Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

53 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think Willock has just as many weaknesses as ASM, they're just different ones. 

We don't have that many genuinely top players, each one is a bit of a gamble.

He does, but he plays the team game more effectively. Both defensively. Collectively we move the ball around better when he's playing IMO. But yeah, he's far from top class.

Willock is the player I find the most difficult to judge on our team. I have no idea what his level is. Sometimes he looks lethargic and clumsy, then other time he is lightning and creates great opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2023 at 18:16, TRC said:

Willock is the player I find the most difficult to judge on our team. I have no idea what his level is. Sometimes he looks lethargic and clumsy, then other time he is lightning and creates great opportunities.

When big joe comes back willock plays instead of ASM for me.

On balance, he's still worth his place in our current situation, but on too many occasions, he just doesn't release the ball at the right time. I'm hoping that we can bring in an upgrade on him in the summer.

Has yet to find the balance in his decision making. He released it instead of going on one of his old runs which I'm convinced would have reaped a result. Developing a lovely understanding with Isak though 

I don’t go to matches, but my season ticket holding friend criticises him a lot and says everyone around him in the East Stand gets really annoyed by him for his work rate, decision-making etc.

Is this normal for the rest of the ground and can’t help surely? Funnily enough most other fans I speak to or read online seem far more positive about him. It wasn’t his best game, but I thought he was pretty good. Swear some fans just form a negative opinion on someone easily and go looking for their flaws early on, then convince those around them to groan too. 

I like Maxi and he's certainly trying but I just wonder about his decision making. So often he runs towards traffic when there's space on the outside for him . Even in the cup final he had Dalot on a yellow and never seemed to go at him again before Dalot was swapped for Wan Bissaka,.

Best game for a while, I thought, with the usual issues that aren’t ever going to change. We have to find a way to cover for them, though, he’s too dangerous to leave out from here on.

45 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Played well but I'm not sure he's 100%, his running style seemed a bit awkward at times and he seemed reluctant to open up? 

Thought it was the result of individual coaching, keep the ball closer to your body to minimise the chance of losing it. He usually takes slightly heavier touches and a longer stride, so his running style did look awkward. 

I was pretty impressed with the change, hold on to the ball, control the defender who doesn’t want to commit to a tackle, delay delay… ball into Isak who takes into his stride. Worked really well in the first half. Little touches that give others the time to exploit space. 

Thought he was very good in that first half, though not for typical Maxi reasons, didn't really go on many mazy runs but he played a few really good passes for players to run on to (3 that I recall to Isak and 1 for Willock)

Those type of passes are not something he typically does so it was nice to see that side of his game 

Should definitely keep his place in the team

Worked hard today and looked really up for it, dying for him to get a goal to match his effort, he deserves it. He did lose his man on a couple of occasions today and was in no man's land when a simple pass left him behind play and Wolves with a man over on his flank, but the midfield covered him well so maybe he's been asked to stay forward a bit.

1 hour ago, Keggy_Keagal said:

I like Maxi and he's certainly trying but I just wonder about his decision making. So often he runs towards traffic when there's space on the outside for him . Even in the cup final he had Dalot on a yellow and never seemed to go at him again before Dalot was swapped for Wan Bissaka,.

Made that same point in the match thread, but I guess you have to accept that when he can do so much potential damage. He shit all over Traore who quite a few were worried about today.

25 minutes ago, TRon said:

Made that same point in the match thread, but I guess you have to accept that when he can do so much potential damage. He shit all over Traore who quite a few were worried about today.

Thought Burn and Botman had the baby oil bandit well under control barring that early run and cross