Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

I had Southampton and Stoke joining West Brom and it didn't go down to the last game.

We finished 12th, I included defeats against Spurs, Watford, Chelsea and a draw against Arsenal.

We are going to be alright lads.

Southampton and West Ham look on a downward spiral.

Stoke also seem to be going nowhere. West Brom? Pfft.

Swansea seem OK. Huddersfield will fight to stay up and just do it.

Palace might also just manage to survive as they have been slowly clawing back the points.

Above all that we will be absolutely fine, even if we end up getting pulled back in a bit.

Shame about those last ten mins against Bournemouth if we had won that I think the takeover talks could have resumed.

This site has us on 5% now. I guess this also reflects the odds that the bookies are giving.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

It seems a bit low to me, considering my natural pessimism. However, looking at this it is apparent that our run in is one of the easier ones of the bottom 12 teams, with only Bournemouth and Palace having statistically easier final games:

http://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england&tid=10

Taking this into account, our form, the 5 point buffer and the goal difference advantage puts us in a position of strength that is reflected by the long odds of relegation. It would likely take a catastrophic collapse in form and a bottling of the 'gimme' home fixtures in order for us to be go down. So it's unlikely, but knowing what happened to us mid-season means it is still an outside possibility.

It's because people make the link that the more teams involved at the bottom and/or the better the teams are means that you'll need a higher points total to stay up, which isn't necessarily the case.  There are only so many points to go around and so many teams involved that at least a few of them will f*** up and only pick a few points up between now and the end of the season.

FWIW, apparently historically a correlation which stands out is that when the champions achieve a higher points total there tends to be a lower total required to stay up. Man City look good for a record points return, so if this association holds-up, we’ll be looking at around 35/36 points to be safe. Wouldn’t want to chance it mind!

Still a bit crazy to me to think where we'd be with a bit of luck in the injury department (Lascelles earlier in season) and a few bounces/decisions going our way (Bournemouth home) and closing out a few of those late 85-ish minute games.

Yeah exactly, makes you realise once again how well a Rafa NUFC could do with a decent amount of backing. Jesus, £30m on a striker last summer and those games we dominated but only got draws may well mostly have been wins and us in the top-8.

We would have to lose 7 out of the last 8 games to go down. Since 1995-96 season only Wimbledon in 1999-00 season have been more than four points clear of the bottom three after 30 rounds and went down, but they were 16th after 30 games and got only 1 point in the last 8 games of the season. Teams from 14th place or higher after 30 rounds have never went down.

I've checked the Premier League tables after 30 rounds (tables including results of postponed games, so every team had 30 games, like it is right now).

So these are relegated teams, their place after 30 games and how many points clear they were of bottom three, if applicable.

2016-17: 18. Hull, 19. Middlesbrough, 20. Sunderland

2015-16: 18. Norwich, 19. Newcastle, 20. Aston Villa

2014-15: 15. Hull (+3), 18. Burnley, 19. QPR

2013-14: 17. Norwich (+1), 19. Cardiff, 20. Fulham

2012-13: 18. Wigan, 19. Reading, 20. QPR

2011-12: 16. Bolton (+4), 17. Blackburn (+3), 20. Wolves

2010-11: 15. Blackpool (+1), 17. West Ham (GD), 19. Birmingham

2009-10: 18. Burnley, 19. Hull, 20. Portsmouth

2008-09: 18. Newcastle, 19. Middlesbrough, 20. West Brom

2007-08: 15. Reading (+3), 16. Birmingham (+2), 20. Derby

2006-07: 17. Sheff Utd (+4), 18. Charlton, 20. Watford

2005-06: 17. Birmingham (GD), 18. West Brom, 20. Sunderland

2004-05: 17. Southampton (+1), 18. Crystal Palace, 20. Norwich

2003-04: 18. Leicester, 19. Leeds, 20. Wolves

2002-03: 18. West Ham, 19. West Brom, 20. Sunderland

2001-02: 17. Ipswich (+1), 19. Derby, 20. Leicester

2000-01: 18. Man City, 19. Coventry, 20. Bradford

1999-00: 16. Wimbledon (+6), 19. Sheff Wed, 20. Watford

1998-99: 17. Blackburn (+1), 19. Charlton, 20. Nottm Forest

1997-98: 18. Barnsley, 19. Bolton, 20. Crystal Palace

1996-97: 16. Nottm Forest (+2), 16. Sunderland (+2), 19. Middlesbrough

1995-96: 17. Man City (+2), 19. QPR, 20. Bolton

And this is a comparison, how many points team in 18th place had after 30 games and 38 games.

18place.png

Still a bit crazy to me to think where we'd be with a bit of luck in the injury department (Lascelles earlier in season) and a few bounces/decisions going our way (Bournemouth home) and closing out a few of those late 85-ish minute games.

3okCwfh.png

Those games, the trip to Anfield aside, we could've gotten something from had we taken chances, and I'll include the 2 games against Man City in that. The Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth games especially. We'd be well clear of the shit had we had a decent striker on the pitch for those.

3okCwfh.png

Those games, the trip to Anfield aside, we could've gotten something from had we taken chances, and I'll include the 2 games against Man City in that. The Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth games especially. We'd be well clear of the shit had we had a decent striker on the pitch for those.

The results against Burnley, Swansea and Brighton at home annoy the shit out of me. We’d be on 40pts and done. Incredible we fucked up all 3 results and yet look like living to tell the tale, tbh, back then I thought it was a certainty we’d be going.

Be quite nice if all 3 promoted clubs stay up. Would show just how competitive last season in the championship was and that we did alright securing the title.

If only we'd had Steve McClaren