Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It's so s*** it's good :lol:

:lol:

Is the "cans" thing a new phenomenon or has it been around a while? I've never heard it before. Haven't been much to celebrate for us for quite a while though, I guess.

Is the "cans" thing a new phenomenon or has it been around a while? I've never heard it before. Haven't been much to celebrate for us for quite a while though, I guess.

That Geordie Dentist bloke started it during the failed BZG takeover saga last year.

R.E.M.  :smitten:

Would love to see them live some day!

Love Michael Stipe me, a personal hero/legend of mine.

Him and Kurt Cobain were gonna do some stuff together before he was found dead  :'(

Doubt R.E.M. will ever get back together, they did things properly in terms of sharing the songwriting royalties etc, so none of them need the money.

Aye, maybe one day for a benefit gig or something?

They were always a proper band for me the minute I started getting into them (early 90s along with Nirvana (found their music first)), in it for the music the most and to a man they all seem like top people with no real egos or their own self interests to ruin any music legacy. Again Stipe is up there with Kurt and Keegan as idols of mine.

They all got me through some tough times as a teenager/young man in the early to mid 90s.

If only Kurt never died I’m sure they would have collaborated and produced some amazing stuff :thup:

Saw them live in 1984 on the life's rich pageant tour - one of the best I have ever seen and Stipe was truly wonderful

Him and Kurt Cobain were gonna do some stuff together before he was found dead  :'(

Doubt R.E.M. will ever get back together, they did things properly in terms of sharing the songwriting royalties etc, so none of them need the money.

They were always a proper band for me the minute I started getting into them (early 90s along with Nirvana (found their music first)), in it for the music the most and to a man they all seem like top people with no real egos or their own self interests to ruin any music legacy. Again Stipe is up there with Kurt and Keegan as idols of mine.

They all got me through some tough times as a teenager/young man in the early to mid 90s.

If only Kurt never died I’m sure they would have collaborated and produced some amazing stuff :thup:

Saw them live in 1984 on the life's rich pageant tour - one of the best I have ever seen and Stipe was truly wonderful

Remember them playing at Old Trafford in 2003 and thinking I would catch them next time. Jokes on me. Well they did return in 2008 to perform at Old Trafford, one of their final concerts. I had moved to middle of nowhere Canada by then. Fool me twice...

Stipe is bringing out a solo album though isn't he. Likely he will tour again for that at least.

In terms of people I wish I had seen. Queen with Freddie would have been at the top but I was too young to have the chance. Bowie played in Manchester a bunch when i lived there. Feel stupid on that one for sure.

Newcastle is such a small city as well, with limited spending money in the population. Taking the fans out of the city centre would be massive.

If anything the club should be embedding even further... bigger and better retail, bars you can use all week, plenty of options.

Newcastle is a very large UK City, we are at the centre of the 6th largest conurbation in the UK, with a population within the City Boundary of 300,000, which is large but is small compared to our 'real' population which is understated statistically because of the "weird" local authority boundaries we have had since 1974.

All of (for example) London is "in London", whereas here, large parts of "obvious built-up Newcastle" are for administrative purposes managed within North Tyneside, South East Northumberland, and Gateshead, hence the "population stats" are unrepresentative of reality.

I have sometimes heard this "Newcastle is a small City" statement (when it obviously isn't) in the past, and usually it is because people are actually only talking about the City Centre. Some people call the City Centre "Newcastle" to the seeming exclusion of the rest of Newcastle.

We do have a very 'compact' City Centre, but that is only less than 5% of the City of Newcastle.

Anyway, I agree, we must keep the ground in the City Centre !!!

We need the boundaries to go back to pre 74 tbh.

I hate the whole Tyne and Wear debacle.

That Geordie Dentist bloke started it during the failed BZG takeover saga last year.

I see 👍

I like it!

I have a friend who’s a fairly handy chef, he made friends with Stipe when he kept coming into the restaurant where he worked. Very down to earth guy.

He sorted us for tickets when they played Jools 15 odd years ago, got to sit at the tables away from the riff raff 🙂 REM were probably at their peak at that stage

Saw REM a couple of times, they were brilliant. Saw a video of Michael getting interviewed about doing a song/gig to raise money for something or other and he basically said Band wouldn’t get back together

This is worth a listen if you are bored and have some time to kill. Wraith was getting some stick on here, but he speaks pretty well, and I don't disagree with him on much he says.

FINALLY THE BIGGEST SAGA OF THE TAKEOVER IS AT AN END.#CANS #CANSFORDAYS  :itk: :Jonny2J: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi:

Ameritoon[/member]

As some of you doubtless know, a significant development in the takeover was first detailed by the telegraph on the 29th March 2020. Unfortunately the article was behind a paywall so in order to read it and share it with the forum I signed up for a free 14 day trial with the Telegraph. With the simple intention of reading the article then cancelling my sub. What follows is a cautionary tale of immense personal stress and perserverance....

On getting my trial and copying and pasting the article I then tried to cancel my subscription. The my account section on the Telegraph Online allows you to view your subscription but not cancel it. Nowhere in the my account section does it tell you how to cancel. Hidden deep within the terms and conditions for subscriptions I found the following:

a.png

Not wanting to be on the hook for 6 months I became somewhat wary about this way of operating.

Further squirrreled away was how to cancel.

b.png

The text addition is a little nod to Ameritoon who has had the same issue as me. For posterirty the number to call has been down since I took out the initial subscription. It remains down to date.

The game was afoot, I kick things off with this on the 29th March.

1.png

So far so good.  No response by the 7th April. Try the phone again which remains down so I try another address.

2.png

BriefWarmheartedAzurevase-size_restricted.gif

3.png

I then try a different address on their contact us page.

4.png

April 7th still well within my 14 days which expires on 13th April. Automated response.

5.png

This subscriptions support link does not give you any option to cancel your subscription....this becomes a theme.

April 9th another Automated response and the shotclock is ticking towards April 13th

6.png

Here's those ever so helpful links they keep referring me to.

7.png

Again the manage my subscription link does not let you cancel....we roll past the shot clock on the 13th of April and we wait.....

IjaCSTG.gif

Captains log, stardate April 17th

8.png

Im finally thinking thank fuck this is getting sorted. Turns out that this post was basically this guy ready to send me back to the ranch:

15600-19176.jpg

BECAUSE

9.png

When we follow the link to cancel here's the options....

9b.pngtenor.gif

Their response....

10.png

Back to waiting......

21st April thinking my telegraph email is confirmation of my cancellation...

11.png

Fairly standard so far... scrolling down to the same 'helpful' links

11b.png

Continuing down to the bottom of the email.....

11c.png4IUe.gif

Calm it down.

12.png

AND THEN

27th APRIL 2020 a day that will live in infamy

13.pngtenor.gif?itemid=11613859

Had hoped that this post would be catharthic. It wasn't. I would urge everyone to stay well clear.