Glenn Roeder (1955 - 2021)

Guest neesy111

My dad told me a story years ago he was handing out trophy's at a presentation night and a massive working mens club, I think it was High Pit, and he was standing with the club steward, some cocky Makem came over with an autograph book and as Glen put his hand out to sign the book the Makem pulled it away and said "not you I want the club stewards signature" quick as a flash Glen said "its OK this steward is on so much fiddle money he pays me to sign all his autographs for him" everyone fell about laughing. Great bloke and he took his roll as captain of Newcastle very serious and was always out and about at different events.

Just seen this news.  Gutted.  Was in the squad when I started supporting Newcastle and came full circle to bring me one of my most enjoyable periods supporting the club after her replaced sourface.  100% gentleman and done his upmost for NUFC. 

Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Schär esque.

As I remember it :thup: :coolsmiley:

I also remember going to a talk-in his did at the Falcons Rugby ground that he did, when he was manager back in 2005/ 06 - part of something called Grassroots? I also got to ask him a question - I think we were on the verge of signing Damien Duff at the time. Could you imagine Cabbageheed or Pardew going to a pub/social club to chat to supporters?

Another one the Geordies hated because he was from London...

Being a bit too young to have seen him as a player, I remember him with the fondness I do Chris Hughton. An all round gentleman who came in at a difficult time and gave the club a lift. The 4-1 away to the mackems was probably his finest hour. You may remember Kevin Ball jumping round like a knobhead right in front of our dugout when they scored. Glenn celebrated his four in his typical reserved dignified way.

RIP Glenn

its all been said already.

classy centre half and great captain.

great stint as caretaker.

and just such a dignified man.

the west ham fans treatment of him really upset and enraged me at the time.

honourary geordie.

ps. pearson's words made me cry.

I always think of Kruls  debut and that game when I think of Roeder. Class night, for me its always been important that our manager is a decent person. There haven't been man recently but he always.