Elliot Anderson

joeyt

Fair play to him. Looked a really intelligent player this pre-season. Shame we don’t have the squad to let him go on loan and play lots of football this season, but on the other hand working with Howe every day in training is obviously a positive.

Think he'll start the season with Willock & Longstaff being out and Tonali not up to scratch yet, and him reporting back in such a good physical condition. Then it'll obviously be how he performs in those first games that will define his season whether it's as a back-up/rotation or regular.

Edited by Conjo

27 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Fair play to him. Looked a really intelligent player this pre-season. Shame we don’t have the squad to let him go on loan and play lots of football this season, but on the other hand working with Howe every day in training is obviously a positive.

There’s absolutely no need to send him out on loan. He’s good enough to be a useful part of the squad this season 

27 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Looks like he’s come on leaps and bounds physically.  He looks ready 

Love this, look at how Willock came on from his 70 mins to a 90 minute player. Elliot on the right path, and just imagine what Miley will become when he adds further man strength. 

I would loan him out to a Championship team and use Miley as back up until Christmas, if he does well then extend for the rest of the season.

We can make the call then about his long term prospects around the first team and if he’s had an excellent season on loan we are more likely to get a decent fee for him if he doesn’t make the grade.

5 minutes ago, magvicar said:

Anderson has cemented his place among the first team squad now. He's come of age and certainly lived up to expectation and more.

I'm glad he's been doing well in pre-season but the acid test is how he does in the league. Haris Vuckic used to look amazing every pre-season before dwindling away when the season started for real.

I think he’ll carry the form into the season but only if he gets regular minutes. It’s a bit of a shit situation for him and us. He should be playing regularly 70 minutes each match and he would be for some premier league teams but his minutes for us are going to be irregular 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think he’ll carry the form into the season but only if he gets regular minutes. It’s a bit of a shit situation for him and us. He should be playing regularly 70 minutes each match and he would be for some premier league teams but his minutes for us are going to be irregular 

Im wondering if he might be starter, at least for the 1st half a dozen games or so.

Willock and Longstaff are not ready due to last seasons injuries. Tonali is new to the league and Howe will likely ease him in.

So im thinking Bruno, Joelinton and Billy as starters.

I think Tonali and Bruno will start in CM for sure.

Joelinton will either take the third spot in midfield or play LW.

I think Anderson is fighting with Barnes for a starting position in the first game, possibly with Gordon too if we see him as a LW.

Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him start against Villa. Howe believes in momentum and he's had a brilliant pre-season, whilst Willock's and Longstaff's have both been affected by injury. I think the boss absolutely loves him; he offered that soundbite about his fitness results unprompted in that last interview; he wouldn't do that unless he was genuinely impressed. 

I think we'll see a lot of Anderson this season. 

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him start against Villa. Howe believes in momentum and he's had a brilliant pre-season, whilst Willock's and Longstaff's have both been affected by injury. I think the boss absolutely loves him; he offered that soundbite about his fitness results unprompted in that last interview; he wouldn't do that unless he was genuinely impressed. 

I think we'll see a lot of Anderson this season. 

We still have some games before the season, but I think he deserves a start against Villa. It will probably be Joelinton on the left if we want to get some more physicality in the midfield 

10 hours ago, Shak said:

I think Tonali and Bruno will start in CM for sure.

Joelinton will either take the third spot in midfield or play LW.

I think Anderson is fighting with Barnes for a starting position in the first game, possibly with Gordon too if we see him as a LW.

not the first few games.

19 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I would loan him out to a Championship team and use Miley as back up until Christmas, if he does well then extend for the rest of the season.

We can make the call then about his long term prospects around the first team and if he’s had an excellent season on loan we are more likely to get a decent fee for him if he doesn’t make the grade.

Would send a terrible message to Anderson and rest of the youth set up. Coming back to pre-season training in best condition in the squad? Go on to have a brilliant pre-season, scoring against tough PL competition? Here - go on loan for the season at Plymouth.

He'll start for us against Villa unless something unusual happens in the remaining games before the season starts.

Aye that'd be an awful look. Imagine telling him after being patient last season and looking class this pre-season that he's not going to be a part of the CL experience and will be heading to Millwall away while we're in the San Siro or wherever. 

It would be harsh on Anderson but I don’t think it would send out a wrong message to those in the youth set up, if anything it demonstrates there is a plan for developing youth players through loans which is already happening with Minteh, Kuol and about to happen with Ashby.

The issue with Anderson is he should have gone out in January but didn’t as we sold Shelvey without a replacement, so there is a feeling of obligation to keep him because he didn’t go out then, despite it now probably not being the best thing for either him or the club.

My biggest concern is that he stays, hardly gets any real game time and the club outgrows him over the next few years anyway where he isn’t even good enough for a squad player, with us handling his development that badly he isn’t even worth much in terms of a transfer fee either.