Danny Rose (now a free agent)

That’s a big no from Me.....he’s a downgrade on what we already have and commitment is suspect........and that is saying something

Downgrade on what?

We don't have a left back in the club, unless you count Ritchie and Dummett who are not left backs.

The amount of money that has been circulating around a permanent deal is ridiculous though.

That’s a big no from Me.....he’s a downgrade on what we already have and commitment is suspect........and that is saying something

Downgrade on what?

We don't have a left back in the club, unless you count Ritchie and Dummett who are not left backs.

The amount of money that has been circulating around a permanent deal is ridiculous though.

What’s Dummett then if not a left back?

It's not so much of what we have than where we want to go. Whether the takeover goes ahead or otherwise, have-beens who are on the decline and have no interest beyond getting their wages are precisely the players we should be avoiding. The lack of motivation from Rose is clear to see for some time.

I'm starting to hate him. His performances have been utter wank, certainly no better than an in form Dummett. We should be looking elsewhere, certainly a higher tier than Danny Rose on a free transfer, with or without the takeover.

I can actually see Rose dropping into the championship next season.

I seem to have the opposite opinion of most people, I think he’s good and he’s improved us defensively. I don’t think I’d sign him given how much he’d cost in fee and wages but I think he’s been an upgrade on Dummet. He doesn’t offer anywhere near what Willems did and despite him being a weaker defender I’d still prefer him over the two.

If the takeover happens I’m guessing neither though?

Downgrade on what?

Dummett is the best left back at the club, simples.

Downgrade on what?

Left-footed centre back utilised on the left side because Mike Ashley didn't want to spend money.

He is solid in the back, but offers nothing of the required for a position of a modern left back.

Rose is bettet than Dummett, who is terrible. But that doesn't make Rose worth buying.

Dummett is far better than Rose (it would sound surreal if someone from 2015 heard this but it's true now). Rose can't run, can't defend and isn't interested. Dummett can defend backs to the wall well, he just can't do anything on the ball.

Downgrade on what?

He may not be but that's where he is played and he is far superior to Rose

Downgrade on what?

Left-footed centre back utilised on the left side because Mike Ashley didn't want to spend money.

He is solid in the back, but offers nothing of the required for a position of a modern left back.

He's not a centre back, not be a long stretch. He's a defensive left back, but still a left back.

I seem to have the opposite opinion of most people, I think he’s good and he’s improved us defensively. I don’t think I’d sign him given how much he’d cost in fee and wages but I think he’s been an upgrade on Dummet. He doesn’t offer anywhere near what Willems did and despite him being a weaker defender I’d still prefer him over the two.

I would agree. I can't say I have been impressed with his work going forward, he doesn't seem to like getting into the opposition half much. But he is solid defensively, and he's more comfortable on the ball than Dummett. I don't mind seeing his name on the team sheet as much as I did initially. Watching Yedlin and Lazaro invariably go AWOL when we get done at the back has made me appreciate a defensive full back a bit recently.

I would agree. I can't say I have been impressed with his work going forward, he doesn't seem to like getting into the opposition half much. But he is solid defensively, and he's more comfortable on the ball than Dummett. I don't mind seeing his name on the team sheet as much as I did initially. Watching Yedlin and Lazaro invariably go AWOL when we get done at the back has made me appreciate a defensive full back a bit recently.

Rose's defensive work for us has been questionable at best. Dummett is a much better defender.

Rose's defensive work for us has been questionable at best. Dummett is a much better defender.

Really? How many goals has he been personally culpable for?

Downgrade on what?

He's not a centre back, not be a long stretch. He's a defensive left back, but still a left back.

Aye, agree with this. At a push, a left centre-back in a three as part of a Benitez style ‘batten the hatches’ system.

Just watched Rose's post-match interview, and he made a great deal about him playing at centre-half against Brighton. Said he'd asked Poch to play there last season, that Robertson getting 26 assists inspired him to change positions, that he really enjoyed the different perspective after bollocking centre-halves his whole career.

Didn't say that he's so physically and tactically lacking to make his playing there anything but an absolute last resort...

• 2 weeks later...