Sheffield Utd 0-2 Newcastle Utd - 05/12/19 - Post-match reaction from page 18

Disco

I'm actually disappointed that ASM first goal for us wasn't him skinning 5 defenders, twisting in the box and firing a thunderbastard into the top corner but I'm chuffed for him that he's got his first. Shelveys goal was top level shithousery and if it happened to us I'd be livid but it's a schoolboy error not to play to the whistle, Sheffield can only blame themselves for that.

A good 3 points but unconvincing, alarmingly Dubravka was MOTM for me, he was a beast tonight, nothing was getting past him. The score line flatters to deceive, we were negative and clueless going forward but we scored our chances and that's what wins you games. Unconvincing and unsustainable but happy with tonight's result. Now won't some fucker buy us and rid us of this perpetual nightmare?

Guest godzilla

Wilder is one of the most honest managers when his players don’t put a shift in, he batters them, doesn’t accept lack of effort one bit. If defenders spot the offside flag and stop even for a second which is ingrained in them, it can make the difference  it’s an absolute shitshow that the linesman puts his flag up, no point

One of the first things kids are told when starting football is play to the whistle. Decision was incorrect and was overturned which was the point of var to stop obvious mistakes. Var has had a nightmare at times but this was a totally correct decision. The referee does not stop still and continues to run waving play on. If I was Wilder I would be going mad at the players for stopping. Going on tv and mouthing off is just total sour grapes. The linesman in the first place and then the Sheff Utd players want shot for shit for that decision not VAR.

Wilder is one of the most honest managers when his players don’t put a shift in, he batters them, doesn’t accept lack of effort one bit. If defenders spot the offside flag and stop even for a second which is ingrained in them, it can make the difference  it’s an absolute shitshow that the linesman puts his flag up, no point

One of the first things kids are told when starting football is play to the whistle. Decision was incorrect and was overturned which was the point of var to stop obvious mistakes. Var has had a nightmare at times but this was a totally correct decision. The referee does not stop still and continues to run waving play on. If I was Wilder I would be going mad at the players for stopping. Going on tv and mouthing off is just total sour grapes. The linesman in the first place and then the Sheff Utd players want shot for shit for that decision not VAR.

Exactly!  I have been going on about this for what seems forever.  There is nothing wrong with VAR, in fact it is excellent.  The arseholes/officials that interpret var are clueless.  That linesman should never have flagged tonight against Carrol.  They are instructed to keep the flag down in marginal decisions and let VAR decide.

One of the first things kids are told when starting football is play to the whistle. Decision was incorrect and was overturned which was the point of var to stop obvious mistakes. Var has had a nightmare at times but this was a totally correct decision. The referee does not stop still and continues to run waving play on. If I was Wilder I would be going mad at the players for stopping. Going on tv and mouthing off is just total sour grapes. The linesman in the first place and then the Sheff Utd players want shot for s*** for that decision not VAR.

Exactly!  I have been going on about this for what seems forever.  There is nothing wrong with VAR, in fact it is excellent.  The arseholes/officials that interpret var are clueless.  That linesman should never have flagged tonight against Carrol.  They are instructed to keep the flag down in marginal decisions and let VAR decide.

I agree with you that it’s the linesman’s fault he put his flag up when he shouldn’t have and that’s all Wilder was saying??

Guest godzilla

One of the first things kids are told when starting football is play to the whistle. Decision was incorrect and was overturned which was the point of var to stop obvious mistakes. Var has had a nightmare at times but this was a totally correct decision. The referee does not stop still and continues to run waving play on. If I was Wilder I would be going mad at the players for stopping. Going on tv and mouthing off is just total sour grapes. The linesman in the first place and then the Sheff Utd players want shot for s*** for that decision not VAR.

I agree with you that it’s the linesman’s fault he put his flag up when he shouldn’t have and that’s all Wilder was saying??

Do you think? The way he was going on about his history in football and how it’s changed and then going on about Shelvey walking the ball was indicating to me he thought Var was to blame.

I don’t get what’s controversial about Shelvey’s goal. Was onside, carried on and scored. Seems simple no?

Flag was up. Think we'd be pissed off if it was the other way around but the ref was right to play on, big error by the linesman

I don’t get what’s controversial about Shelvey’s goal. Was onside, carried on and scored. Seems simple no?

We’d be really fucked off if that happened to us. Literally every player on the pitch stopped playing apart from Shelvey. Big linesman error. Every team at the start of the season was told that linesman would keep their flag down if it was a close call.

Devils advocate here.

Let’s say the flag never went up. The CB’s are still out of the game and Shelvey still receives the flick on. The fullbacks are too wide and too far back to catch Shelvey who in this scenario is running instead of jogging towards the goal. The goalkeeper would make an attempt to save the goal, but the chance is still 1 on 1 and the most likely scenario is a goal.

The flag going up ultimately had no real bearing on the outcome.

Pre-VAR Shelvey gets booked, no?

No the referee didn’t blow the whistle

Aye, but the referee only doesn’t blow because he knows he has VAR to fall back on. Without VAR the referee is taking the linesman’s decision, disallowing the goal, and giving Shelvey a yellow card that can’t be rescinded. That is if Shelvey would continue after the whistle in a pre-VAR world.

Guest godzilla

Pre-VAR Shelvey gets booked, no?

No the referee didn’t blow the whistle

Aye, but the referee only doesn’t blow because he knows he has VAR to fall back on. Without VAR the referee is taking the linesman’s decision, disallowing the goal, and giving Shelvey a yellow card that can’t be rescinded. That is if Shelvey would continue after the whistle in a pre-VAR world.

As you say the ref would have blown and Shelvey would have stopped so no booking. The only reason Shelvey went on is he had been told pre game to play to the whistle.

Guest neesy111

:lol:

Shithouse wins are still fun even though I barely care.

Should't be linking to this s**** but I'm high as giraffe puss.

This.

People blaming VAR for correcting a situation that was caused entirely by an incompetent linesman is pretty fucking hilarious. :lol:

VAR is ruining football by helping the officials make the correct decision :lol:

Yesterday it was spot on. Before VAR that could have been a hairy end to the match if they’d still had something to play for still. That’s the sort of game we seemed to get 2-3 times a season where it’d end 1-1 and we’d have bumped the ‘Shit officiating’ thread.

Managers were clamouring for VAR and then moan when a decision goes against them. No surprise.

VAR is actually working better than I thought. It was naïve to think that it was going to eliminate controversy and debate, but it has definitely helped with offside decisions, which are decisions of fact. It was always going to be trickier with matters of opinion, like penalties, but I think they've got the policy right, with not over-ruling the ref unless the mistake is 'clear and obvious'. Replacing one fallible decision with another just holds things up and doesn't eliminate uncertainty.

We won't get to a point where decisions are perfect, but we can make decisions better, and so far it's doing okay.

Re the linesman, he made a mistake but I don't think he was wrong to put his flag up. I thought the instruction was to keep the flag down until a player touches the ball. Do correct me if not.

100%

These are the type of game changing decisions that benefits from VAR not the armpit offsides cancelling goals that seems to happen to Sterling every couple of weeks. What made it controversial is their team just stopped playing.

I like their club and whole philosophy but Wilder should have accepted that rather than coming out twisting - he’s probably just pissed they outplayed us and somehow lost though.

Right decision last night even Shelvey said after the game that the ref told them to play on in those situations. That being said, I would probably be a little bitter if that happened the other way around, the keeper did stop due to the flag being up.