Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, wormy said:

I understand wanting to have someone lined up but this isn't just the fans having lost patience over the past 2 years. This is extreme circumstances now.

It really isn't, though... 

I think the problem is, and I agree with it, I don’t think there’s any confidence that Graeme Jones would do any better of a job. Let’s be honest, apart from that slight upturn in form earlier this year, his tactics (which we have been playing) have been woeful.

The owners quite clearly want a complete break. A fresh start. And it’s taking time to find the right man/team for that. We’re just going to have to have patience and trust in them making a good choice on that front.

I personally think the result would be no different if Jones was in charge on Sunday, so sacking Bruce without a replacement would make zero difference in my opinion. Best just to have a complete break.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I don’t think there’s any confidence that Graeme Jones would do any better of a job.

He certainly couldn’t do any worse and Bruce going would give the whole club a lift especially the players 

Just now, Yorkie said:

It really isn't, though... 

Yorkie, no. :lol: I'm normally comforted by the fact I agree with practically everything you ever say.

Agree to disagree though, I guess. There's a shit ton of time in the season, yes. But it's clearly toxic as fuck. There's no benefit to keeping him around purely because they haven't found their new man that outweighs the negatives of that toxicity imo.

Looking at this objectively - there is CP and Chelsea game before another international break.     The owners may have thought Chelsea game not a chance of 3 points and so only CP game as potential point gainer.   They may have made the decision that they are targeting get a DOF and new manager in, in the next 2 weeks so that they have the whole international break to bed in.  Just a thought ( I know not a popular thought).

Just now, gdm said:

He certainly couldn’t do any worse and Bruce going would give the whole club a lift especially the players 

He couldn’t do any worse, sure, but I don’t understand how putting him in charge would give the players a lift. He’s been there for months and they’ve been shit.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

He couldn’t do any worse, sure, but I don’t understand how putting him in charge would give the players a lift. He’s been there for months and they’ve been shit.

My memory's too shit to prove it but I imagine the same could've been said about Roeder stepping in for Souness all those years ago.. I think it's just about lifting the cloud of Bruce right now over the ability of the person lifting that cloud.

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

My memory's too shit to prove it but I imagine the same could've been said about Roeder stepping in for Souness all those years ago.. I think it's just about lifting the cloud of Bruce right now over the ability of the person lifting that cloud.

Roeder wasn’t involved with our first team day to day. He was youth development before he stepped up. So it was a fresh face.

6 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Coz by most accounts they can’t stand Bruce it’s not putting Jones in charge that gives them a lift it’s Bruce not being there to stink the place out that does 

Struggle to think of many other clubs that have been in this situation in recent years. It's clear he's loathed by players and is glaringly incompetent, yet remains in post like a turd that won't fucking flush.

36 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Yeah but if the Steves leave, them that leaves Smith and Jones as senior squad coaches. Smith is of course, the GK coach which would mean Jones is managing the remaining 22.

With coaching staff at reserve and junior levels thin on the ground and mostly not very good......who exactly do we bring in?

Could we not hold onto the other Steve for the time being? Unless it's his alter ego.

35 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Who would honestly want to come? The club now seems to be viewed as toxic, and it's becoming evident the Premier League and other clubs want to make life very difficult. The high risk of relegation won't help either.

It's a big challenge, but that's exactly why it'll be appealing to potential candidates.

12 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

They clearly don’t perceive the Bruce we see or are concerned about the optics in the pundit and ex pro community.

If they've spoken to Shearer about the managerial situation then it's likely he's defended Bruce, which definitely wouldn't have helped

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

If they've spoken to Shearer about the managerial situation then it's likely he's defended Bruce, which definitely wouldn't have helped

Caulkin as well, although I'd like to think he simply said give him his 1000th game then give him his pay off at worst.

42 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Who would honestly want to come? The club now seems to be viewed as toxic, and it's becoming evident the Premier League and other clubs want to make life very difficult. The high risk of relegation won't help either.

Who would want to come to the richest club in the world? I have a feeling there would be some interest, especially if they saw the hair raising welcome the new owners got on Sunday. 

I want him gone as much as anyone, but it's important not to carried away.

We're not in trouble yet, the worry is that if they give him too many games we will be. They might want a replacement in first, but how long is this going to take? Do they want to recruit for other key roles first?

The worry is the uncertainty, with that in mind I think its important not to get carried away with what the press are/aren't saying. They've shown over the last week they're using educated guess work to keep the material coming.

While I disagree with the decision not to remove Bruce immediately, I think its important to remember the consortium aren't from a football background. That's exactly why they want an experienced CEO and sporting director. The decision making process will become a lot smoother once they're in place, so while I feel they've got this particular decision wrong I won't be drawing any conclusions about how the club will be ran going forward.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We're not in trouble yet

I thought this too until Carragher actually highlighted how kind the fixture list has been (I've barely paid attention until the takeover went through) + the fact we still have to play Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea twice. That's 6 games with probably 0 points - so that will be 14 games with 3 points. It leaves 24 games to get probably 37 points. Not impossible but it's extremely worrying now.

Can't see us getting anything from Palace either FWIW. We need points fast. 

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If they're asking Shearer or Caulkin for that kind of advice they're already making a mistake. TBF to them they don't have any football people in place yet. 

Yet Rangnick is apparently making himself available.