Joe Willock

32 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Could he not play in a front 3? Want him in the team but think the midfield is best with Bruno, Shelvey and Joe.

I think he offers more than ASM at the moment, and could easily take his place. 

Not sure whats going on with ASM, but he is not really offering much.

What a turn and run from him to set the goal up.

Anyone got a replay/slowmo of the spin when he received the pass? Haven't seen it replayed anywhere

Edited by Ridman

Had this chat with @Minhosa yesterday that with some coaching, Willock may be a really interesting option as a wide forward for us. 

@Hanshithispantzmentioned this as well in the bruno thread. Yesterday’s Willock cameo was exactly what he should be doing, direct and pacy attacking player. 

Guest HTT II
5 hours ago, Kanji said:

Had this chat with @Minhosa yesterday that with some coaching, Willock may be a really interesting option as a wide forward for us. 

@Hanshithispantzmentioned this as well in the bruno thread. Yesterday’s Willock cameo was exactly what he should be doing, direct and pacy attacking player. 

Aye, play him as a wide forward or just off Wood.

On 31/01/2022 at 20:30, Elephant said:

We need him to step up his game now, because after failing to sign new attacking players, he is our only hope when ASM gets injured. Bring back the form of last season!

I wrote this when the transfer window closed. He really has stepped up and become the player we wanted. I’m very happy to see him shine as he has potential to be a very good player for years to come.

I dunno people sometimes think a centre mid could play a false 9 easily but I don't think it's quite so easy to suddenly get used to it. Willock's game is those runs from deep into the box, part of that being successful is having a striker or another player already in teh box pulling defenders, and equally someone up front to lay the ball off to him arriving. In false 9 we wouldnt have anyone to hold up play and defenders could mark him like a striker as there's no-one else there. The reason false 9s are rare is cos it's hard to do!

Would consider dropping Joelinton for him, but it would be harsh, Joelinton's performances are a little worse of late, maybe he's run himself into the ground a little so could be a reasonable rotation anyway. I am not sure on Willock as false 9 but maaaaybe as a winger but not ideal. 

Could consider the old diamond formation

dubs

Kraft    Schar              Burn      Target

Shelvey

Bruno             Joe

Willock

Wood   ASM

Obviously asks a lot of defensive work of the full backs which is the big problem

52 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Could consider the old diamond formation

dubs

Kraft    Schar              Burn      Target

Shelvey

Bruno             Joe

Willock

Wood   ASM

Obviously asks a lot of defensive work of the full backs which is the big problem

Was thinking this too, but our full backs just don’t have enough to carry the flanks alone particularly going forwards. 

Yeah they'd have to stay fairly defensive and the overloads would have to come from ASM drifting wide, in other words would need plenty of training ground work to get a formation to work to squeeze a player in with plenty of capacity for it to just not work. I think maybe pushing Joe out wide is maybe more sensible, or just seeing how Willock does and give Joe a rest. Not against just having him as a super sub either really. 

We need to stop calling Joelinton "Joe" mind, it gets too confusing when discussing him and Willock in the same sentence.

Either all three of them goes by just Jo (so Shelvey doesn't feel left out) or or none of them get to go by first name only.