Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle United - 21/02/2021 - post match p21

Disco

That's a stonewall pen from Maguire. I didn't see it at the time. Ours was a pen too. Soft, but the rules are the rules these days. Any contact at all and it's given.

The game was definitely there for the taking. We were missing three of our best players/performers (Pogba, McTominay and Cavani), and the difference in attack was staggering. We are playing with ten men when Martial is on the pitch.

Almiron has pace for days and could have tortured Maguire if given the chance but instead always seemed to be up against our fastest players.

We didn't get into first gear in the end. Quite lucky to get away with a win.

Re the Jenas / Humphries debate, there are two issues that I think are being confused. Should Bruce being achieving more with the squad that he's got, or is it the club's fault for not providing him with a good enough squad.

What does Jenas have against the club btw? This isn't the first time he has talked you down. Did it end badly for him at Newcastle?

He went rapidly downhill after a very bright start with us.  It seemed like he began to believe his own hype and went from being and all-action-box-to-box midfieler, to a midfielder that just trots around playing sideways and backward passes.  He also took a shit Panenka in a pre season shoot out which had Sir Bobby furious as we were taking the tournament seriously.

Then Souness came in and the players around him started underperforming aswell, highlighting how average/poor he had become.  Souness then hung him out to dry by making some stupid comment that Jenas didn’t like playing for Newcastle cos it was “like living in a goldfish bowl”.  He was sold to Spurs not long after and the goldfish bowl comments seemed to stick. I remember we beat Spurs 3-1 at St James during which Jenas managed to miss an open goal in front of the Gallowgate and the whole stadium was singing “THREE-ONE...  TO THE GOLDFISH BOWL”  :lol:  Pretty embarrassing day for him, he looked wounded.  :lol:

He always got stick off us but as far as i can remember it was never nasty or hateful.

Re the Jenas / Humphries debate, there are two issues that I think are being confused. Should Bruce being achieving more with the squad that he's got, or is it the club's fault for not providing him with a good enough squad.

:lol:

You should go into professional comedy character writing.

They never even mentioned that Lascelles/Maguire thing on MOTD, either.

I'm still shocked they pulled Spurs and Mourinho apart for their recent form and run of results, and them only being 9th in the table, and his comments about he "can't coach the players any better".

Yet we are in freefall, with Fulham right behind us now, and they just kept talking about us playing well yesterday, depite losing and not once is Bruce called into question in the same way Jose is.

What does Jenas have against the club btw? This isn't the first time he has talked you down. Did it end badly for him at Newcastle?

He's still bitter about that open goal he missed at SJP.

What a beautiful moment that was :lol:

There's a cracking photo of it, seconds after he missed.

Guest neesy111

He's still bitter about that open goal he missed at SJP.

That was brilliant.

He went through a long run of bad form and couldn't cope with the crowd pressure. Didn't like fans engaging with him when out and about, so went to London where he could easily hide, then had an absolutely disastrous game against us where he was mercilessly ribbed for the entire match cumilating in him missing an open goal and being laughed at....theres a brilliant picture of it floating around somewhere

I don’t believe it would have changed the game for a second but I’m not sure how VAR didn’t spot this. Every viewing it looks worse.

If you’re giving pens for the Willock challenge then surely that’s got to be given too?

Red card and penalty of course it would have made a massive difference.

Man U getting biased decisions as far back as i can remember..i find it very difficult to enjoy the league anymore

That's a stonewall pen from Maguire. I didn't see it at the time. Ours was a pen too. Soft, but the rules are the rules these days. Any contact at all and it's given.

The game was definitely there for the taking. We were missing three of our best players/performers (Pogba, McTominay and Cavani), and the difference in attack was staggering. We are playing with ten men when Martial is on the pitch.

Almiron has pace for days and could have tortured Maguire if given the chance but instead always seemed to be up against our fastest players.

Fair summary. Maguire and Lindelof were shocking first half, the pair of them are so unrefined. Not sure what the view is of Bailly but I reckon he's far better than the pair of them from what I've seen. Not sure why he's sat on the bench with two oafs in the middle of the defence.

Whoah when did I miss this change in the rules "any contact and its given" ? Those arent the rules.

Everyone is highlighting how are the goals going to come about without Wilson. Valid point, but, even more of a problem is the number of goals we’re conceding. This team looks like it’s going to concede every time the opposition attacks. We have players missing, but, this has been the case all season no matter who is playing. Having to score 2 or 3 goals nearly every game to get a result is a massive problem.

Whoah when did I miss this change in the rules "any contact and its given" ? Those arent the rules.

Aye, utter shite as per usual from Froggy.

Should have been a booking for diving on Rashford, not a fucking penalty.

Oh god Shearers on motd,lets hear the shit he talks for hes mate

He will continue to blame the players for some time, yet. He will only call out Bruce when either we are down, or he's been sacked.

Was a bit jarring to come across pictures of Shearer at Alex Bruce's wedding and realise that they're all mates.

Yup shearer can do one

He went through a long run of bad form and couldn't cope with the crowd pressure. Didn't like fans engaging with him when out and about, so went to London where he could easily hide, then had an absolutely disastrous game against us where he was mercilessly ribbed for the entire match cumilating in him missing an open goal and being laughed at....theres a brilliant picture of it floating around somewhere

I was just a couple of rows off being on that picture, and it is indeed a beauty.  Can't find it though :(  Was April Fool's Day, as I recall :lol:

I don't remember there actually being any contact from Willock anyways but we only got 1 replay of it and none of the media seem to have shown it again either so well and truly brushed under the carpet.

We're total shit and might have lost anyways but clearly should of had a penalty and red card given against them and we should have had their penalty over turned.

Scary to think even with VAR, team bias is still alive and well in this league.

Everyone is highlighting how are the goals going to come about without Wilson. Valid point, but, even more of a problem is the number of goals we’re conceding. This team looks like it’s going to concede every time the opposition attacks. We have players missing, but, this has been the case all season no matter who is playing. Having to score 2 or 3 goals nearly every game to get a result is a massive problem.

Plus we managed something like 1 goal in 8 games when Wilson was fit before Everton, I think?..... 

This new formation and high press may yield slightly better attacking stats.  But fuck me, we're so open at the back and our current full backs are bad enough as it is.  Giving them no support out wide, along with a non-existent centre midfield.  Like you say, we look like we're going to concede whenever the other team attack.

Guest neesy111

I was just a couple of rows off being on that picture, and it is indeed a beauty.  Can't find it though :(  Was April Fool's Day, as I recall [emoji38]

3a11b8a247a63d151450b001d8f8162e.jpg