Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Mark Douglas says Chronicle have story coming up shortly, implies it will contain buyers reaction to wto report.

I’m guessing it will be usual still confident no red flags, might ease some nerves for an hour until Kashoggi’s Mrs turns up outside  PL HQ later on demanding to be let in.

He doesn't but he's also correct. Reporting on the takeover is bread and butter for them at a time of very little actual football.

I did wonder if the papers were wording them in an inflammatory fashion so as to try and provoke a reaction from the PL or someone else within the deal.

Unlikely I know but...

Chronicle:

Premier League chiefs are not believed to have contacted Newcastle United's would-be owners to alert them of any complications regarding their takeover proposal.

It is understood that the process with the Premier League remains in the latter stages and Amanda Staveley, the Reuben brothers and Saudia Arabia's Public Investment Fund are still hoping for approval.

Fresh reports on Tuesday suggested that a 123-page document from the World Trade Organisation detailing links with the Saudia Arabia's government and pirate service beoutQ came into play this month.

But top-flight bosses have been well briefed of all the factors surrounding the bid from the get-go, and as reported by the Chronicle last week, no red flags have emerged from the relevant criteria of the owner's and director's test which is still ongoing.

The process is thought to be at the closing stages but the Premier League must consider every angle of the takeover.

I think one of the reasons the PL officials are dragging their feet, is that there has been talk that they are looking to tighten up regulations so that this sort of takeover involving foreign states is no longer possible. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that's what's been mentioned a few times.

But to me that would create further problems in that other clubs would kick off we have an unfair advantage if they did make those changes after granting permission for this deal to go through.

It's all a fucking mess tbh, they should just really apply the law as it stands and leave it at that. If the govt wants to step in then they can review it, otherwise they are just setting themselves up for more complications.

I think one of the reasons the PL officials are dragging their feet, is that there has been talk that they are looking to tighten up regulations so that this sort of takeover involving foreign states is no longer possible. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that's what's been mentioned a few times.

But to me that would create further problems in that other clubs would kick off we have an unfair advantage if they did make those changes after granting permission for this deal to go through.

It's all a fucking mess tbh, they should just really apply the law as it stands and leave it at that. If the govt wants to step in then they can review it, otherwise they are just setting themselves up for more complications.

Well they can't apply possible future changes to the rules to this deal. All they can do is pass or fail the current director test.

Very risky if they attempt to bend the rules like that. Also, don't they just want as much money in the PL as possible? Would they really care if it came from a state?

He doesn't but he's also correct. Reporting on the takeover is bread and butter for them at a time of very little actual football.

I did wonder if the papers were wording them in an inflammatory fashion so as to try and provoke a reaction from the PL or someone else within the deal.

Unlikely I know but...

I just think they need page visits. Anything that provokes an emotional reaction will get them that, so sny headline that suggests the takeover is done or off is a winner. It's pretty shameless and has contributed hugely to the decline in decent journalists in the last few years.

Well they can't apply possible future changes to the rules to this deal. All they can do is pass or fail the current director test.

Very risky if they attempt to bend the rules like that. Also, don't they just want as much money in the PL as possible? Would they really care if it came from a state?

Yes I know they can't apply future changes, don't believe I said that. What I'm saying is that if we get the go ahead, then it would make future changes to the criteria very tricky as well, as other clubs would then feel they have been denied an opportunity to be bought out by a sovereign state.

Chronicle:

Premier League chiefs are not believed to have contacted Newcastle United's would-be owners to alert them of any complications regarding their takeover proposal.

It is understood that the process with the Premier League remains in the latter stages and Amanda Staveley, the Reuben brothers and Saudia Arabia's Public Investment Fund are still hoping for approval.

Fresh reports on Tuesday suggested that a 123-page document from the World Trade Organisation detailing links with the Saudia Arabia's government and pirate service beoutQ came into play this month.

But top-flight bosses have been well briefed of all the factors surrounding the bid from the get-go, and as reported by the Chronicle last week, no red flags have emerged from the relevant criteria of the owner's and director's test which is still ongoing.

The process is thought to be at the closing stages but the Premier League must consider every angle of the takeover.

I for one choose to believe this great paper.

Why would the opinion of the WTO carry more weight than the judgement of a French court who (apparently) have already ruled on this matter..?

I mean, the thread was ready for its periodic course correction but the extremes of mood are getting ever more extreme now :lol:

Shouldn't the PL get this done ASAP before Project Restart gets underway? I'm sure once it does, there'll be plenty of problems and issues they will face then. It's not simply, 'ok we got a  date, the day comes, and its Live and then kick off' and all problems are solved.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this has actually been completed and the PL have cracked a deal with the consortium about when to announce it. Consortium announce the takeover complete early morning and PL announce restart at lunch time. The media will want to focus largely on the breaking restart news, and the subsequent resumption of the tedious fawning over Man U, Liverpool et al, minimising the outcry over the takeover. This would suit both the consortium and the PL.

The only spanner in the works, of course, is Ashley. Probably no way of stopping him blabbing.

Aye, Mike Ashley who's well known for keeping the fans in the loop!

I think you kind of missed that particular point!

It's too quiet. For such a big revelation last night there doesn't seem to be much fallout today from the press. Mirror & The Sun piggy backed the Guardians article last night but there hasn't been any frantic denial or any apparent worry from the likes of Douglas, Burt, Waugh, Caulkin etc.

Unless Caulkin has just given up & fucked off like

It's too quiet. For such a big revelation last night there doesn't seem to be much fallout today from the press. Mirror & The Sun piggy backed the Guardians article last night but there hasn't been any frantic denial or any apparent worry from the likes of Douglas, Burt, Waugh, Caulkin etc.

I don’t see why there would be since the league has had it for a couple of weeks. That’s the key thing, either the journalists who wrote it got further info saying it could block the takeover yesterday, or he say on it for 2 weeks to create a story out of nothing.

I don’t see why there would be since the league has had it for a couple of weeks. That’s the key thing, either the journalists who wrote it got further info saying it could block the takeover yesterday, or he say on it for 2 weeks to create a story out of nothing.

Thats my impression as well.

No journalist seems to be even picking up on the fact they league have had it for 2 weeks either.

No journalist seems to be even picking up on the fact they league have had it for 2 weeks either.

I assumed that we because up until last night no journo knew what evidence had been handed to the PL a fortnight ago. That said Caulkin was giving out the impression last week that things were close.

Guest reefatoon

I'm waiting for the token "fail" But please come back and try again and we will pass it.