Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I'm firmly of the opinion that what has kept our stadium so close to capacity over the years is the location.

Definitely, I’ve expressed the same on here. It’s a lot easier to fuck a match off if it’s on some industrial estate next to an IKEA, rather than the middle of a city centre, 5 mins from loads of bars and a night out

Said this for years.

So what explains our (certainly when I was still going) extraordinary away support, when clearly the opposite is true, considering our fans have got to travel much further than any others?

Away following is a completely different phenomenon and metric of measurement to home support. They are simply not comparable.

We'll always have a good away following because we have a core of 5k who will follow us everywhere, and travel anywhere in the country, and a good amount of southern based fans for more distant trips.

In terms of home numbers, you can undoubtedly attribute thousands who turn up simply because it's part of a weekend routine of drinking. Once you move that out of the city and make it more than a 10 minute walk from bars, loads of casual support will simply not bother, certainly during tougher times anyway.

Newcastle is such a small city as well, with limited spending money in the population. Taking the fans out of the city centre would be massive.

If anything the club should be embedding even further... bigger and better retail, bars you can use all week, plenty of options.

We always have great away support. No one saying there isn’t a hardcore loyal fan base like all clubs and ours being one of the biggest. So selling out the standard 3k allocation is generally no trouble if still economically very impressive.

The myth is we are a big club in just Newcastle alone and that we are parochial when in fact there’s probably more Geordies spread around the country than a lot of perceived areas in the country. London games definitely attract a different fan base compared to some of the northern away trips IMO.

As the song goes “Geordie’s Here, Geordie’s There...”

Newcastle is such a small city as well, with limited spending money in the population. Taking the fans out of the city centre would be massive.

If anything the club should be embedding even further... bigger and better retail, bars you can use all week, plenty of options.

Newcastle is a very large UK City, we are at the centre of the 6th largest conurbation in the UK, with a population within the City Boundary of 300,000, which is large but is small compared to our 'real' population which is understated statistically because of the "weird" local authority boundaries we have had since 1974.

All of (for example) London is "in London", whereas here, large parts of "obvious built-up Newcastle" are for administrative purposes managed within North Tyneside, South East Northumberland, and Gateshead, hence the "population stats" are unrepresentative of reality.

I have sometimes heard this "Newcastle is a small City" statement (when it obviously isn't) in the past, and usually it is because people are actually only talking about the City Centre. Some people call the City Centre "Newcastle" to the seeming exclusion of the rest of Newcastle.

We do have a very 'compact' City Centre, but that is only less than 5% of the City of Newcastle.

Anyway, I agree, we must keep the ground in the City Centre !!!

Fucking hell, but every single second is dragging. Wasn't it Albert Einstein who explained the theory of relativity thusly:

"An hour in the company of a beautiful woman will feel like a minute, but a minute waiting for the PL director's test will feel like an hour".

swiss-toni-800x450.jpg?w=443&h=249&zoom=2

Actually yes, maybe it was Swiss Tony. I always confuse him and Einstein. Think it's the hair and moustache.

Are the servers for this site ready for when the announcement is made? And I can't imagine what the thread title would be when it does happen. Surely better than just saying the sale and takeover is approved??

I'm firmly of the opinion that what has kept our stadium so close to capacity over the years is the location.

Definitely, I’ve expressed the same on here. It’s a lot easier to fuck a match off if it’s on some industrial estate next to an IKEA, rather than the middle of a city centre, 5 mins from loads of bars and a night out

Said this for years.

So what explains our (certainly when I was still going) extraordinary away support, when clearly the opposite is true, considering our fans have got to travel much further than any others?

Away following is a completely different phenomenon and metric of measurement to home support. They are simply not comparable.

We'll always have a good away following because we have a core of 5k who will follow us everywhere, and travel anywhere in the country, and a good amount of southern based fans for more distant trips.

In terms of home numbers, you can undoubtedly attribute thousands who turn up simply because it's part of a weekend routine of drinking. Once you move that out of the city and make it more than a 10 minute walk from bars, loads of casual support will simply not bother, certainly during tougher times anyway.

We always have great away support. No one saying there isn’t a hardcore loyal fan base like all clubs and ours being one of the biggest. So selling out the standard 3k allocation is generally no trouble if still economically very impressive.

The myth is we are a big club in just Newcastle alone and that we are parochial when in fact there’s probably more Geordies spread around the country than a lot of perceived areas in the country. London games definitely attract a different fan base compared to some of the northern away trips IMO.

Aye I know, what I meant was that the football club makes up a bit part of the city centre... culturally and financially. Removing that reason to spend time in the city centre would be pretty risky.

Are the servers for this site ready for when the announcement is made? And I can't imagine what the thread title would be when it does happen. Surely better than just saying the sale and takeover is approved??

That's how I'm expecting confirmation - trying to log on here without success before trying the Beeb :lol:

Newcastle’s Saudi buyers facing fit and proper person test.

This test only failed by three people ever…

LOUIS TOMLINSON - DONCASTER ROVERS

DENNIS COLEMAN - ROTHERHAM UNITED

STEPHEN VAUGHAN - CHESTER CITY

Read the other day that some former board member of the Premier league said loads have failed in the past, they just weren't made public.

Said this for years.

Aye I know, what I meant was that the football club makes up a bit part of the city centre... culturally and financially. Removing that reason to spend time in the city centre would be pretty risky.

My reply was aimed bigfella[/member] and just an addition to yours :thup:

Actually I’ve a question for bigfella[/member]  which might sound weird :lol: Did I work with you around 28yrs ago?

Said this for years.

Actually I’ve a question for bigfella[/member]  which might sound weird :lol: Did I work with you around 28yrs ago?

"Work" would be pushing the truth with you Lfee  :tongue:, but yes, we've had this conversation before, many years ago, when I first joined this forum.

Said this for years.

"Work" would be pushing the truth with you Lfee  :tongue:, but yes, we've had this conversation before, many years ago, when I first joined this forum.

:lol: I thought we had but then starting doubting myself. Just had to set a password reminder tied in with first place of work the other day so must of set my memory ticking. Won’t forget this time. Hope you are well. I’m still into R.E.M.  ... they were 40yrs old a couple of weeks ago! How old does that make you?! :lol:

The last time we talked, was when Keegan came back as manager and I was considering a return, but obviously changed my mind when it all went tits up.

Never been back. Doubt I ever will now.

I jacked in my season ticket when Fat Sham got the job, so at least I can say that Ashley has never had one penny out of me.

Good owld George

I reckon there's a pretty good chance that the people involved in this bid had anticipated everything that's been thrown so far, like

Definitely, there is an article from PA sport saying that the league never even asked them questions about all the issues raised.

Guest Howaythetoon

R.E.M.  :smitten:

Would love to see them live some day!

Love Michael Stipe me, a personal hero/legend of mine.

Him and Kurt Cobain were gonna do some stuff together before he was found dead  :'(

Good owld George

I reckon there's a pretty good chance that the people involved in this bid had anticipated everything that's been thrown so far, like

Refreshing that they are nothing like we have been used to in the past 13 years, ey?

Him and Kurt Cobain were gonna do some stuff together before he was found dead  :'(

Doubt R.E.M. will ever get back together, they did things properly in terms of sharing the songwriting royalties etc, so none of them need the money.

Guest Howaythetoon

Doubt R.E.M. will ever get back together, they did things properly in terms of sharing the songwriting royalties etc, so none of them need the money.

Aye, maybe one day for a benefit gig or something?

They were always a proper band for me the minute I started getting into them (early 90s along with Nirvana (found their music first)), in it for the music the most and to a man they all seem like top people with no real egos or their own self interests to ruin any music legacy. Again Stipe is up there with Kurt and Keegan as idols of mine.

They all got me through some tough times as a teenager/young man in the early to mid 90s.

If only Kurt never died I’m sure they would have collaborated and produced some amazing stuff :thup: