Joe Willock

Probably just a case of the club going cap in hand to the bigger clubs begging for a player and us being lucky enough to get a good player.

Seems a weird move on Arsenal’s part loaning him out for Odegaard unless they think they’ll sign him permanently. They’re not going to finish top 6 so would have been a perfect chance to give him the first team minutes that they’ll end up giving to a loanee themselves.

Guest neesy111

I'd say give a few games to fully judge him.  He was easily our best midfielder yesterday but lets see how he plays against a team that weren't as naïve as Southampton yesterday.

How much would he cost? £20-30m probably with Arsenal demanding a ‘buy back’ clause around the £40m mark?

Contracted till 2023 so probably roughly £20m aye. Need to see more to truly know if he's worth it like. Arsenal are such a disorganised, incompetent club when it comes to transfers and contracts though so who knows.

When was the last time we saw one of midfielders make a run and score a goal like that?

Shelvey is our creative midfielder, but he likes to play in front of the defence and show off his range of passing skills. You'd need to get shot of him to play someone like Willock. Personally I much prefer having someone who actually makes runs into the box rather than a midfielder who pings the odd nice crossfield pass from his own half.

Even if Arsenal aren't selling, at least it will highlight the sort of player we should be going for if the takeover goes through.

• 2 weeks later...

I have loved the emergence of Almiron recently but I think quietly Willock has been the real game changer. Having a real set of legs at CM has been huge. He's brought more out of Hayden too just by being someone else in the center of the park with a bit of movement and good first touch.

He's good when he's under pressure and has to play a one touch pass. Lewis dawdled on the left at one point in the first half, played it back to Willock who was marked and being closed down by another Wolves player and he played a lovely first touch pass to Almiron to get us out of a tight spot and into the final third. He's been decent.

I like him. Really should have scored, though. If we won that and ended up staying up. He’d be on his way to being a bit of a cult hero already after the Southampton goal.

He gets forward well and he’s a lot more comfortable on the ball than most our players. He’s also for great fitness levels. It was a daft thing to do, as he ended up gassed and couldn’t track back. But still had enough energy at the end of the game to sprint about 60-70 yards and close the keeper down.

You can tell he’s not been here long and came through a proper youth setup.

• 2 weeks later...