Elliot Anderson

joeyt

Howe put him in his best position today. It's where he himself also prefers to play so hope Howe sticks with it and eventually replaces Willock with him as a regular starter.. He's not fast enough to play effectively on the wing in the PL.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

According to fbref, he's played 74mins across five appearances.

With ASM out and Isak still returning to fitness, if he doesn't get some decent minutes in the next three games is it fair to start questioning the decision not to send him out on loan?

Early days but I'd agree if in Jan and nothing has changed.

Hopefully by then, his appearances will earn him a loan to a top championship club or even a lower Prem club?

Edited by Weezertron

6 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

According to fbref, he's played 74mins across five appearances.

With ASM out and Isak still returning to fitness, if he doesn't get some decent minutes in the next three games is it fair to start questioning the decision not to send him out on loan?

Nah, I think spending 5 months in the first-team squad, getting PL matchday experience and letting Howe see him first hand is invaluable. He was only here about 6 weeks last season before he went to Bristol Rovers so would have been the first real chance Howe would have been able to assess properly. Can easily loan him out in January or even next summer tbh. 

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Nah, I think spending 5 months in the first-team squad, getting PL matchday experience and letting Howe see him first hand is invaluable. He was only here about 6 weeks last season before he went to Bristol Rovers so would have been the first real chance Howe would have been able to assess properly. Can easily loan him out in January or even next summer tbh. 

Yeah, if you look at his progress over the last 18 months he’s gone from 6 months of training with a non league outfit under Bruce, to 6 months of regularly playing League 2, to now 6 months of training under Howe and alongside players like Bruno, Wilson, Trippier and Botman. Even if he hasn’t played as much as he’d hoped, his knowledge, understanding and tactical awareness will have developed massively.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get an upper end championship loan in January, somewhere like Norwich or Blackburn would be ideal. 

Training with Howe and Tindall is going to be key.  They'll bring him on, coach him properly to maximise his potential and he'll learn where he's going to fit into our system and how we want him to play.

First team experience in the lower leagues is good but there's something to be said for keeping him here, integrating him into our team and routines and having him work with a high quality coaching setup.

I genuinely think with his ability it’sa case of when not if he starts moving up the pecking order ahead of Murphy etc.

he seems to take the premiere games in his stride and doesn’t get phased at all.

46 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Could today be his day?

Willock gets on before him if things need shaking up, no doubt about that. So unless 1 of the 3 midfielders gets injured I reckon he'll get 5 minutes at most.

25 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Willock gets on before him if things need shaking up, no doubt about that. So unless 1 of the 3 midfielders gets injured I reckon he'll get 5 minutes at most.

So he's behind Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Shelvey & Longstaff in CM and ASM, Almiron, Fraser, Murphy and (presumably) Isak out wide.

I get the point about the quality of training but I think keeping him around to be 6th choice CM/winger was daft and potentially detrimental to his development. 

Howe has been very good at keeping players who arent getting many games on side and involved behind the scenes, and he is no doubt getting more intense, useful and tactically aware training than he would be at a championship club most likely. I agree it's a shame he's not getting more competitive minutes, I imagine he will get a lot of time in the cups but I don't think it is detrimental for his development. Now not saying he is comparable talent but I remember how long it took for Guardiola to phase in Foden, even I from an England perspective was like why isn't he starting often he's clearly brilliant hah. That paid off. 

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

So he's behind Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Shelvey & Longstaff in CM and ASM, Almiron, Fraser, Murphy and (presumably) Isak out wide.

I get the point about the quality of training but I think keeping him around to be 6th choice CM/winger was daft and potentially detrimental to his development. 

No I wouldn't say he's behind Shelvey or Longstaff, rather that he isn't even in competition with those 2 as he's never going to play as the holding midfielder.

Out wide is a different matter, you'd think he'd have had more minutes already if Howe wanted to play him there at all. Seems like it's 2 of the 3 midfield positions for Anderson or he doesn't get on the pitch at all.

That touch to bring down the pass from Longstaff was absolutely class, also the way he keeps running is great. Winning that corner and the freekick he got us really helped reduce the pressure as Everton were dominating the ball more until he came on

24 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That touch to bring down the pass from Longstaff was absolutely class, also the way he keeps running is great. Winning that corner and the freekick he got us really helped reduce the pressure as Everton were dominating the ball more until he came on

Willock should've buried that header as well. Anderson laid it on a plate for him. 

9 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Willock should've buried that header as well. Anderson laid it on a plate for him. 

Tbf it was a tad too high. If he'd ducked Fraser could've brought it down, put the kettle on, made himself a brew then tapped it in. 

Should be starting on the left imo. Don't think Murphy was bad tonight and he played a big part in the goal especially, but Anderson looks really good whenever he comes on. Willock should've buried the headed chance and tbh Anderson should've laid it off for Willock again when he worked that shooting chance. Otherwise he looked physical, technical and capable in the air. 

Looks a real talent and I can't wait to see more of him. 

Very snappy at times obviously young and trying his hardest to impress which can make you not look your best but he seems a prospect and want to see more of him........ before the squad is full of 40m+ players in all positions 🤑