Joe Willock

We basically needed this version of Willock all season - one who can carry the team forward with or without Maxi; one who can press and keep things ticking and get the goal. He’s better in the attack than Joelinton and of our midfield 3 we’ll need him to do that. I suspect he’s better goal scorer than Bruno G too. Different players really. Sky’s the limit for Willock if he can stay fit and get into form again. 

7 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

I know all players talk up the current boss, but the manager and tactics stuff there is about as thinly veiled a dig at Bruce as you're likely to see. 

It's more an acknowledgment of Howe's qualities IMO. Joe and Maxi are two players who found it easier to coast games due to Bruce's simple tactics, i.e., defend with 8 men and leave those two to counter. Howe has asked for far more from Willock to hold down a place and he's turning him into a box to box player. Result is less goals, but a far more complete player.

I think Joe is starting to realise that Howe is going to do far more for his career than Bruce ever would have. It's really inspiring stuff tbh.

Section from this article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/25/revealed-three-secrets-newcastles-remarkable-renaissance/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1645775660-1

'Frank' discussions with Willock

For five months, Willock looked like a player who had made a mistake signing for Newcastle. He was low on confidence, as well as confused about what was expected from him, first under Steve Bruce and then Howe.

His return to form has been a welcome surprise, the former Newcastle captain, Alan Shearer, correctly describing the team’s goalscorer as the “best player on the pitch” during the 1-1 draw against West Ham.

Sources have told Telegraph Sport that no player has occupied more of Howe's time than Willock. The 22-year-old has been indulged, encouraged and comforted, but he has also been shown some “really tough love” too. 

Howe liked the player, his ability and athleticism, but did not like what he saw in training or games. There have been some frank conversations about the standards expected and the work that needs to be done. In short, as one well placed figure put it, “Joe needed to grow up, he needed to work harder and he needed to focus more.”

But there are other reasons for the rejuvenation. Willock is simply more settled in the North East; happier in his new surroundings and content with the decision to leave his native London.

Telegraph Sport can reveal for the first time just how difficult things were for the former Arsenal midfielder, who was effectively forced out of his boyhood club by Mikel Arteta. He moved hundreds of miles away from his family and friends, living on his own in a rural, isolated location in Northumberland - a decision made when he was advised to avoid the distractions of Newcastle’s famous nightlife. 

Willock has suffered from severe homesickness, silently at first, possibly because he was worried how it would be perceived, until coaching staff realised what was wrong and spoke to him about the upheaval in his personal life. 

When things had gone well on the pitch, Willock had been able to hide his emotional discomfort at leaving London for the first time, but having made the move permanent when he belatedly accepted he was not going to play first team football for Arsenal if he stayed, the shock to the system crippled him. His form immediately suffered and fans slowly turned against him, mistakenly leaping to the conclusion his loan form had given a false impression of his ability while others took his poor body language and unhappiness as a sign he did not really want to play for the club.

There may have been some early misgivings, but Willock is far more settled and his happiness off the pitch, as well as Howe’s decision to challenge and, initially criticise him, has had the desired effect. Willock is finally justifying Bruce’s decision to spend all of the club’s summer transfer budget on him. He looks like a £20million plus player again. Arsenal may still regret their decision to let him leave.

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

So the body language experts were correct. He did always look sad, depressed and uninterested a lot of the time earlier in the season. 

He has been one of our top performers for 4 games straight now. Long may it continue. 

22 year old London lad moving hundreds of miles away for the first time, it's no wonder tbh. He's always had the ability. Thank God for Howe.

Do also find him living in the countryside in Northumberland on advice to stay away from the nightlife quite funny though. :lol: Advised to stay away from Aveika, Livello and 3 trebles for 6 quid.

4 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

'Bruce's decision' [emoji38]

Great to see connection between players and coaches again - finally. This is clearly a united, steady, ship with a concerted effort to understand how individual players tick. It's brilliant to see.

Certainly better than having the Steve's ref a few five a side games and plan the Saturday pre-game meet up.

I know he does now have some of his family living with him, his mum I believe being one of them, some of my family members have the contract to clean clean his property along with a few other players which he’s renting from Tim Krul I believe. 

Not sure about the wisdom of moving to the countryside for a young lad from London, must be a massive culture shock. Hopefully he's not feeling too isolated, a nice detached around Ponteland distance would be ideal.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not sure about the wisdom of moving to the countryside for a young lad from London, must be a massive culture shock. Hopefully he's not feeling too isolated, a nice detached around Ponteland distance would be ideal.

I think he was staying with one of the players when he was on loan last season and by all accounts he’s a good lad, hopefully he will settle and prove that fee we paid for him to be peanuts in the end.

16 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think he was staying with one of the players when he was on loan last season and by all accounts he’s a good lad, hopefully he will settle and prove that fee we paid for him to be peanuts in the end.

Can you say where he is living without invading his privacy? There is rural and rural when it comes to living in Northumberland.

One thing I’ve noticed with him is he has a bad habit of passing at or behind someone instead of in front of them so they can continue their forward movement. Surprising with coming from Arsenal academy.