Sheffield Utd 0-2 Newcastle Utd - 05/12/19 - Post-match reaction from page 18

Disco

What did he say?

"A missed opportunity. I am okay with that performance, it was always going to be difficult against a team that never shifted. The first goal is really important and it is super difficult when you go behind against a team like Newcastle.

"I was told at the start of the season that the linesman would not put his flag up and let it go. He put his flag up and the referee was about to blow his whistle.

"Everyone in the ground stopped. Jonjo Shelvey even nonchalantly went up and took an opportunity. His body language said to me he had seen the linesman had put the flag up and he was going to be offside.

"The game has changed. This game now is completely different to what I experienced as a 16-year-old lad as an apprentice. This game in a heartbeat has changed. I don't know where it is going and it is sucking the life out of me and the supporters."

"If we are going to go to all these tight calls and be super spot on with it, why did the linesman put his flag up? We've looked at it and it is tight. The game has completely changed and it sucked the life out of our players.

"I won't speak to the referee. We get so many mixed messages all the time. Jonjo didn't play to the end, he jogged up to the ball and all of a sudden got a bit excited and stuck it in. If he kept his flag down does Jonjo go through and my goalkeeper make a bit more effort?"

What did he say?

"A missed opportunity. I am okay with that performance, it was always going to be difficult against a team that never shifted. The first goal is really important and it is super difficult when you go behind against a team like Newcastle.

"I was told at the start of the season that the linesman would not put his flag up and let it go. He put his flag up and the referee was about to blow his whistle.

"Everyone in the ground stopped. Jonjo Shelvey even nonchalantly went up and took an opportunity. His body language said to me he had seen the linesman had put the flag up and he was going to be offside.

"The game has changed. This game now is completely different to what I experienced as a 16-year-old lad as an apprentice. This game in a heartbeat has changed. I don't know where it is going and it is sucking the life out of me and the supporters."

"If we are going to go to all these tight calls and be super spot on with it, why did the linesman put his flag up? We've looked at it and it is tight. The game has completely changed and it sucked the life out of our players.

"I won't speak to the referee. We get so many mixed messages all the time. Jonjo didn't play to the end, he jogged up to the ball and all of a sudden got a bit excited and stuck it in. If he kept his flag down does Jonjo go through and my goalkeeper make a bit more effort?"

Play often continues after the flag goes up. It's nothing new. Play to the whistle not the flag, basics.

What did he say?

Imagine not knowing that that was Shelvey at full tilt.

What did he say?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Any modicum of effort by his defenders and they would have chased him down and taken it off him.

What did he say?

Play often continues after the flag goes up. It's nothing new. Play to the whistle not the flag, basics.

Jonjo deserves a lot of credit here

What did he say?

:lol: Put him in a race with a glacier and he'd finish second.

What did he say?

:lol: Put him in a race with a glacier and he'd finish second.

#ExtinctionRebellion

What did he say?

Stupid old fossil. Wants to question why his defenders totally stopped more than anything.

What did he say?

Jonjo deserves a lot of credit here

Aye, his casual walk probably puts the keeper off even more.

They can make as many excuses as they want, fact is the rule of playing to the whistle has always applied and always catches teams out, this is no different. At the time I thought the referee had blew his whistle and was chasing Shelvey to get him to stop, turns out he had never blown his whistle and was running with Shelvey to indicate play on.

Sheffield United have no one to blame but themselves.

Wilder is one of the most honest managers when his players don’t put a shift in, he batters them, doesn’t accept lack of effort one bit. If defenders spot the offside flag and stop even for a second which is ingrained in them, it can make the difference  it’s an absolute shitshow that the linesman puts his flag up, no point

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Any modicum of effort by his defenders and they would have chased him down and taken it off him.

Do you think? Shelvey was completely unmarked as he ran through the centre of the pitch. The Sheffield defenders were miles away from him. Even if they had given chase Shelvey had a huge head start.