Almost like the other players know he's going to run down a blind alley and don't bother getting near him to help out.

Anyway it exacerbates the problem as yes he's frustratingly running into brick walls but often there isn't a pass on for him. Hopefully it'll start clicking for him in the next few games because currently it's a painful watch. 

With his style of play its all about confidence, any hesitation and you end up losing the ball or not producing and he clearly is lacking confidence these days, but he ran his socks off for the team today and gave it everything, hopefully this will help him get back on track, no question we are a better a team with him in the side than without him.

There’s lingering trust issues in our team atm. Players don’t look at the shirt and pass but rather the player they’re passing too. It’ll heal over time but it’s going to be a frustrating period. 

Edited by Astroblack

Hopefully we'll replace Almiron and Murphy this summer with far better options for the first team. That'll either make or break ASM at NUFC - it'll spur him on to prove he should be the main man in the side or he'll go in a huff and fade away. 

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

He's overthinking things at the moment. Almost like the pressure has got to him in being a cog and not the whole machine

He needs to be loved like

The corner started singing his name and you seen it instantly boosted him

Football needs players like him even if he is infuriating as fuck sometimes

I’ll happily admit he was frustrating me tonight, but I find some of the criticism he gets very harsh. He’s been excellent for most of his time here - some poor recent performances having potentially not been fully fit firstly shouldn’t detract from that, but also I think we’re used to him being so good that we judge him much more harshly. Granted he is frustrating given his ability, but his ability is actually ridiculous - I don’t know how many of the best attacking players in the world have the combined pace and dribbling ability that compares with his, yet he plays for us and not a CL club, so he’s obviously going to be inconsistent and make bad decisions etc. Pretty sure I’d almost always take that kind of player (who is also clearly out of form) than one of those wingers you can “trust” but ultimately just isn’t very good (thinking Ritchie, Gouffran, Jonas etc.). 

I've looked at him differently since Trippier (and now Bruno) came in. It sort of reminded me what a truly quality player looks like and ASM isn't that, imo.

I actually think he lacks some real fundamentals to his game. He's not brilliant at anything other than dribbling. Touch can go from sublime to ridiculous, his striking technique is very inconsistent, not exactly a stellar passer of the ball, very patchy decision-making. We're by no means a fantastic attacking unit but he's part of that problem, imo. Maybe he's holding some injuries and needs a proper break.

He was a really useful talisman for us for a while when things were bad but I think he's been a bit shown up since we started to look like a functioning team. Give him another year but if it's more of the same then I'd look to get rid.

We've not really seen him play with competent attackers yet other than Wilson who he provided some good assists for. 

The calls for him to be dropped or sold before he's had a chance to play in a proper side after carrying us since he got here is a bit daft. 

He had a poor game in that his dribbles weren't as a successful as they usually are, his passing was poor (that one that was meant for Burn but went out of play was bad) and his shooting was crap but he was trying, don't think his decision making was an issue but the execution of the dribbles, passing and shooting wasn't great

I'll never be overly critical of a player that tries things and that's what he certainly did tonight

Give me that ASM performance over your bang average wingers that run to the full back and then just pass it back

And that touch in the build up to the penalty was lush 

Overall, he played a bad game today. But that's the point, he produces something at his worst.

I'm convinced he'll reach his peak when Newcastle sign a creative midfielder and a solid striker next season.

I'm not sure I'd call today one of his worse performances. A lot of things didn't work, possibly due to a lack of sharpness, but his desire never faded. If anything his desire overwhelmed him at times. But that's not a bad thing. Looking forward to see him next season, after everything has calmed down a bit.

4 minutes ago, Ed210 said:

I’m genuinely starting to think he’s a bit of a one trick pony with zero footballing brain. So frustrating every time I watch him. 

He’s clearly not. Of course dribbling his biggest weapon but his clever pass for big Joe created the overload which got us the penalty. 

he’s far from perfect but he’s clearly our most productive attacking player, he’s makes a lot of mistakes of course but which of our lot doesn’t. 

He was frustrating last night, but as others have said let's see how he does in Newcastle 2.0.

Part of the issue is our team sometimes fail to anticipate his movement and he ends up alone after skinning 3/4 players. He's a valuable asset, we just need to tone him down a bit.

Also, he’s not 100% match fit yet. His head wants one thing, and knows that he can (usually) beat his man but when he doesn’t have that proper spring in his step then things don’t quite work out because it’s all about that millisecond of difference. He wants it and tries to force it but it will only come with time when he’s proper super fit again and then the confidence will come too and he will be unplayable again at times. You could argue that he should play it more simple and all that, I agree. Having said that it’s not quite that easy for a player of his style. He’s desperate but he will become good with time and patience.

He can be frustrating as fuck I agree. He has a few things that he needs to work on no doubt. Get fit and co Disney again with better players around him and he’ll be good again. Totally different player but Tiote was a player who took time to get proper fit too, and needed to be. Rip. 

On a side note, this guy must get kicked/shirt pulled etc at least 10 times a match without getting a free kick awarded. It's so fucking frustrating.

Edited by Klaus