Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

PIF have bought shares in Disney, Facebook and Starbucks.

Great, now the human rights activists can quit facebook, not watch Disney movies and never drink starbucks (along with not using Uber).

PIF have bought shares in Disney, Facebook and Starbucks.

Great, now the human rights activists can quit facebook, not watch Disney movies and never drink starbucks (along with not using Uber).

This is concerning, does this mean I can't watch Newcastle any more?

sigh

Aye, its the worst argument of all time.  Awful.

Not really the worst is it though

If you think the takeover should not be allowed to go through on moral grounds (which btw is a stance anyone is entitled to and it's understandable) but then you happily view/consume content/products in which they also have investments it's hypocrisy, now some people are comfortable being selective and again that's their prerogative but the hypocrisy can be called out

I still do not understand why newcastle fans of any fans, think that it you have to be raving fans of a clubs owner? Have some people decked their houses out entirely in sports direct stuff cos they think people have to suck off whoever owns the club or something? Do people not understand that it is possible to be conflicted about the ownership, excited for prospects of investment but feeling a bit bad about where it's coming from? Do they really live monk like existence of absolutes and loudly proclaim on the street at anyone who wants the world to be a little better but dares to drive a car or something? Hate how us who do feel probably shouldn't be entirely happy with saudi ownership are cast as humourless moralists when people are desperatley excusing chopping up people to shout hypocrit at others.

for the record i will never resent anyone looking forward to this takeover, god the club needs some ambition. But like most things it is complicated.

sigh

If you think the takeover should not be allowed to go through on moral grounds (which btw is a stance anyone is entitled to and it's understandable) but then you happily view/consume content/products in which they also have investments it's hypocrisy, now some people are comfortable being selective and again that's their prerogative but the hypocrisy can be called out

No it is not hypocrisy at all. These things are not comparable. I have to put petrol in my car, and even if i didn't I get the bus, so that consumes petrol. I have to get home from town, so I use an uber. There are things that you use in a society because you have to. The argument that I should quit using uber is ridiculous. If we applied that logic unilaterally, nobody could disagree with anything. Hate capitalism mate, well you've got an iphone! Check mate!

Take away the essential products then, you don't need Disney products or need to use Facebook or need to have Starbucks etc

That's where the hypocrisy lies, I don't expect people to stop driving but if you object to the takeover on moral grounds but you blast through Disney+ then aye that's a bit dodgy and selective

sigh

No it is not hypocrisy at all. These things are not comparable. I have to put petrol in my car, and even if i didn't I get the bus, so that consumes petrol. I have to get home from town, so I use an uber. There are things that you use in a society because you have to. The argument that I should quit using uber is ridiculous. If we applied that logic unilaterally, nobody could disagree with anything. Hate capitalism mate, well you've got an iphone! Check mate!

I can't really argue too much as I'm fairly ignorant to it all.  I will be ecstatic if this goes through and won't feel bad about it, doesn't mean i agree with what they've done... Do? Completely understand other people can't switch off from it like I do.

But these arguments of 'well stop doing everything they're involved with' makes no sense to me because it's putting them in a completely different light on a massive stage, not like their stake in Uber for example.

Ah fuck it.... It's all been said.

sigh

Take away the essential products then, you don't need Disney products or need to use Facebook or need to have Starbucks etc

That's where the hypocrisy lies, I don't expect people to stop driving but if you object to the takeover on moral grounds but you blast through Disney+ then aye that's a bit dodgy and selective

So what you're saying is that Newcastle United is the same to you as any other business? That's fine if that's your position but it's a bit of a weird one for most football fans.

NUFC is the worldwide representative of my city so I'm inclined to want to be able to feel proud of it and what it stands for.

The only way it's comparable with Uber or Disney is if you have an emotional stake in those businesses. I couldn't give two fucks if they went under tomorrow so it's not the same in the slightest. I don't give a toss who owns Uber. I do care who owns Newcastle United. Is the difference between those two positions genuinely difficult to understand?

I care more if someone kills my wife than if someone kills your wife. That's not hypocrisy, it's life. I care more about things I care about than things I don't.

sigh

So what you're saying is that Newcastle United is the same to you as any other business? That's fine if that's your position but it's a bit of a weird one for most football fans.

NUFC is the worldwide representative of my city so I'm inclined to want to be able to feel proud of it and what it stands for.

The only way it's comparable with Uber or Disney is if you have an emotional stake in those businesses. I couldn't give two fucks if they went under tomorrow so it's not the same in the slightest.

I care more if someone kills my wife than if someone kills your wife. That's not hypocrisy, it's life. I care more about things I care about than things I don't.

That's not my position at all, I want the takeover to go ahead even if I can at the same time accept the SA regime has issues

If you (or anyone else) don't care about those businesses and whether they go under then it's easier to leave those things in comparison to the emotional investment of nufc

I've previously said there is an element of hypocrisy in us all, I've said if it was the Israeli government buying us I would object but i'm not oblivious to the fact it would be hypocritical

I don’t think it’s wrong to point out how these other companies are being invested in without an outrage against them.

Uber isn’t exactly essential, theirs plenty of other taxi companies, plenty of other forms of transport.

Disney isn’t essential, but they do good movies and it’s a way to keep children entertained in terms of soft toys and Disney Land/World alongside their movies.

Starbucks isn’t essential and theirs plenty of more coffee shops out there, and in my opinion better ones.

I’m sorry but I get that Newcastle United is classed as a way of sports washing, however surely the investment in other companies is a form of brand washing?

If PIF bought out Coca Cola tomorrow would people expect the city of Atalanta to denounce them and buy Pepsi instead?

The answer would be no.

It’s not just PIF and Saudi Arabia though, it the same faux outrage across the country and world like.

You have people kicking off about benefit scrounges but will happily use Google products/services, buy Starbucks coffee, do their shopping on Amazon, have a phone contract with Vodafone etc when they pay virtually no tax.

It’s fucking stupid, it’s a reason for people to say ‘I’m better than you’ without the awareness of the irony.

In the grand scheme of things if you really object to Saudi Arabia and PIF from taking part in our world until they change their ways, then objecting to their business practises elsewhere would be getting to the route of the problem more. You know why, because this is where they are going to make money, this is what’s going to keep and gain them contacts in the western world, this is what’s going to keep them in our world. Buying Newcastle isn’t making them a profit for a long time, it isn’t creating massive business contacts etc.

So yeah some people are pissed off because others have declared a faux outrage at them buying us over the last month. They have asked for Newcastle fans to call a halt to it, they have asked for our fans to make a sacrifice, meanwhile these people are buying Starbucks coffee’s, taking an Uber into town, and booking holiday to Florida where they’ll take their kids to Disney World, and hop on a cruise.

Asking/demanding people who they don’t know to make a sacrifice they don’t understand meanwhile they can go about their merry way living a life full of benefits from the people they supposedly oppose us a bitter pill I and many others understandably aren’t willing to swallow.

Should the fiancé now write open letter to the world to boycott Disney, Facebook and Starbucks?

It would be as much use as writing a letter to our fans etc.

As I have said, it’s the investment in global brands and billion dollar businesses that is going to keep the Saudi Arabians in our world longer than their involvement in our football club. That is where they are going to be making their money. That is going to be where their business and other contacts are made.

Should the fiancé now write open letter to the world to boycott Disney, Facebook and Starbucks?

Those investments to my knowledge weren't subject to a test like ours is

The investment in us is a tiny, tiny portion of the total PIF assets. The letters are clearly about raising awareness which is understandable but those are huge companies so you would expect similar letters at least addressing the concerns even if the end result is just a bit of awareness

All these investments will just make it harder for the PL to say no. I don’t think they would have anyway, but think this will make it more difficult.

If they do say no I suspect the premier league facebook page is going to get bombarded

All these investments will just make it harder for the PL to say no. I don’t think they would have anyway, but think this will make it more difficult.

If they do say no I suspect the premier league facebook page is going to get bombarded

I've no idea how they'll cope with that. I'm sure that'll bring the whole organisation of the PL to its knees.

I've no idea how they'll cope with that. I'm sure that'll bring the whole organisation of the PL to its knees.

That wasn't the point I was making

sigh

The only way it's comparable with Uber or Disney is if you have an emotional stake in those businesses. I couldn't give two fucks if they went under tomorrow so it's not the same in the slightest. I don't give a toss who owns Uber. I do care who owns Newcastle United. Is the difference between those two positions genuinely difficult to understand?

wow! Things took a turn for the worst last night.