Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

On 27/02/2022 at 23:53, The Bonk said:

He’s class, wor Eddie. :aww:

I'm debating whether to start calling him Edward. Eddie sounds too unsophisticated for such a tactical master. He really needs a more impressive name like Eduardo van De Howe.

12 hours ago, The Bonk said:

It's been sooooo long since we've had nice things. :lol: I need to shake off the feeling we don't deserve it. 

Don't worry, global thermonuclear war is just around the corner to put us back in our place again.

This must've appeared somewhere in this thread before, but worth resurfacing if so.

A 2018 Tifo video on him, and it's surprisingly prescient. Including the sort of players he looks for when buying, his coaching and match preparation philosophy, as well as the ominous proposition that he could be England manager one day. His preference for looking at as-yet-unheralded youngsters was a bit hit-and-miss at Bournemouth, but is much more likely to reap dividends with more money and a much more professional scouting network. I dream of the day we become the Dortmund of the Premier League.

Hard to believe what he has achieved in less that 4 months.  Looking at us now, its hard to believe just how incredibly bad we were before he came in. Sure, it took a few weeks, but the tireless work he has put in has really paid off, and the transformation has been astonishing.  To top it off, he is a very likeable person who has clearly got the whole club right behind him.  It's fantastic to see and witness. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Would've loved Southgate but he's perfect where he is; doing a brilliant job in his position as the best England manager in my lifetime. 

Robson for me

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Would've loved Southgate but he's perfect where he is; doing a brilliant job in his position as the best England manager in my lifetime. 

Allardyce- 100% win record…. 

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's not really worth posting or commenting on. Howe is not going anywhere.

I much as I agree with this, one of the things we need to be doing if we’re to become the well-run, well-functioning club we all hope, is to always have a list of potential managerial replacements lined up.

You never know when something can go tits up professionally or personally with any manager, so you’ve always got be ahead of the game in being ready with your replacement.

We were a million miles away from this approach under Ashley, but I’m confident with Ashworth coming in, we’ll be on it.

You only have to look at Man United since Ferguson to see how much damage a cack-handed approach to this does.

I hope Howe is at the helm for some years to come but if not, I'd rather we steer clear of Southgate.

His England stint feels like a perfect storm and I envisage him being another Chris Coleman if he moves back to club management.

Southgate is a shite manager who's done a good job because he's a nice bloke and an FA bootlicker who doesn't rock the boat.

Wor Eddie is not only a nice bloke, but an astute tactician with a far more ambitious footballing philosophy than Southgate would be capable of.

Edited by toon25

1 hour ago, SteV said:

I much as I agree with this, one of the things we need to be doing if we’re to become the well-run, well-functioning club we all hope, is to always have a list of potential managerial replacements lined up.

You never know when something can go tits up professionally or personally with any manager, so you’ve always got be ahead of the game in being ready with your replacement.

We were a million miles away from this approach under Ashley, but I’m confident with Ashworth coming in, we’ll be on it.

You only have to look at Man United since Ferguson to see how much damage a cack-handed approach to this does.

Dan Ashworth needs a list, we don’t.

I'd be devastated if we swapped Howe for Southgate.

Seems a decent bloke, but he's not a tactician or a coach, he's just a manager. That works at international level where you get the players for a few days every now and again, you pick the XI, gee them up and they have to slot into what system you want to play, but it doesn't work at club level as we've seen with Southgate already.

He'll fail if and when he ever goes into club management again.

Southgates main achievements in my view are to do with the culture and representing us well as a country, and in an international role this is certainly a positive. 

In footballing terms I think he's only been ok. And ok is certainly an improvement on what we've been used to. We went deep in the euros and world cup but a bit like pardew finished 5th, Bruce 13th, it doesn't quite tell the full story. We had incredibly good draws - look over the fixtures and it feels to me like we did what we'd be expected to do. 

Basically he hasn't exceeded expectations or overachieved in footballing terms. I agree we should have contingencies in case something happens with Howe but Southgates name should be nowhere near that.