The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

21 hours ago, Hovagod said:

I notice that in their pompous list of demands about a new shareholder, the Manchester United trust has failed to mention human rights or Yemen. 

That statement is horrendously entitled. Surely Man Utd spending its own income on infrastructure and players would do the trick - not financing the leveraged buy-out?  ‘New owner should be chucking money at the club’.  Bunch of twats. 

Its sums up perfectly why so many hate them, and why their current mediocrity is mana from heaven

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Just now, Rafalove said:

What is pompous about it?

“Any prospective new owner or investor has to be committed to the culture, ethos and best traditions of the club. They have to be willing to invest to restore United to former glories, and that investment must be real new money spent on the playing side and the stadium.”

Every word of that would be my starter for ten.  A functioning Man Utd brings in £700m+ per season.  They don’t need outside capital. 

Hadn’t  seen it before, so was a genuine question. You could argue that. Don’t think there’s too much wrong with that. It’s true Manchester United don’t need outside capital but I would imagine, it’s something most fans of most clubs would be interested in. Including our own.

There is nothing wrong with wanting new owners of your football club to “be committed to the culture, ethos and best traditions of the club. I only wish we had diene something similar when Ashley was here

4 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Hadn’t  seen it before, so was a genuine question. You could argue that. Don’t think there’s too much wrong with that. It’s true Manchester United don’t need outside capital but I would imagine, it’s something most fans of most clubs would be interested in. Including our own.

There is nothing wrong with wanting new owners of your football club to “be committed to the culture, ethos and best traditions of the club. I only wish we had diene something similar when Ashley was here

Culture, Ethos and Traditions of Man Utd ? Sense of entitlement seems to cover all 3.

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

It’s not self entitlement at all they want what is best for their club.

I think that’s fair, but there is only so long the ‘we are Manchester United’ expectation/entitlement-filled narrative is going to ring true. You’re only as good as your last season.

Their 58 points last year is their worst haul in 30 years in the Premier League. Though they did once finish 7th— in 2013-14, albeit with more points.

Just now, Hovagod said:

It’s ‘DNA’  shite. Their proud history of, what? Being bankrolled? That’s basically what they’re asking for. 

And then frantically trying to pull the ladder up.

Just now, Ben said:

Aye fair point, but it's not like they have covered every spare wall like Ashley did.

Don't think they will either tbh. Despise the third kit personally and what it's obvious intentions are but don't think they'll go beyond that. Abu Dhabi/UAE haven't with Man City other than through sponsorships. Think it'll be the same for us in that regard.

I'm not sure what Sportswashing is then, I thought it was Qatar buying the world cup and PSG with huge self promotion. The Saudis that own us seem very meek and do a lot under the radar.

6 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm not sure what Sportswashing is then, I thought it was Qatar buying the world cup and PSG with huge self promotion. The Saudis that own us seem very meek and do a lot under the radar.

It's when you get fans of said clubs defending those regimes which unfortunately has happened with us but in a minority.

That's not to say some sanctimonious twats haven't tried to appear holier than thou and claim that fans should walk away from their clubs (or just gone after the fans and everyday people working for the club) and they would if it was their club. Nonsense, it's much more complicated than that. 

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's when you get fans of said clubs defending those regimes which unfortunately has happened with us but in a minority.

That's not to say some sanctimonious twats haven't tried to appear holier than thou and claim that fans should walk away from their clubs (or just gone after the fans and everyday people working for the club) and they would if it was their club. Nonsense, it's much more complicated than that. 

There’s obviously a vast mid-ground between defending the KSA’s regime (‘apologist’) and walking away (or ‘sanctimonious twat) positions. 

2 hours ago, Jack27 said:

‘Take, for example, the popular Sunderland online message board that set up a forum on 24 June titled: NUFC/Sportswashing – Summer 2022. Since its creation, it has been filled with around 10,000 posts – in less than two months. That’s around 156 posts per day.’

Now there’s proper journalism for you - cite the number of comments on RTG … no further comment needed 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

There’s obviously a vast mid-ground between defending the KSA’s regime (‘apologist’) and walking away (or ‘sanctimonious twat) positions. 

I was referring to journalists mainly for the sanctimonious twats rather than fans.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

‘Take, for example, the popular Sunderland online message board that set up a forum on 24 June titled: NUFC/Sportswashing – Summer 2022. Since its creation, it has been filled with around 10,000 posts – in less than two months. That’s around 156 posts per day.’

Now there’s proper journalism for you - cite the number of comments on RTG … no further comment needed 

I'd argue it's the same 6 posts 26 times a day tbh :lol:

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Half the comments are akin to someone rolling their face across their keyboard then clicking submit.

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Not denying that’s happened mate or that it’s really annoying and embarrassing, but I think when journalists and the like talk about countries trying to “sportswash their brutal regimes” and the like it I imagine it goes further than creating a very small minority of apologists. 

I feel they are always going to be restricted in how far they can change widely held opinions, but these events can definitely generate tourism, further business links etc. The positive impacts are economic mainly and therefore I don’t see ‘sportswashing’ as necessarily a bad thing.