UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

12 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I was pretty confident about this before the Denmark game, but I thought there were some really worrying things that we got away with last night. For a start Pickford obviously hasn't got the temperament for big games, the Italians will be all over him. The difference between the keepers could be the decider, because Donnarumma is fantastic. Secondly I thought Rice and Phillips were poor, they repeatedly failed to pick up Denmark's runners and I was thinking that if it was the likes of Chiesa finding that space we're fucked. I would definitely start Henderson in front of Rice. And thirdly Southgate's game management was absolutely shocking, I thought he had frozen and was bottling making any changes. For a long time we were looking at a Denmark side that were dead on their feet but he refused to make changes, and in the end got bailed out by a dodgy penalty.

I agree that Pickford might not have the mental strength for it.

Portuguese commentators were all over him yesterday. One of them was saying that it was actually impacting England's game when wanting to build from the back, as he would always shoot it with no criteria.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It's a weird one for me, I'm looking forward to it, but its muted.

I still love watching football, this tournament has been a joy, but I've never had the same emotional attachment to England as I did to NUFC. I obviously want both to do well, but I can't say it'll bother me if they don't.

I think Ashley, the corruption, and the vulgar amounts of cash on display have contributed to a gradual emotional detachment from anything connected to football.

I say that now, knowing full well I could be a bag of nerves on Sunday. I hope so anyway :lol:

I can agree with feeling more and more detached from football. I used to follow Benfica everywhere and I stopped doing it as I got tired of the violence and everything "extra football" going by. The President of my club is under arrest because of political and financial (personal only, I hope) scandals, which further adds to my detachment feelings.

The narrative of "not caring for the national team because it represents everything that's bad with our football" or "the national association favors club X which I don't like so fuck them" goes on everywhere. I think most fans care more about their club than their national team.

Having this said, the opportunity of seeing your country in the final of a major tournament is something that happens once or twice in a lifetime.

The feeling when the ref blew the final whistle against France is hard to describe. I think I fell on the floor in disbelief for like 5 minutes and all of those moments of being a kid and crying because we fell at the EURO semis in 2000, or the final in 2004, or the semis in the World Cup 2006 flashed through my memory. Truly one of the happiest moments of my life. Portugal might never win anything again - I am grateful I experienced that once.

Every hardcore football fan should experience that at least once in their lives.

Edited by jotenko

21 minutes ago, Disco said:

I think that's a bit OTT but the constant space Damsgaard and Braithwaite (who I've been really impressed with) found playing as inside fowards is potentially a yuge issue as Chiesa/Insigne/Beradi are more than capable of doing the same to better effect. However the striker dropping deep is less likely to happen.

Brathwaite? Really? He has been really poor. Runs a lot but makes a LOT of poor decisions, wayward passes. He broke up so many Denmarks counter attacks in this tournament it wasn't even funny anymore. I think he played every game because he can run 120 minutes. Damsgaard was good tho :thup:

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It's a weird one for me, I'm looking forward to it, but its muted.

I still love watching football, this tournament has been a joy, but I've never had the same emotional attachment to England as I did to NUFC. I obviously want both to do well, but I can't say it'll bother me if they don't.

I think Ashley, the corruption, and the vulgar amounts of cash on display have contributed to a gradual emotional detachment from anything connected to football.

I say that now, knowing full well I could be a bag of nerves on Sunday. I hope so anyway :lol:

I agree, i only get into England if they go deep into a tournament.

I wasn't even that invested in the Ukraine game, maybe because it was so easy.

I'm nowhere near as bothered about England as Newcastle, but i would still rather England won than lost!

Yeah I'll be delighted if England won on Sunday, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Newcastle. Even after everything Ashley has done and how much more I prefer international tournaments in general to club football.

I genuinely don't know what I'd do with myself if Newcastle won a cup final. 

Guest HTT II
32 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Donnarumma

Who gave the ball away constantly against Spain and looked all at sea at times?

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah I'll be delighted if England won on Sunday, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Newcastle. Even after everything Ashley has done and how much more I prefer international tournaments in general to club football.

Cowies, strip club, heart attack. 

12 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

You mean an European Cup?

Or you'd prefer Newcastle to win a FA Cup versus England winning an EURO or WC?

I don't really see the purpose of this comparison between nufc and England. It's not mutually exclusive. It's like, something good might happen, I must say something negative about it. 

Just shut your row and gan radge when England win it all. Imo. 

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, jotenko said:

You mean an European Cup?

Or you'd prefer Newcastle to win a FA Cup versus England winning an EURO or WC?

I'd prefer any major trophy tbh.

I was 11 when Newcastle were at Wembley in 1999. I remember very little about it.

This is basically my first final as a football supporter.

And it's not some little plucky cup run where we are bound to get turned over. England are the favourites.

Newcastle next please.

1 hour ago, samptime29 said:

Like I said last night. A true 50/50 game. They have a better midfield, and strong centre backs. We have more squad depth and playing at Wembley. Going to be a really intruging game.

If you'd asked me last week I'd have said no way England are winning this one. But for all Italy's fabulous football this tournament, they still lack a proper striker, and I think losing Spinazzola has taken some edge off their attacking play. We are solid, and we have goals in the team. Very much 50/50. Although if I was asked to put money on it I'd still probably end up going for Italy. Just the thought of actually winning a major tournament seems slightly unreal. 

35 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I really have not a single clue as to why he's ITV's main man now. Is there really that much anti-Tyldesley out there among the population? 

I still fucking hate Tyldesley. He genuinely ruins games for me with his relentless scripted smugness. He actually made me laugh with one of his comments about Immobile the other day then he ruined it within minutes and I went back to hate watching him. Put him on a game where some talented players are playing and his self satisfied arse kissing is absolutely unbearable. 

Matterface seems crap as well but he's got some way to go to rile me up as much as Tyldesley has been for well over 20 years. He did annoy me last night with how determined he seemed to jinx us with everything he said. "As it stands England are going to play Italy on Sunday" or similar, minutes after scoring. Fuck off. 

I will 100% be watching the BBC on Sunday. 

Don't mind Tyldesley really, had to laugh when he got all excited about an attack on goal and it was actually a reply of the same one moments before [emoji38]

Definitely watching it on BBC though. 

Matterface constantly makes pronouncements, that’s what pisses me off the most, not his lack of a basic understanding of what’s going on, on the pitch. It’s when he says stuff like (not his own words): “The beast is awake now and England fear it, but also know how to tame it” or “England’s eyes are wide open to the threat, they’re not sleeping lions anymore”. These fucking weird pronouncements where he speaks for individual players or the team in overblown cliches infuriates me 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Who will it be on BBC? Mowbray?

Bet it's fucking Jenas on with home though. :anguish:

Hopefully I'll be too pissed to care like.

It’ll be Mowbray, he gets the big gigs