Danny Rose (now a free agent)

• 1 month later...

Not his biggest fan and I wouldn't want him here but I don't see any issue with that, both put across valid points.

I'm impressed he actually cares about getting games if anything, although the "i'm going to see Daniel" part is a bit cringeworthy.

I'm sure that kind of conversation takes place in every manager's office on a regular basis. But I'm a bit baffled that it's been filmed and has leaked out. Am I missing something here? It looks genuine.

Whenever I hear players complaining about being dropped, I'm reminded of the great middle distance runner Steve Ovett. When he was 18, he just missed out on being chosen for the Commonwealth games, and he was so annoyed he even considered jacking in athletics altogether. Then he said to himself - no, next time I'm going to be so good, they can't leave me out.

That's the kind of attitude that gets you places.

But I think the underlying issue here is that Rose has lost a bit of pace, and that's making a crucial difference to how he's playing the game.

Whenever I hear players complaining about being dropped, I'm reminded of the great middle distance runner Steve Ovett. When he was 18, he just missed out on being chosen for the Commonwealth games, and he was so annoyed he even considered jacking in athletics altogether. Then he said to himself - no, next time I'm going to be so good, they can't leave me out.

Always preferred Ovett to Coe. I think even back then I could see Coe being a corrupt, snivelling, arse licking tory c*nt. Proved right in the end.

Ovett being Alf Tupper, obvs.

I have to say I don’t like either Rose or Mourinho, but they both came out of it looking better to me.

Mourinho was calm and controlled leading a hard conversation, he was respectful and, frankly, showed a lot more than I thought of him.

Similarly, I thought Rose was a broken has-been collecting until he couldn’t any more - and I don’t think anyone who watched him play for the Toon would disagree. As dickish as “I’m going to Daniel” was, it was encouraging to see a professional have that desire to get out there, even if he can’t do what he used to. And major kudos for calling Mourinho out on favouritism too without getting hysterical.

Yeah I definitely dont see an issue with that conversation. The oy thing missing was Rose saying that if he isnt going to play, he should be allowed to leave.

It must be difficult for players who are on a downward slide in their careers.

Well I see it differently in that Rose comes across as a right spoilt prick. Calling his team mates "shit" because they are picked ahead of him. He even admits he didn't play well in a game then he wonders why he was dropped.

To then say he's going to speak to the chairman afterwards, ffs what a fanny.

However, it is a TV show and they both will be aware the cameras are on them, it's also edited to fuck so we only see what they are wanting us to see.

Nah - he said that in a very particular context that included calling himself shit. He’s saying he played shit but trains well, doesn’t get picked when there are others who play shit and train shit but keep getting picked.

It’s a fair point and takes a certain level of courage to do (possibly afforded by the cameras). It is Jose Mourinho, after all...

Really don't see what the issue is, aside from the 'I'm telling Daniel!' bit. :lol: I imagine that's a fairly standard conversation in a lot of manager's offices and reckon most with any pair of balls would rather their player being up front with any grievances than sniping behind his back or not even caring at all.

I think he’s got a point. When you’re not getting picked at left back over a right footed centre back there’s obviously an issue. I thought it was quite clever how they showed that clip of him questioning the tactics, I’m assuming small conversations happen like this all the time but they only showed him doing it. It was the same with Erikson, loads of footage of him walking a round with his head up his arse all to make Spurs look good for letting him go. It’s been by far the best football documentary so far though. Aside from that Will Grigg episode none of the others have come close.

Nothing wrong in both of them there. Daniel Levy is the chairman sitting about the dining area, no doubt the players and one who’s been there an eternity will be going to him given the relationship.

Only issue with Rose is that he had to replace Willems and wasn’t nearly as good. Glad we’re night signing him permanently.