Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

This from Liam Kennedy is the crux of it for me. I mean they were prepared to allow the whole of PIF board to be subjected to o & d test. This would have included Al Qasabi who is media minister. What I fail to understand is why they wanted govt to be named directors, was this just an excuse to then fail it due to piracy links, or did they know this was not feasible, and therefore the deal breaker.

‘The deal hit a legal stalemate around three weeks ago with the Premier League wanting the KSA state to be named as the majority owners of Newcastle United, instead of PIF. This was because the Premier League legal team found it difficult to unpick the links between PIF and the Saudi state.

And while the Saudis declined the prospect of a state purchase, they did offer for PIF itself, the actual organisation, to be subjected to owners and directors test scrutiny, not just named directors such as Yasir Al-Rumayyan’.

Yeah, I mean look - that is a MASSIVE concession. Still not good enough for the PL?

There is some law which is (in theory) designed to help this sort of situation. Would be interested to know if NUST have considered the judicial review process. It is normally designed to to cover unfair decisions made by government bodies, but it can in certain circumstances be used to challenge decisions made by public bodies. For anyone who knows real estate, it can be a genuine threat.

I don't know how good the legal team NUST have involved is, but I would wonder if they have considered that?

This from Liam Kennedy is the crux of it for me. I mean they were prepared to allow the whole of PIF board to be subjected to o & d test. This would have included Al Qasabi who is media minister. What I fail to understand is why they wanted govt to be named directors, was this just an excuse to then fail it due to piracy links, or did they know this was not feasible, and therefore the deal breaker.

‘The deal hit a legal stalemate around three weeks ago with the Premier League wanting the KSA state to be named as the majority owners of Newcastle United, instead of PIF. This was because the Premier League legal team found it difficult to unpick the links between PIF and the Saudi state.

And while the Saudis declined the prospect of a state purchase, they did offer for PIF itself, the actual organisation, to be subjected to owners and directors test scrutiny, not just named directors such as Yasir Al-Rumayyan’.

Yeah, I mean look - that is a MASSIVE concession. Still not good enough for the PL?

Obviously not corrupt and fucking spineless.

Really impressed with Chi's letter.  Especially like the bit where she says something along the lines of "I know you're probably just gonna tell me to get lost" but inserts the line about need for "greater regulation of the PL".

Yes she was a bit softy til today but the gloves is off today.

Only applies to public institutions, or private ones carrying out public duties i thought? Premier League is not a public sector institution

Correct.

The only avenue for appeal would, I imagine be CAS. Problem is, you can't launch an appeal if they don't make a decision.

*insert Eddie Murphy gif here*

I've given up on the idea this can be salvaged but I do at least want the PL to suffer through some kind of investigation at least.

Don't think the PL give a flying fuck, all the talk of being scared of getting sued seems to have been wishful thinking.

Only Ashley could have really taken them to the cleaners, and it seems he's happy enough to pocket £17m instead.

The only thing I'm certain of now is Ashley does want to sell.

Might be a bit daft but I really do think he wants out.

Which ironically is now terrible for the club :lol:

You though investment was minimal before.

The only thing I'm certain of now is Ashley does want to sell.

Might be a bit daft but I really do think he wants out.

Which ironically is now terrible for the club :lol:

You though investment was minimal before.

:lol: that's very true if we don't get sold soon.

OK, I've lost the last few days and have no idea what's been written on the 1,795,264 pages of this thread since the announcement that Stavely & co have made about withdrawing the offer.

It could well be that what I'm about to type has been said a thousand times, so if it has then I apologise, but here goes...

Could it be that Stavely, Saudis et all had got so pissed off with PL prevarications, inane irrelevant questions that went on and on and on that they just said 'fuck them, let's withdraw the offer, stop all talk about future funding and TV bidding. Let them stew in their own juice and sit and think, in the cold light of the day, that they've been arseholes and will maybe regret this massively in the days and weeks to come'.

'We'll sit back, let them stew and when the shit has settled, come back with another bid but on our terms with the crap that the PL have been dishing out on us'.

The Saudi's and Amanda are very far from stupid and it's the sort of tactic I've used a few times in my corporate career. It's worked almost every single time.

...or am I just Strawing at the clutches?