UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

Verratti was terrible against Spain and Barella was absolutely shagged. I think midfield is the only place where Italy are superior to England. If their midfield isn't up to it it's game over.

Have this strange feeling the final is going to be comfortable for you boys. :lol: That Italy backline will struggle badly against the attacking talent England have.

Edited by Froggy

Just hope we don’t get overwhelmed by the situation. Can’t possibly predict it, they’ll be very dangerous down the wings. Just got to play the best we can and probably get some luck to win given the enormity of the occasion. As it gets closer I’m going to get less and less confident

14 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Verratti was terrible against Spain and Barella was absolutely shagged. I think midfield is the only place where Italy are superior to England. If their midfield isn't up to it it's game over.

Have this strange feeling the final is going to be comfortable for you boys. :lol: That Italy backline will struggle badly against the attacking talent England have.

Yea, but Spain is lot better than England. Their pressing caused a lot of problems for Italy first half. Belgium didn't even try to press. Nice to see what England tries. Italy will be pressing like hell and that may leave space behind for Sancho/Sterling/Saka. If England can get out of the press. Not very sure about that though. 

Would have loved Spinazzola v Walker on that wing.

Edited by AY

Just now, Froggy said:

Strongly disagree with this. Nothing special about Spain at all.

Tbh they would have done Italy by 2-3 goals with a decent striker. Went too defensive at the extra time. 

England have had a big home advantage and easier side of the bracket. Played well, but very cautious.

Guest HTT II

We have nothing to fear against Italy, as good as they have been. That said, now is the exact time Southgate needs to start with the right team, formation and set up. Denmark bypassed Rice and Phillips easily for the first hour or so and we need that leadership and drive of Henderson in there and Foden’s cunning and movement. I’d start Grealish too and let him have the freedom of the pitch, I don’t think Italy have one player who could do a job on him. It’s gonna be hell on Sunday, I’m nervous just thinking about it. But what an occasion and opportunity. 

Honestly, think we might take a beating. I just can't get away with Phillips and Rice together and think it'll be a big weak point against a side who really are a step up from anyone we've played so far (not diminishing our run, we've played some good teams). Got a feeling the defence will be exposed a fair bit. 

It'll be an interesting tactical battle; I think we're better suited to a counter style but we've aimed to control the ball a lot so far. I wonder if Southgate will be happy for us to cede some ground. 

I'd put Henderson in for Rice and Foden in for Mount. 

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Honestly, think we might take a beating. I just can't get away with Phillips and Rice together and think it'll be a big weak point against a side who really are a step up from anyone we've played so far (not diminishing our run, we've played some good teams). Got a feeling the defence will be exposed a fair bit. 

It'll be an interesting tactical battle; I think we're better suited to a counter style but we've aimed to control the ball a lot so far. I wonder if Southgate will be happy for us to cede some ground. 

I'd put Henderson in for Rice and Foden in for Mount. 

Aye those two are nothing players for me, Henderson and Foden give us a much more dynamic pairing in there. 

Italy will control the ball, and it will suit you guys. Lots of pace on the counter and easier get Bonucci ja Chiellini 1v1 against Sterling or Saka.

45 minutes ago, AY said:

Tbh they would have done Italy by 2-3 goals with a decent striker. Went too defensive at the extra time. 

England have had a big home advantage and easier side of the bracket. Played well, but very cautious.

If spain had better players they'd be better? Thanks for this insight. 

Work have for the first time ever decided not to be complete cunts and put everyone on furlough on Saturday night so we’re not tired on the Sunday 

:hello2::indi::celb1:

Edited by Rafalove

The conditioning of this England team is superb. Southgate's slightly conservative approach (which I have decried on here a bit against lesser opposition) might be just the ticket vs Italy, if they can do enough to still be in the game at 60 or 70 minutes.

Spain obviously have a completely different footballing ethos to England, but they showed you can definitely exhaust the Italians and soften their attacking prowess. The battle between Mancini and Southgate may be more important than any individual match on the pitch!

45 minutes ago, AY said:

Italy will control the ball, and it will suit you guys. Lots of pace on the counter and easier get Bonucci ja Chiellini 1v1 against Sterling or Saka.

They couldn’t keep the ball for toffee against Spain.

England can't do what Spain did in monopolising the ball though. Italy basically made a conscious decision, before the match and emboldened by the early stages, to basically give up on the midfield battle and play entirely on the break. 

It's easy to say Spain 'could have won easily with a proper striker' but if they did it would have been a totally different game. If they had an an outright number 9, or more direct wide players (rather than ball-comfortable attacking midfielders), then they'd have had far less control of the ball and the game. It's almost like nobody has watched Spain play at all for the last 15 years. Keeping the ball from the opposition is basically how they defend and cover any weaknesses in the back line. However it has obvious trade-offs in the forward areas. Both because it means the selected personnel in the team are not naturally ruthless in front of goal, but also because it means needing to play through banked opposition. 

This game will be much more cut and thrust. 

1 hour ago, Joey Linton said:

If spain had better players they'd be better? Thanks for this insight. 

No, I meant they created enough chances but to wrong players. Olmo or Morata are not very lethal. Should have still won it.

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

England can't do what Spain did in monopolising the ball though. Italy basically made a conscious decision, before the match and emboldened by the early stages, to basically give up on the midfield battle and play entirely on the break. 

It's easy to say Spain 'could have won easily with a proper striker' but if they did it would have been a totally different game. If they had an an outright number 9, or more direct wide players (rather than ball-comfortable attacking midfielders), then they'd have had far less control of the ball and the game. It's almost like nobody has watched Spain play at all for the last 15 years. Keeping the ball from the opposition is basically how they defend and cover any weaknesses in the back line. However it has obvious trade-offs in the forward areas. Both because it means the selected personnel in the team are not naturally ruthless in front of goal, but also because it means needing to play through banked opposition. 

This is true, just pointed out that their gameplan with false 9 worked fine against Italy (esp 1st half), just that they didn't manage to score from those opportunities. 
But it seems that many here haven't watched Italy. They play very attacking and had to defend because Spain pressed very well and kept the ball well. Italy will press your backline hard and Pickford will kick it long every single (at least most) time. Resulting to Italy having possession. And Italy pressing will suit you because of that slow back 4 they have. Kane dropping deep and wide forwards running behind.
Rice, Phillips and Mount is not good enough to control possession, but you don't have to.

25 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Good post. I have no doubt Italy will return to a high press, its down to Southgate to figure out how England can play through that and get the ball to the wide men.

I think Kane could be key. He looks to drop off and create space. The Italian centre backs looked really uncomfortable breaking ranks against Spain.

That said if England give as much of the ball as they did to the Danish midfield in the first half they'll be punished. Italy will similarly look to isolate the English full full backs against Insigne and Chiesa.

While Immobile has been poor in front of goal, his movement has been excellent and he'll look to create the required space for Barella to run in behind. We simply can't allow them to play through the lines as easily as Denmark did at times.

Really intriguing match up and the best two teams in the tournament by a distance. Can't wait.

Edited by The Prophet

Henderson has to start, he's our best passer and balls over the top and in behind will be key for us, even if it pushes them back slightly. Just hope Southgate doesn't fall into the trap of being 'loyal'. He has to manage the game in front of him.

11 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Henderson has to start, he's our best passer and balls over the top and in behind will be key for us, even if it pushes them back slightly. Just hope Southgate doesn't fall into the trap of being 'loyal'. He has to manage the game in front of him.

I don't think there's any danger of him doing that but I don't think he'll drop Rice and Phillips; they're clearly who he thinks are his best CM combo. Not that I would be averse to a change, I don't think either of them were particularly brilliant last night.