Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

If he was to buy 1 centre, I honestly doubt it would be either Eldon Square or Metro Centre. As I have already pointed out, he’s recently spent £30m on a unit in Newcastle where he is planning on moving all of his stores into once H&M and WHSmiths’ leases are up.

He also owns or has a long lease on a unit outside of the MetroCentre next to Ikea where he has also moved a lot of his businesses into.

Trafford is the jewel in their crown.

The ones that always get mentioned on our "so-called" National TV News Stations, are the Trafford Centre and Lakeside.  Lakeside only gets mentioned because it is "down South" and about 15 years ago it lied that it was "the biggest indoor shopping centre in Europe" (which it never was, Metrocentre was, and is, that) but of course the Southern Parochials still remember the lie !!!

Guest neesy111

Honestly buying a shopping centre would be the ultimate risk take, he could lose everything if it didn't work out.

They were already on the decline, the current pandemic has accelerated that process.

If he was to buy 1 centre, I honestly doubt it would be either Eldon Square or Metro Centre. As I have already pointed out, he’s recently spent £30m on a unit in Newcastle where he is planning on moving all of his stores into once H&M and WHSmiths’ leases are up.

He also owns or has a long lease on a unit outside of the MetroCentre next to Ikea where he has also moved a lot of his businesses into.

The ones that always get mentioned on our "so-called" National TV News Stations, are the Trafford Centre and Lakeside.  Lakeside only gets mentioned because it is "down South" and about 15 years ago it lied that it was "the biggest indoor shopping centre in Europe" (which it never was, Metrocentre was, and is, that) but of course the Southern Parochials still remember the lie !!!

There is two well known stories about it.

One was that is was built to become bigger than the MetroCentre, but they got the calculations wrong and it was still smaller, so they built another across the water which again was still not big enough.

The other is that they built it to make it bigger than the MetroCentre, but whisky they were building it the MetroCentre has an extension added to it, which made it the biggest still.

Honestly buying a shopping centre would be the ultimate risk take, he could lose everything if it didn't work out.

They were already on the decline, the current pandemic has accelerated that process.

It's weird isnt it. Some people just go to shops to be out and about. I quite like having a browse from time to time, provided its not to busy.

What will replace the high street? Clothes shops are going, pubs are going, betting shops too. What does the future hold? Pubs and restaurants?

Very much doubt he'd lose everything. Its what Limited liability is for.

The MetroCentre is hardly the best place to be in anyway. I personally hate the place.

From a personal point of view, its the place we used the most, but mainly due to the free parking, and living just over the water from it. Its been a good few years since I even ventured into Eldon Square. When we do go to the Metrocentre, its always of an evening when it is/was quieter. Would never go daytime on a saturday/sunday, unless to the cinema.

But even pre-covid, it seemed to be struggling with loads of empty units, including some large/prominent ones.

Only going to get worse with Debenhams not re-opening over there either.

It's weird isnt it. Some people just go to shops to be out and about. I quite like having a browse from time to time, provided its not to busy.

What will replace the high street? Clothes shops are going, pubs are going, betting shops too. What does the future hold? Pubs and restaurants?

Not so long ago there was a spell when more pubs opened that shut. City centres will become "expeeience and entertainment " based, even more residential.

Yeah Lakeside is very much in Bluewaters shadow too hence why Trafford is certainly their best asset.

John Whittaker (original developer of Trafford who subsequently swapped it for shares in Capital Shopping Centres who later became INTU) would want to take it back personally I should imagine so there would be one rival of Tubbs straight away if my notion was proven.

The MetroCentre is hardly the best place to be in anyway. I personally hate the place.

I dont like the other customers. You know the sort, dressed up like they are going on a catwalk but I quite like just having a little nose about. It's a day out, more than it's a real shopping affair.

When its rammed its lifting.

Guest neesy111

I'd be buzzing if Mike Ashley bought the Metrocentre, another excuse never to set foot in the place.

So true.

so ashley has fought against landlords for years and is now going to become one then?  hm

You think it's too far fetched?

If anything, it makes sense to me.

Also worth remembering that when he became a billionaire (upon listing) he'd almost certainly have moved some of that money into commercial property as most mega rich folk do. It's just another asset class for them.

Alan Sugar for example owns Amsprop which owns a fair bit of London commercial real estate and he bought that after making his money.

so ashley has fought against landlords for years and is now going to become one then?  hm

Also worth remembering that when he became a billionaire (upon listing) he'd almost certainly have moved some of that money into commercial property as most mega rich folk do. It's just another asset class for them.

Alan Sugar for example owns Amsprop which owns a fair bit of London commercial real estate and he bought that after making his money.

Makes perfect sense to me too.

He can diversify into rent seeking.

Yup - as I say, this is me putting 2+2 together and may end up being total nonsense but there has to be a reason he's sold up now, he's on record as hating INTU and we all know he's a vindictive cunt ("you don't know how nasty we can be" Llambias).

Certainly a possibility imho and one I reckon he'd have 100% looked at, at the very least.

yeah the landlord thing makes sense, he's recently bought a shop in yarm high street where i live actually

just the metro centre or equivalent seems a major risk in that it's an all eggs in one basket type affair rather than him cherry picking numerous smaller, better sites

dunno, can see both ways, if he can get it for a song then yeah probably

Some folk seem to approve of it, mind

Was fucking amazing back in the day.  Got to remember there was no internet shopping.  Growing up I lived about 10 min from it and went to Metroland and the arcades all the times.  Invented an amazing scam to get free wristband.  That along with going to the pictures and trying to get blokes to buy UFC VHS's for me as I was under it I loved it.

JS56164784.jpg

Some folk seem to approve of it, mind

Was fucking amazing back in the day.  Got to remember there was no internet shopping.  Growing up I lived about 10 min from it and went to Metroland and the arcades all the times.  Invented an amazing scam to get free wristband.  That along with going to the pictures and trying to get blokes to buy UFC VHS's for me as I was under it I loved it.

JS56164784.jpg

I live 10 minutes from it as well. Born in Whickham. I used to love Metro Land. The soft play was mint for a game of tuggy (tag) when you were a kid.