Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Be interesting to see how much Qatar has bunged this committee to come to a conclusion in their favour. They certainly weren’t shy when it came to getting the World Cup.

Wouldn’t be concerned about that, Saudi lawyers would tear it apart.

WTO have commented . . .

“We can confirm that Qatar initiated a WTO dispute settlement case against Saudi Arabia in October 2018 regarding the protection of intellectual property rights and that a panel was established in December 2018 to review Qatar’s claims. The panel proceedings and panel process remain confidential until the final report is circulated to WTO members.”

So we have to wait for that report ?

No as it's not a court with the ability to give a legal ruling.  Legally its no different to you or I doing a report from what I can understand.

It is, but the jurisdiction is limited to trade disputes among members. If the panel were to determine that there has been wrongdoing on the part of the Saudi government the outcome would be likely to be a requirement for them to pay compensation. But I agree it seems likely that, if the panel finds against the Saudi Government, it wouldn't necessary represent conviction of a crime for the purposes of the Premier League owners and directors test.

Be interesting to see how much Qatar has bunged this committee to come to a conclusion in their favour. They certainly weren’t shy when it came to getting the World Cup.

Any report by a committee within the WTO would still have to be tested in a court of law should the PL use the conclusions as a basis to block the takeover.

WTO have commented . . .

“We can confirm that Qatar initiated a WTO dispute settlement case against Saudi Arabia in October 2018 regarding the protection of intellectual property rights and that a panel was established in December 2018 to review Qatar’s claims. The panel proceedings and panel process remain confidential until the final report is circulated to WTO members.”

No as it's not a court with the ability to give a legal ruling.  Legally its no different to you or I doing a report from what I can understand.

It is, but the jurisdiction is limited to trade disputes among members. If the panel were to determine that there has been wrongdoing on the part of the Saudi government the outcome would be likely to be a requirement for them to pay compensation. But I agree it seems likely that, if the panel finds against the Saudi Government, it wouldn't necessary represent conviction of a crime for the purposes of the Premier League owners and directors test.

You'd imagine they'll appeal it too.

WTO have commented . . .

It is, but the jurisdiction is limited trade disputes among members. If the panel were to determine that there has been wrongdoing on the part of the Saudi government the outcome would be likely to be a requirement for them to pay compensation. But I agree it seems likely that, if the panel finds against the Saudi Government, it wouldn't necessary represent conviction of a crime for the purposes of the Premier League owners and directors test.

No, the WTO is not a criminal court and can’t convict anyone.

From what is understand and a football lawyer even said this on an interview today.

The Premier League can only block it on the piracy grounds if they are found guilty by a court of law. There would also need to be a direct link between the people buying us and the people who ran the BeoutQ channel.

The WTO report is not a court of law ruling. On top of this it was commissioned by Qatar and the majority of the information provided as evidence, is likely to be provided by Qatar who have political motives to only present information that would blame Saudi Arabia.

As of yet, and most likely within the WTO report, there is no one person being linked to setting up or funding BeoutQ. There is suggestion that Saudi Arabia didn’t clamp down on it, and they are attempting to prove that it originated in Saudi Arabia. As yet though no one person nor indeed a company has been found to be the person or company behind BeoutQ. To then make that link towards PIF and to say those in charge of PIF would be impossible to do. Again going back to the first point. It would also have to be proven to be the case in a court of law. The WTO report on it’s own is not enough.

It is important to remember that this information was passed onto the Premier League a while ago. The Premier League have not suddenly rejected our takeover bid on it. The buyers in that time have said that they have not been issued any red flags. This suggests that the Premier League so far do not see it as an issue/relevant.

The Premier League have already suggested that they see PIF as a separate organisation from Saudi Arabia. As such it is unlikely that they would be concerned about both piracy that occurs in the country, or human rights abuses and their relation to PIF, I.E. there isn’t one.

From what is understand and a football lawyer even said this on an interview today.

The Premier League can only block it on the piracy grounds if they are found quirky by a court of law. There would also need to be a direct link between the people buying us and the people who ran the BeoutQ channel.

The WTO report is not a court of law ruling. On top of this it was commissioned by Qatar and the majority of the information provided as evidence, is likely to be provided by Qatar who have political motives to only present information that would blame Saudi Arabia.

As of yet, and most likely within the WTO report, there is no one person being linked to setting up or funding BeoutQ. There is suggestion that Saudi Arabia didn’t clamp down on it, and they are attempting to prove that it originated in Saudi Arabia. As yet though no one person nor indeed a company has been found to be the person or company behind BeoutQ. To then make that link towards PIF and to say those in charge of PIF would be impossible to do. Again going back to the first point. It would also have to be proven to be the case in a court of law. The WTO report on it’s own is not enough.

It is important to remember that this information was passed onto the Premier League a while ago. The Premier League have not suddenly rejected our takeover bid on it. The buyers in that time have said that they have not been issued any red flags. This suggests that the Premier League so far do not see it as an issue/relevant.

The Premier League have already suggested that they see PIF as a separate organisation from Saudi Arabia. As such it is unlikely that they would be concerned about both piracy that occurs in the country, or human rights abuses and their relation to PIF, I.E. there isn’t one.

👏👏

Any report by a committee within the WTO would still have to be tested in a court of law should the PL use the conclusions as a basis to block the takeover.

Unless you're referring to the inevitable judicial challenge should the owners and directors test be failed on that basis (or possibly form other parties should it be passed), no they don't. According to the PL rules it entirely the judgement of the PL whether something that would be a crime in this country has been committed in another country, whether or not there has been a conviction. 

WTO have commented . . .

It is, but the jurisdiction is limited trade disputes among members. If the panel were to determine that there has been wrongdoing on the part of the Saudi government the outcome would be likely to be a requirement for them to pay compensation. But I agree it seems likely that, if the panel finds against the Saudi Government, it wouldn't necessary represent conviction of a crime for the purposes of the Premier League owners and directors test.

No, the WTO is not a criminal court and can’t convict anyone.

That's actually what I said.

However, piracy is a crime in this country and the PL have to assess whether anything that would be a crime in this country has been committed in any other country whether or not a the prospective owner has been convicted. The burden of proof in that process would be likely to be on the balance of probabilities rather than beyond reasonable doubt.

I don't think this will affect the outcome of the PL OD test, but it definitely could.

WTO have commented . . .

If so I think it’s published 11/12 June.

Oh goody. That will give the PL officials a couple more weeks to avoid making a decision. 

PL official ----> :yeah:

They have the WTO report already and have supposedly had it for two weeks. We shouldn't have to wait until mid-June because of that.

I highly doubt it. First of all they still have the MENA region rights. It’s not like this has suddenly gone away from them.

Piracy issues would be happening regardless and something they would be working on. The difference is that instead of people providing a stream on a website or through Android boxes, you have one that is for country to use.

You have to remember that this piracy only occurred because BeIN stopped broadcasting is Saudi Arabia and the UAE because they wished to back their governments political campaign.

On another note, where does it say the Saudis have to be proven guilty jna the court of law?

It doesn't say that anywhere. Actually I'm fairly sure the opposite is true, that it doesn't have to be proven in a court of law. Nobody will want to hear that though...

Out of interest if we got relegated would it make the club easier to be bought or are all the tests etc exactly the same?

Supposedly easier in the championship.

That’s what I find odd but typical about how football is run.

They have the WTO report already and have supposedly had it for two weeks. We shouldn't have to wait until mid-June because of that.

I highly doubt it. First of all they still have the MENA region rights. It’s not like this has suddenly gone away from them.

Piracy issues would be happening regardless and something they would be working on. The difference is that instead of people providing a stream on a website or through Android boxes, you have one that is for country to use.

You have to remember that this piracy only occurred because BeIN stopped broadcasting is Saudi Arabia and the UAE because they wished to back their governments political campaign.

actually SA and UAE banned BeIN because of the economic blockade they started against Qatar, UAE restored it but insofar as I can tell its still banned in SA.

On another note, where does it say the Saudis have to be proven guilty jna the court of law?

It doesn't say that anywhere. Actually I'm fairly sure the opposite is true, that it doesn't have to be proven in a court of law. Nobody will want to hear that though...

Isn't the point that they'll have already been privy to the same evidence as the WTO and haven't chucked it out yet?