Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

From the Birmingham Mail, October 3, 2018

An eye-witness to the infamous cabbage attack at Villa Park has revealed an irate Aston Villa fan branded Steve Bruce a ‘disgrace’ as he launched the vegetable at the beleaguered boss. Prior to Tuesday night’s dramatic 3-3 draw with Preston at Villa Park in which Glenn Whelan missed a stoppage time penalty, an angry supporter threw a cabbage at manager Bruce. BirminghamLive photographer Tim Harley-Easthope was stood within metres of Bruce on the Villa Park touchline and was able to give the following account of a truly bizarre moment. He told us: “I was standing by the dugout on the walkround at the side of the pitch. I was standing there waiting to take pictures of Steve Bruce and Alex Neil walking up to us. I was about two yards short of the dugout. This bloke started ranting and raving. I was taking pictures of Bruce and then I felt this object brush past me. It landed on the floor just in front of me. This bloke was irate and was hurling abuse at Bruce. He said something along the lines of, ‘You’re a f***ing disgrace’, after he’d thrown the cabbage. Bruce and [Stephen] Clemence saw it and they both stood and glared at this bloke and shook their heads. The bloke ran up the steps and into the concourse.”  The cabbage in question was a ‘big one’ according to our snapper and could have done some serious damage had it hit its target. Harley-Easthope added: “It was really heavy. When it hit the floor you felt the thud. Had it hit him on the head, or me on the head, it would have done some damage. It was as heavy as a house brick - it was a big one!” Bruce hit out at the supporter after the game and labelled the attack as ‘hugely disrespectful’.

46 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Bruce hit out at the supporter after the game and labelled the attack as ‘hugely disrespectful’.

I'd label the attack as many things, but to complain about not being shown "respect" is just laughable. You earn respect, you don't demand it. The paying public are not your subordinates, you're not some better class of human that everyone else must kowtow to.

Anyone has a right to not respect anyone else, and especially if it's based on you serving up years worth of shit football that they're paying to watch, failing to competently do the job that they indirectly employ you to do. He absolutely should not be throwing cabbages at you (as amusing as it is), but he's got every right on Earth to not respect you, you fucking gimp.

Edited by Chris_R

50 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

From the Birmingham Mail, October 3, 2018

An eye-witness to the infamous cabbage attack at Villa Park has revealed an irate Aston Villa fan branded Steve Bruce a ‘disgrace’ as he launched the vegetable at the beleaguered boss. Prior to Tuesday night’s dramatic 3-3 draw with Preston at Villa Park in which Glenn Whelan missed a stoppage time penalty, an angry supporter threw a cabbage at manager Bruce. BirminghamLive photographer Tim Harley-Easthope was stood within metres of Bruce on the Villa Park touchline and was able to give the following account of a truly bizarre moment. He told us: “I was standing by the dugout on the walkround at the side of the pitch. I was standing there waiting to take pictures of Steve Bruce and Alex Neil walking up to us. I was about two yards short of the dugout. This bloke started ranting and raving. I was taking pictures of Bruce and then I felt this object brush past me. It landed on the floor just in front of me. This bloke was irate and was hurling abuse at Bruce. He said something along the lines of, ‘You’re a f***ing disgrace’, after he’d thrown the cabbage. Bruce and [Stephen] Clemence saw it and they both stood and glared at this bloke and shook their heads. The bloke ran up the steps and into the concourse.”  The cabbage in question was a ‘big one’ according to our snapper and could have done some serious damage had it hit its target. Harley-Easthope added: “It was really heavy. When it hit the floor you felt the thud. Had it hit him on the head, or me on the head, it would have done some damage. It was as heavy as a house brick - it was a big one!” Bruce hit out at the supporter after the game and labelled the attack as ‘hugely disrespectful’.

Not a very good photographer if he has do describe the moment in such detail.

Why the fuck are their armies of fans from other clubs quoting Bruce v Rafa stats (always omitting Rafa getting us promoted...)  - simultaneously complaining we were exceptionally horrible to Bruce and too nice to Rafa. What is going on man. I've never seen anything like it. 

4 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Why the fuck are their armies of fans from other clubs quoting Bruce v Rafa stats (always omitting Rafa getting us promoted...)  - simultaneously complaining we were exceptionally horrible to Bruce and too nice to Rafa. What is going on man. I've never seen anything like it. 

People that look to the media for opinion. Convenience thoughts.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

What's being missed is that if Rafa Benitez had turned up here and carried on the way Bruce did showing hostility from day one, rocking up on Talksport to take the piss out of the fans and arguing with journalists, he'd have been told to fuck off as well.

It's almost like people will look at how you are acting towards them and react in kind.

53 minute Roy asks why some managers get 8 or 9 chances in management and Gary talks about the fact that Keane doesn't play "the game", with the media. Watch it.

Sound familiar boys? 

48 minutes ago, STM said:

53 minute Roy asks why some managers get 8 or 9 chances in management and Gary talks about the fact that Keane doesn't play "the game", with the media. Watch it.

Sound familiar boys? 

Yeah I caught that bit too. Bit shady the way Neville talked and obvious also that Keane was talking about the likes of Bruce. 

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

True Geordie absolutely nailing it there, like. I mean, it's a very easy argument, but I'm glad that someone with a bit of reach has taken the time to spell it out.

It's a very easy argument if you bother to do any research into the facts, which sadly most pundits and journalists don't. They should all be made to watch that video from start to finish before they think about spouting any more of their error-riddled shite

Anyone asked why Bruce was 12th choice and why we’d been knocked back by 11 others? Why did Bruce abandon Sheff W and accept a job where the sole requirement was to finish 17th when others wouldn’t. How come he gets rewarded with an eternal 3 year rolling contract for towing the line and killing fans hopes? His mates advised him to not take the job as they knew the constraints, Bruce simply took the money fully aware that at some point he’d get grief and receive a huge pay off. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

@Heronare you the one part of wor Flags? 

Fancy a banner aimed at the appalling media coverage of Bruce? Just a thought.

Great job by the way.

Cheers. There's discussions about the next two home fixtures and this is one suggestion that's been mentioned in the group WhatsApp, but there are a number of suggestions at any given time, so not sure what we'll arrive at. Hopefully upcoming displays strike the same tone/are as liked as previous displays. :thup:

Edited by Heron

7 minutes ago, Heron said:

Cheers. There's discussions about the next two home fixtures and this is one suggestion that's been mentioned in the group WhatsApp, but there are a number of suggestions at any given time, so not sure what we'll arrive at. Hopefully upcoming displays strike the same tone/are as liked as previous displays. :thup:

Wor Flags is the pride of NUFC at the moment. Keep it up boys. Inspiring/influential messages go a long way to telling our story.

2 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

What's being missed is that if Rafa Benitez had turned up here and carried on the way Bruce did showing hostility from day one, rocking up on Talksport to take the piss out of the fans and arguing with journalists, he'd have been told to fuck off as well.

It's almost like people will look at how you are acting towards them and react in kind.

What's even more laughable is if Rafa showed up pulling that shit, the media would've been jizzing themselves silly to pile in on him with us.

Remember how much mileage they got out of his 'facts' rant back in the day? Imagine Bruce coming out with that stuff; it'd probably be part of some Sky motivational advert package every fucking weekend. 

35 minutes ago, wormy said:

What's even more laughable is if Rafa showed up pulling that shit, the media would've been jizzing themselves silly to pile in on him with us.

Remember how much mileage they got out of his 'facts' rant back in the day? Imagine Bruce coming out with that stuff; it'd probably be part of some Sky motivational advert package every fucking weekend. 

mediocrity attracts mediocrity doesn’t it. Easy to see why a lot in the football industry would be intimidated/wary of Rafa due to how dedicated/analytical he is, particularly lazy journalists/pundits.

53 minutes ago, Heron said:

You are doing fantastic work - I'd rather you go for one of the other ideas - Bruce is in the past and we should be looking forward to a bright new future. He's not worth a seconds time now (he never was anyway tbh)

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Anyone asked why Bruce was 12th choice and why we’d been knocked back by 11 others? Why did Bruce abandon Sheff W and accept a job where the sole requirement was to finish 17th when others wouldn’t. How come he gets rewarded with an eternal 3 year rolling contract for towing the line and killing fans hopes? His mates advised him to not take the job as they knew the constraints, Bruce simply took the money fully aware that at some point he’d get grief and receive a huge pay off. 

Bruce wasn't even 12th on the list.  He contacted the club after they'd asked a load of potential managers all of whom had knocked them back.

He asked for the job.