Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Why aren’t our buyers kicking off with the premier league now, this is taking the p*ss, surely there has to be a cut off date, you can’t block or delay a takeover on the hope that some new evidence presents itself

Most likely because they know something that we don't. The secrecy surrounding this is quite rightly, watertight but the buyers will know exactly where things stand.

Why aren’t our buyers kicking off with the premier league now, this is taking the p*ss, surely there has to be a cut off date, you can’t block or delay a takeover on the hope that some new evidence presents itself

Most likely because they know something that we don't. The secrecy surrounding this is quite rightly, watertight but the buyers will know exactly where things stand.

For all we know they could be kicking off on a daily basis.

Guest chopey

1st of June at the latest, its far to complicated to block it and if the Saudis are genuinely going to bid for TV rights in that region the Premier league will want a front seat in that fight. I'm 100% confident its going through.

I have enjoyed the German games over the past week and the Italian and Spanish leagues are entertaining for a couple of games a year but the Premier league is a different animal altogether, add to that another big player with huge funds and you can name your price for the next TV deals.

Money makes the world go around and the Premier league is built on greed, you must be crackers if you think they will pass this deal up.

What's to kick off about? It takes as long as it takes. It's a complex legal process at the best of times, before you factor in all the additional and unprecedented issues the PL needs to take into consideration. This is the first time as sovereign state has bought a football club (Man City's ownership is similar, but how much so is up for debate), and not just any sovereign state but one that has been implicated in a range of potentially problematic acts ranging from murder to copyright infringement. As a result there's strong opposition from some very influential and valuable parties.

Whatever the PL's decision it needs to be legally water tight, because one road leads to a court case and the other will mean some of the league's partners are going to be less than happy.

In the meantime, just relax safe in the knowledge that there's absolutely fuck all we can do to influence this. There's no point giving yourself a stress headache over something which we exert no control.

Maybe the PL are looking from compensation from the Saudis for their part in the piracy? Okay, you can buy NUFC but we want £300M in compensation for stealing our intellectual property......or you agree to bid x amount for the next round of middle east tv rights.

Maybe the PL are looking from compensation from the Saudis for their part in the piracy? Okay, you can buy NUFC but we want £300M in compensation for stealing our intellectual property......or you agree to bid x amount for the next round of middle east tv rights.

I definitely think there's room for negotiation. I don't think the PL will say, "uh-oh, here's a red flag, reject the deal." Based on absolutely nothing I'd wager there'd be a chance given to the buyers to iron this out with the PL.

I'm finding it a bit odd also there doesn't seem to be much panic from the likes or Douglas, Caulkin, Burt etc. regarding this article.

That's dangerously close to a bribe, and any payment would be an admission from the Saudi state. I'd say it's unlilely.'

I do think the PL's general opinion on piracy will be one of 'better have them in the tent pissing out than outside pissing in'. It's suddenly in SA's interest to stop/clamp down on piracy if they stand to damage their own interests as a result, plus the O&D test is an annual thing meaning any issue and they can punish them.

The big issue is the pressure from partners and rights holders. BeIn have flipped their lid when Italy and Spain have worked with the Saudi's. The league will want to make sure they can say their hands were tied.

Basically the PL are stalling like fuck, and just waiting for someone to hand them a good enough reason to block the takeover.

I'm out.

again i'm of the opposite view, i think they're finding reasons not to block it that they can sell to their broadcasters without pissing them off

590 pages in 6 weeks. Fanastic workrate on this takeover thread. Any update?  :lol:

It's done, it's not done. It's done, it's not done.

Rinse & repeat.

So basically no one has a fucking clue.

It’s honestly probably better to try switch off and let whatever happens happens then try deal with it.

I started trying to switch off from it all and not reading this thread as much when everyone started over analysing words in a George caulkin tweet.

I've been confident this will happen from the off and I still am, as Midds says if they were looking to throw it out they'd have done so by now - and even if they do, they'll no doubt come back.

I think if this is stressing you out it's best to try and switch off from it all. I know its easier said than done, especially during lockdown, but thos could go on for  a few weeks longer, with plenty of press reports (positive and negative) picking up any development and blowing them out of proportion.

590 pages in 6 weeks. Fanastic workrate on this takeover thread. Any update?  [emoji38]

Not one.

Tonnes. Just not very useful ones.

Lol. It's on. Now it's off. It's on. It's off.....

I'm quietly confident again after reading the latest reports. Surely there can be no more 'new evidence'?

I definitely think there's room for negotiation. I don't think the PL will say, "uh-oh, here's a red flag, reject the deal." Based on absolutely nothing I'd wager there'd be a chance given to the buyers to iron this out with the PL.

I'm finding it a bit odd also there doesn't seem to be much panic from the likes or Douglas, Caulkin, Burt etc. regarding this article.

It's been widely reported that the O&D test can involve back and forth, that there isn't a flat rejection and prospective amendments to the director structure or the like can be made.

It seems this has happened already. From the outside, it looks like an issue was raised with the Sfeffield United ownership. That issue was resolved, and thus the process moves on.

This WTO report might well be the same thing. The PL says "There's an issue here", and doesn't pull out the big "REJECTED" stamp, but gets back to PIF/PCP/RB and says "Resolve this". The consortium spends time formulating its response, and it leaks two weeks later because (possibly) word that the response had been submitted. Which now needs to be considered and responded to.

Just because it's taking longer doesn't mean it's over. It means the PL and consortium are working to get it done.

Richard Bevan didn’t really enlighten, other than to say that he wondered whether Mike Ashley was holding out for the opportunity to go with the higher offer from the US. He said that he thought the plan was to resume the Premier League from the end of June and that German managers were worried that they wouldn’t actually finish the season due to a probable second spike. PS just sitting in my office at my golf club looking at Jordan Pickford arriving…

Richard Bevan didn’t really enlighten, other than to say that he wondered whether Mike Ashley was holding out for the opportunity to go with the higher offer from the US. He said that he thought the plan was to resume the Premier League from the end of June and that German managers were worried that they wouldn’t actually finish the season due to a probable second spike. PS just sitting in my office at my golf club looking at Jordan Pickford arriving…

That's very interesting...