Elliot Anderson

joeyt

It's hard for a player to look like they're at this level when they only get ten-twenty minutes and are desperate to impress. Give him more minutes and then we can see how ready he is, I think given our options we should hopefully be seeing more and more of him

I think he'll be used off the bench the next two games and then start against Palace in the cup.  I just don't see Howe chucking him from the off, just yet.   

He certainly offers something a bit different to our other available wide options and the same for the midfield.  

20 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Is he the finished article? Not by a long way. Is he currently better than Murphy? Yes, by a long way. Will him playing help develop him? Yes.

If Howe is in the position where he is considering Murphy, he should use Anderson instead. Very simple.

Totally agree.

Just now, STM said:

Can Anderson press as well as Murphy and be trusted to track back like Murphy?

Devil's advocate.

Maybe not. However we would end up having the ball more and not losing it as easily. 

I think he will start against Spurs. Rightly so, the kid deserves it.

Because he played own the left when he came on and because of the position I sit in I saw a lot of him when he came on last night.

Looks pretty assured with the ball and strong in the tackle, with and without the ball.

He is desperate for his first senior goal, that is clear so I hope that doesn't overshadow him being a good team player.  At least once, maybe twice, he screamed his name for the Newcastle player in front of him to allow the long passed ball go through to him and he completely missed it when it arrived at him.  There is one occasion of that which I was really disappointed with, had he taken the ball he would have been one good touch away from creating a lot of space for him to allow a drive into the box.

He got more time against Everton than he has in the last 2 games. Maybe a sign he'll be getting more time/starting against Spurs, who knows.

But I would be surprised if he starts even though Murphy was worse than usual yesterday. Fraser is more likely to take Murphys spot I would imagine.

50 minutes ago, Nine said:

Don’t expect him to start any time soon myself, looks quality in moments but not sure he’s there overall yet.

He's not. He's looked threatening, but still looks like he's trying to find his way at this level, which is understandable. He doesn't look a million miles off tbh, he's just missing the final touch from hitting a goal. The good thing is, he is definitely looking to hurt the opposition rather than take the easy option and pass sideways.

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I may have missed this somewhere but did he pick up a knock or something that ruled him out of Spurs?

hopefully or else very Pardew-Esque to have three left backs on the bench

• 3 weeks later...