Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Is there a reason the people that don’t think it’s happening have to constantly repeat that it’s not gonna happen? it’s almost like they are trying to convince themselves :lol:

Is there a reason the people that don’t think it’s happening have to constantly repeat that it’s not gonna happen? it’s almost like they are trying to convince themselves :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Aye as if it's the 'negative' side that assessment applies to

It’s almost like PIF published a statement saying they’d withdrawn their interest in acquiring Newcastle United Football Club.

Are the people who keep coming in here to post “it’s over” hoping to be able to say I told you so? There’s a huge mix of positive and negative stories at the minute, why you’d choose to believe one side or the other at this stage is beyond me. Just let it play out.

Sounds like PIF want cast iron guarantees before returning though.

That is an important statement, makes all the difference.

BUT, have they actually said that? We only have a newspaper report that says that, that has then got 'repeated as fact'.

Do we know if PIF have actually said that?

Anyone turning up at his house is deranged

Agreed. Any public sympathy is going to disappear the second the media get a shot of some moron shouting abuse at Masters and his family.

What public sympathy? The vast majority of football fans will be on the PL's side if only out of self interest.

Agreed, I think most fans of other clubs are missing the distinction between wanting answers from the PL, and wanting the takeover to go through no matter what.

The petition is for an explanation and answers.

I think the vast majority of us want the takeover to go through no matter what, and I couldn’t give a flying fuck if someone launches a firework at Masters while he’s sat on the bog.

Which I guess explains the lack of sympathy from the public or other clubs fans.

:lol: :lol:

Aye as if it's the 'negative' side that assessment applies to

Fair. The repetitiveness from both sides is tiresome

Guest Cheesy Beans

Chris Waugh answered the question today in his Athletic Q&A about whether or not the O&D test has been withdrawn from by PIF.

Well, I say he answered it - he completely skirted around it and just stressed that PIF say their withdrawal from the bid was authentic (and no real mention of the O&D test).

It just seems incredibly unlikely to me that nobody will have found out that the very important paperwork to withdraw from the process has been submitted. Not a single journalist has received confirmation from either the buyer, seller or PL about this incredibly key information, but have been able to obtain such specific detail about other less relevant things...

Yet everyone is able to confirm there is communication ongoing. Why would they still be talking if it’s been withdrawn officially? The PL would have no role whatsoever in any conversation if that was the case.

Absolute nothing article that.

Well I was curious about this line.

"The Premier League has already offered independent arbitration, rejected by the bidders, who say their ownership structure - with the PIF an independent investment vehicle as set out in its charter - and business plan were clear.

"

Have not seen any mention of that before, and why reject a potential arbitration that might actually agree with them?

As far as I can tell the Crown Prince WhateverHisNameIs appointed the director of PIF to run the investment vehicle and doesn't interfere with it. By what right does the PL have to say "We don't believe you".

If you go back to that interview with the PIF director, it was posted, he describes how he was appointed and what his remit was for the PIF. He seems to be doing a brilliant job. NUFC would be a tiny slice of PIF's investment portfolio, why the fuck would the Crown Prince be interfering at all.

The arbitration quote also caught my eye.  We have them ( The EPL) bang to rights!

"Have them bang to rights" based on what exactly? Staveley saying it isn't fair is not any legal basis. Unless I've missed something?

Sounds like PIF want cast iron guarantees before returning though.

That is an important statement, makes all the difference.

BUT, have they actually said that? We only have a newspaper report that says that, that has then got 'repeated as fact'.

Do we know if PIF have actually said that?

I started the sentence with sounds like, I can edit it to say according to the telegraph if it helps you sleep more easier.

However, my educated guess is yes they would want some guarantee before returning, I doubt there very happy at present about the negative publicity this has caused them.

Do I think it’s dead though, no I don’t and wouldn’t be surprised if out the blue it was announced.

What’s the next step from PIF, Staveley, etc then? They asked the fans to act, they’ve done so in a way I doubt they’d never have expected. Has to be in their court now.

At this point that boils down to who is more likely to take legal action Ashley or Bein.

I've seen this mentioned a few times in here, and

I'm a bit confused by it. This is a genuine question, not trying to be a knob or anything but what legal grounds would Bein have to sue the Premier League?

I mean obviously they're going to be pissed off as rightly or wrongly they blame Saudi for pirating their rights. And clearly they're going to be very shitty with the PL and possibly threaten to bid less money next time the rights are up for grabs or maybe even withold agreed payments for next season.

But if the bid passed the O&D test as published and the takeover was approved, is there any legal basis for Bein to try to take action vs the PL?

Anyone turning up at his house is deranged

Agreed. Any public sympathy is going to disappear the second the media get a shot of some moron shouting abuse at Masters and his family.

What public sympathy? The vast majority of football fans will be on the PL's side if only out of self interest.

Agreed, I think most fans of other clubs are missing the distinction between wanting answers from the PL, and wanting the takeover to go through no matter what.

The petition is for an explanation and answers.

I think the vast majority of us want the takeover to go through no matter what, and I couldn’t give a flying f*** if someone launches a firework at Masters while he’s sat on the bog.

Which I guess explains the lack of sympathy from the public or other clubs fans.

I think your misjudging the reason why other teams fans have no sympathy with us regarding this. If West Ham or Everton we’re in our position now I’d have no sympathy, it’s called self interest and the tribal nature of football fans.

I would also guess the majority of us are not after sympathy we just want the deal completed, and I’d quite happily accept then becoming the most hated club in football.

Chris Waugh answered the question today in his Athletic Q&A about whether or not the O&D test has been withdrawn from by PIF.

Well, I say he answered it - he completely skirted around it and just stressed that PIF say their withdrawal from the bid was authentic (and no real mention of the O&D test).

It just seems incredibly unlikely to me that nobody will have found out that the very important paperwork to withdraw from the process has been submitted. Not a single journalist has received confirmation from either the buyer, seller or PL about this incredibly key information, but have been able to obtain such specific detail about other less relevant things...

Yet everyone is able to confirm there is communication ongoing. Why would they still be talking if it’s been withdrawn officially? The PL would have no role whatsoever in any conversation if that was the case.

It's weird isn't it- it's probably the most important question to be answered at the minute and no-one can get or give a straight answer.

Question is whether it's their responsibility to inform the PL. I have every reason to suspect that would be Ashley's job. He [as the one with the existing relationship and contractual agreements] informs the PL of the sale and provides details of the proposed new owners, for the PL to check.

Unless anybody can confirm this to be incorrect.

Guest Cheesy Beans

It's weird isn't it- it's probably the most important question to be answered at the minute and no-one can get or give a straight answer.

I believe people are being quiet for a reason - Caulkin has kept his cards close to his chest, nearly all the media are focussing on the backlash rather than anything else. It’d dampen the fan pressure if we found out officially the test was still ongoing, people would be less angry and the hostility would be reduced.

I suspect the test is ongoing, PIF have cranked up the pressure (as MA is now) and the test will be passed soon.

I wouldn’t take much notice of the Guardian article much.

They will just be throwing stuff at the wall hoping it sticks. They know theirs more in this story, and as those before them, it’s easy for them to make up news and their events about what’s happening. They know the Premier League aren’t coming out to say anything, and the consortium haven’t came out to dismiss outlandish claims in the past.

Easy story to add ‘details’ too, and easy click bait.

What’s the next step from PIF, Staveley, etc then? They asked the fans to act, they’ve done so in a way I doubt they’d never have expected. Has to be in their court now.

At this point that boils down to who is more likely to take legal action Ashley or Bein.

I've seen this mentioned a few times in here, and

I'm a bit confused by it. This is a genuine question, not trying to be a knob or anything but what legal grounds would Bein have to sue the Premier League?

I mean obviously they're going to be p*ssed off as rightly or wrongly they blame Saudi for pirating their rights. And clearly they're going to be very shitty with the PL and possibly threaten to bid less money next time the rights are up for grabs or maybe even withold agreed payments for next season.

But if the bid passed the O&D test as published and the takeover was approved, is there any legal basis for Bein to try to take action vs the PL?

I’m no legal expert but seems common consensus that Bein have legal teams ready. The telegraph and Liam Kennedy has mentioned this tonight, I can only assume they’ll come after the Premier League as the rights holder for their loss of earnings.

Apparently Serie A has reimbursed a large sum to bein sports, after the Italian FA agreed to hold a cup game in Saudi Arabia.

I guess they’d see it as the PL becoming complicit with the piracy by allowing the Saudis into the league, I’m unsure myself how that argument would stack up legally.

Maybe the PL aren't saying anything because the test is currently ongoing? The buyer and seller agreed to break the NDA in order to ramp up pressure but the PL can't do that?

Still, they could still send out a "can't comment on an ongoing process" like they've done before I guess.

Does "we've withdrawn the bid" potentially mean they've withdrawn their bid of £300m but have agreed to whatever new price Fat Cunt wanted? Surely they'd have to withdraw their bid of £300m if the exclusivity period lapsed and Ashley asked for a higher price, so they'd submit a new bid, leave the O&D test running and publically announce that they've withdrawn the bid in a way they've deliberately worded to stoke the flames and apply pressure to the PL? I don't know, I'm p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ definitely wrong.