Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Darlow had a pretty bad time at the start of last season IN A BRUCE TEAM but if you look at his stats across his other stints in goal for us then he stacks up favourably against Dubravka.  On their day, much of a muchness.  We've moved on from both being near our number 1 spot.

I personally don't understand this clamour for pragmatism against certain sides, I much prefer us giving it a go and trying to get something from the game, could easily have won today but I also accept it could have been a thumping if things didn't go right but a bit odd to worry about that unless it's a regular occurrence during matches, which so far it isn't 

Our situation has changed, under Rafa I totally understood the approach he took, it made sense and avoiding a hammering was important because GD towards the bottom is far more critical and also getting hammered when your only aim is to just stay up can be demoralising

The good thing is we aren't that team anymore, it's not just about staying up, it's about trying to be the best we can be and compete as much as possible so pragmatism isn't something to clamour for imo

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Darlow had a pretty bad time at the start of last season IN A BRUCE TEAM but if you look at his stats across his other stints in goal for us then he stacks up favourably against Dubravka.  On their day, much of a muchness.  We've moved on from both being near our number 1 spot.

Once Dubs came back into our side, be it under Rafa, Bruce and Eddie, the difference was there for anyone to see. You need help if you think Darlow is as good, he's simply nowhere near as good as Dubs.

It's a moot point really mind, as Pope is proving to be a cracking singing, and is a level above most GK's

I'm happy to drag it out.  Quick search and dug that out from one of Darlow's stints.  He's had great spells in goal for us at the same level as Dubravka.  People just don't like to remember and are clouded by his poor efforts last season.  Dubravka far better than him last year, but overall they're similar when on their games.

4 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Once Dubs came back into our side, be it under Rafa, Bruce and Eddie, the difference was there for anyone to see. You need help if you think Darlow is as good, he's simply nowhere near as good as Dubs.

It's a moot point really mind, as Pope is proving to be a cracking singing, and is a level above most GK's

You guys think he may be in goal this fall in the World Cup? Does anyone know how Southgate rates him? I'd start him over T-Rex I think.

edit: David Edgar was already on it.

Edited by McDog

The way Pep speaks about Howe and Newcatsle is the reason I hate Klopp, I hope that makes sense to everyone. 

Although Klopp did go up a few points in my estimation after having a pop at Agbonlahor. 

Either way my point is that I'm pleased we have Howe who I think is now going to be getting far more credit than he has done rather than people just immediately throwing in the fact we've spent a few millions since he came in.

3 minutes ago, McDog said:

You guys think he may be in goal this fall in the World Cup? Does anyone know how Southgate rates him? I'd start him over T-Rex I think.

edit: David Edgar was already on it.

That tweet is two years old. I'm certain Pope, and Henderson, are pushing Pickford now.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

The way Pep speaks about Howe and Newcatsle is the reason I hate Klopp, I hope that makes sense to everyone. 

Although Klopp did go up a few points in my estimation after having a pop at Agbonlahor. 

Either way my point is that I'm pleased we have Howe who I think is now going to be getting far more credit than he has done rather than people just immediately throwing in the fact we've spent a few millions since he came in.

I'm a bit of a Pep fanboy so not really objective on this but I've always said Pep is usually very gracious in defeat/draws, can be a bit odd in his interviews but he praises the opposition

He was very complimentary towards us when we beat them under Rafa, even though our tactics were very pragmatic, this time we were more expansive and he gave us credit too

Klopp came to the league and he was a breath of fresh air but as time has gone on he's become an absolute bore, deals very badly with defeats/draws, has digs at teams that don't just roll over for his side, can't stand him now even if I do recognise what a brilliant manager/coach he is

Just now, Happinesstan said:

That tweet is two years old. I'm certain Pope, and Henderson, are pushing Pickford now.

Both are superior except for with their feet.  But Southgate has this club England thing where he picks players he's used together a lot.  Might be too late for him to swap.  He should, Pope or Henderson would do better than Pickford.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm so happy this bloke is our manager. We've just gone toe to toe with arguably the best team in the world. It was a brave game plan and on another day we'd have come away with all three points.

Agree, but I'm not dwelling on the fact that we could have had three points. We always lacked the depth to maintain our intensity, and Man City always have it in them to destroy a team in 15 mins.

Despite our tremendous performance, I still think most days we do well to get the drawer. We deserved to win, of course, and better officials might have enabled that.

We'd have all taken a point, and most likely imagined it would be scrappy 1-1. But to play the way we did for as long as we did is a testament to this man and his team. I'm still frustrated we didn't win, which is ridiculous but just shows how far we've come. 

Best thing about today's performance and result was the fact that Howe was definitely more bullish about the game in the pre-match pressers. He talked about going out and treating them as equals, matching up to them and using them as a meter to judge where we are and how far we've come (paraphrasing obviously). He talked us up and said we'd have a go AND THEN FOLLOWED IT UP with that performance today. That's huge. It's all well and good being diplomatic before the game and being respectful but he made no changes to the team at all. Same players, same formation, fuck it, let's have a go and the team responded. 

He's a breath of fresh air, doesn't talk us down, doesn't show too much respect, doesn't come across as a meek little fucker before the game and is brave enough to have a go on the day too. Not just that but he's got enough nous to adapt it in-game too. We are absolutely pointing in the right direction under Howe, he's got it, he's proving it each week. 

36 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Both are superior except for with their feet.  But Southgate has this club England thing where he picks players he's used together a lot.  Might be too late for him to swap.  He should, Pope or Henderson would do better than Pickford.

Pickford should be nowhere near the England team.  I honestly mean that.  Nowt to do with his mackem connections.  I just think he's a hopeless goalkeeper.  Why Southgate picks him is beyond belief.

Just now, Rod said:

Pickford should be nowhere near the England team.  I honestly mean that.  Nowt to do with his mackem connections.  I just think he's a hopeless goalkeeper.  Why Southgate picks him is beyond belief.

He's been good for England and his distribution is very good, it makes sense why he keeps getting picked