Callum Wilson

Strawberry

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The other position Isak 'can' play is where we also have Gordon and Barnes. A lot of investment to have both on the bench. Think the balance we have with Wilson and Isak for the number 9 position with the likes of Gordon and Joelinton able to step in is fine. Who do City have beyond Haaland and Alvarez for example other than 'false 9s' they bring in?

Agree with this, have seen a few people saying we need a third striker but I can’t think of another team in world football that have 3 genuinely good strikers that consistently rotate with each other . It’s just not possible. If anything we are very lucky we have two top class strikers as not many teams have that even.

Edited by Geogaddi

22 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Agree with this, have seen a few people saying we need a third striker but I can’t think of another team in world football that have 3 genuinely good strikers that consistently rotate with each other . It’s just not possible. If anything we are very lucky we have two top class strikers as not many teams have that even.

That's why it needs to be someone who can play there but can also play in other roles. That gives them more chance of game time. I'd be looking for someone young who perhaps isn't an out and out goalscorer that plays a slightly deeper, link up type player. 

46 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The other position Isak 'can' play is where we also have Gordon and Barnes. A lot of investment to have both on the bench. Think the balance we have with Wilson and Isak for the number 9 position with the likes of Gordon and Joelinton able to step in is fine. Who do City have beyond Haaland and Alvarez for example other than 'false 9s' they bring in?

Not just there but behind a Wilson type. 4231 stylee.

Re City, they have so many more threats and constantly change formation pattern plus they don't seem to be as injury prone as our two.

Edited by madras

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Not just there but behind a Wilson type. 4231 stylee.

Re City, they have so many more threats and constantly change formation pattern plus they don't seem to be as injury prone as our two.

This is the crux of it, for me.  Wilson has been a long term crock since his Bournemouth days, possibly even before at Coventry.  

Isak has been injured most of this season with his knee and played through it, then his groin, now the same groin again. He missed ages last season, as well and even signed with a slight injury that hampered him for his first few games. 

If both consistently stayed fit then it wouldn’t be an issue. But seeing as they can’t, we quite clearly need some cover there who could provide a bit of a goal threat, or perhaps be able to play out wide, as well.

Even if it was a more junior player that we would try to develop. It would still help lighten the load. Wilson isn’t getting any younger, either. So you’d imagine the club are already thinking about his successor in the not too distant future. 

Yeah. That is fair. I’m sure they will have far more data around these things than us fans. But it still seems a bit of a risk to be relying so heavily on someone that is so susceptible. I also think Howe referenced his training regime (may have been journos) and managing his minutes and workload when we have multiple games. 

43 minutes ago, STM said:

That's why it needs to be someone who can play there but can also play in other roles. That gives them more chance of game time. I'd be looking for someone young who perhaps isn't an out and out goalscorer that plays a slightly deeper, link up type player. 

once the injuries settle down isn’t that Gordon? With Barnes being his deputy on the left (or big Joe)?

51 minutes ago, STM said:

Federico Chiesa

Amine Gouiri

Savio

Gabri Veiga

N Williams 

Chiesa or Gouiri would be at the top of my list 

The camera was panning away there was a moment he was tackled and the other arsenal player went down too and he cupped his hands on the lads shoulders to keep him from getting up and supporting the attack I actually really enjoyed. 

Felt a little isolated today and maybe the game was played at too high of a tempo for him at times. Got to remember right now we are asking alot of him an so far hasn't let us down. 

15 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

I had the game on mute, so he didn’t come off injured?

Nope. Combination of him being tired and managing his minutes I reckon so we have a striker available for the next two games.

I'm still thinking about that chance he missed versus Dortmund. Feels like these couple of weeks where's he's played so many more minutes is taking it's toll on him. He did alright against Aresnal but its such a shame Isak is out to help share the burden with him.

30 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Every striker will miss one or two but its him getting in these positions even in tough games like this is what matters, it was a very hard night for him but he gave it his all and i'm happy we managed to rest him a bit for a huge game on Tuesday.

Seen Halland do the same loads of time. Getting into the positions when it was so tight was great play. Any other game one of them goes in.