Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

If they did the deal anyway couldn't the PL expell us from the league?

Yes.

They could but it would open up a whole can of worms which would cause a storm across the football world. I think if the PL were put with their backs to the wall in such a fashion they would quickly find a way to thrash out a deal. NUFC might not be much of a big player any more, but still big enough for the PL not to want to lose them, or see such a spectacle on display for the whole world to see.

If the premier league fails us, SA buys us anyway and they back down and let us in they will be even more of a laughing stock and every other club would be up in arms. The structure of the league, may be wrong is essentially the clubs in the league are essentially counted as joint owners of the league, am I right? It would be totally ludicrous and they'd prefer the stink of kicking us out to the stink of every club in the league being outraged at us being given 'special treatment'. It is not a realistic suggestion in my opinion.

I honestly think it's a dead parrot. Most likely avenue of hope would be league saying they'd have a look at it again in a future timeframe, and even then who knows if they don't just do the same thing again then? There are precious few straws left to clutch tbh. :(

I don’t think the Premier League would win a case in court if they bought us in anyway and tried to kick us out.

I also don’t think they would win the PR war if they did it either.

If they kicked us out then all of a sudden they will have a 19 teams league. They wouldn’t be able to replace us with Brentford or Bournemouth either because there would be a pending legal battle where there is a big chance that we could be re-instated. Also the EFL wouldn’t exactly be happy about being robbed of a member club either.

In addition to that all the broadcasters (BeIN aside) wouldn’t be too happy about having less games, especially at a time when they would argue that the product they have been sold is already diminished by not having crowds. The domestic broadcasters would argue that the games they had chosen to broadcast were diluted in appeal because of the requirement to broadcast all the remaining games.

In reality this would be a groundbreaking case as the Premier League would effectively be asking for their organisation to be exempt from freedom of trade rules, and that in itself would raise the question about the Premier League being a fair and equal organisation.

Mind, there’s intense pressure and blame at the feet of the PL tonight. Apparently the buyers met on Tuesday to talk about releasing a statement to put pressure on the pl, but Drastically decided to call the whole thing off, and lose £17m. Or, this is the pressure but turned up to 11. We’ve had talk of other clubs interfering, pl moving goalposts, asking for KSA to be named as directors rather than pif...at the very least it sets up for an epic court case in which the pl will lose, though I think what may come out of this is lots of phone calls between parties including our government asking wtf are the pl playing at. Wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley is in on it to. Keeps the £17m and fresh terms are agreed.

Either way A shitshow has just been unleashed and it’s all firmly at the door of the PL, but I don’t think it’s over, certainly not for the pl anyway.

After sleeping on it, this will still happen. It’s just the ultimate pressure applied on the pl to do something. All eyes on the pl, think they are about to get burned.

Fucking Hell man  :lol: I love your optimism but you are like King Canute 

After all that's been said in the last 12 hours or so, financially unviable, walking away, victory for the oppressed it would be a bigger shitstorm if the PL now approve.  They  will look like they've been played and had their hands forced (or cut off) by the Saudi bullies 

It can't happen now imo

The Consortium have blown the lid off this and fans are about to fight back. Maybe not on here, but other avenues. They’ll fight for it, they’ll fight the PL and I think a few of the journos will get behind them now it’s close season as what else is there to do, but most importantly the government will have their say at some point and masters will find out he’s not appreciated and not the all powerful person he thinks he is.

If the pl are yet to have a formal withdrawal, and the consortium and Ashley are still willing to do the deal, then this is just pressure play, but they’ve gone all in from the off to inflict maximum impact. Pl aren’t going to be allowed to just walk away from this.

In the end, It'll happen. A lot will have happened behind the scenes this last week (see Rockers pst) and the pressure from the fans has been incredible. Without them there wouldn't have been a chance, but Staveley rallied the troops and the fuckers turned up to fight in their 10s of thousands. She'll be elbowing PIF saying told you this was the horse to back.

If they did the deal anyway couldn't the PL expell us from the league?

Yes.

They could but it would open up a whole can of worms which would cause a storm across the football world. I think if the PL were put with their backs to the wall in such a fashion they would quickly find a way to thrash out a deal. NUFC might not be much of a big player any more, but still big enough for the PL not to want to lose them, or see such a spectacle on display for the whole world to see.

Massively rose tinted glasses there. How many of the last ten seasons have we spent outside of the Prem again and it went on like nothing had happened? They don't care about any club dropping out other than the "top 6" everyone else is a sideshow including us.

The PL can't "kick us out", they can only suspend us from playing matches until the disqualified director/s leave the club.

They don't need to take us to court to do that but they would need to actually make a decision disqualifying the director/s, which could be appealed.

If the deal was dead, Caulkin would come out and say it is - it’s clearly not.

True.

I'm an optimist but I wouldn't rely on Caulkin as we saw he isn't as informed as some think he is. He was tweeting all that cans nonsense at the outset and then as it dragged on then went silent with the odd "it takes as long as it takes".

True.

I'm an optimist but I wouldn't rely on Caulkin as we saw he isn't as informed as some think he is. He was tweeting all that cans nonsense at the outset and then as it dragged on then went silent with the odd "it takes as long as it takes".

He only knows what Staveley tells him

Didn't one of the Sky Sports guys reply to a tweet yesterday saying they are going to do a bit on this later today or this week?

Aye Downie said yesterday they'll be covering the petition in the next 48 hours but he's currently on a few days leave.

Like noone else can report it  :hmm:

He's back from a couple days off and said they'd be covering it today. Nothing as yet though 😔

They're doing something tomorrow morning, on the quayside apparently, interviewing supporters.

Guest Cheesy Beans

True.

Sort of fits in exactly with the buyer’s outlook on the deal.

Told initially that it would go through, no red flags etc. and then as time went on frustrations built.

He’s not unreliable, he’s fed a direct line from the buyers. Therefore if the deal was dead, he’d know about it and would say it. They’re clearly considering their next steps based on his last tweet.

Caulkin mentions it on that podcast out today and doesn’t sound so sure tbh.

“My feeling is one of tiredness and this is where we’ll be (with Ashley) for the foreseeable future”

“I think I have to assume we’re going to be stuck in this position”

We can't do diddly until the PL state their decision.

I'm encouraged to see the fanbase coming together to at least demand some clarity on where things stand.

Only the PL know the answers atm.

And Penn of course, still waiting on him enlightening me.

Sort of fits in exactly with the buyer’s outlook on the deal.

Told initially that it would go through, no red flags etc. and then as time went on frustrations built.

He’s not unreliable, he’s fed a direct line from the buyers. Therefore if the deal was dead, he’d know about it and would say it. They’re clearly considering their next steps based on his last tweet.

:thup:

Guest Cheesy Beans

Caulkin who said it was likely to be approved in a few days back in May?  :lol:

When this takeover goes through, are you going to need a crane to pick your bottom lip off the floor? :lol:

I'm encouraged to see the fanbase coming together to at least demand some clarity on where things stand.

PL are going to ignore this until they have no choice

The buyers could be harder with them though. They could say: we've provided all the information we need to, you have five days to issue a decision, we will be taking control of the club then, if you issue a disqualification after that date we will see you in court for the full purchase price of the club.