Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It will obviously come across as entitled given our incredible performance in the league, but I’m absolutely foaming with our displays in the FA Cup under Howe. 

It’s been two huge embarrassments against League One opposition. 

I’ve mentioned in another post that our FA Cup struggles obviously predate his time here, but our mentality in my eyes is still just shit in these games.

He was let down largely by poor finishing, but I have to be honest that going out two years in a row to this level of opposition is a real sore-point.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It really goes to show how quickly certain fans will turn on him if things aren't consistently rosy in the garden. We're on the up, but there's going to be bumps and set backs along the way.

Complete madness isn't it, one defeat and people lose their minds.

I would have liked to have seen Isak on with our good players rather than start with the dross was the only thing I think he should have done differently.

He's not doing anything different than managers of top teams would do. No criticism from me for squad rotation. It's just unfortunately his second string are dogs meat. 

The only hysteria I see on here is people unable to accept legitimate and balanced critique without throwing their toys out of the pram. I have had a lifetime of watching us be absolutely shit in the FA Cup. It was a hope that this would change very quickly. The fact it hasn't happened is one of the few blemishes on his record so far. It's just a blemish in an otherwise exceptional record - bit it still is one.

Still love Eddie. He's working wonders with most of the squad. We know the ones who are a lost cause, and I'm sure the board know as well. Hopefully this will act as a catalyst for Tuesday, and we'll batter Leicester.

Just now, pubteam said:

Complete madness isn't it, one defeat and people lose their minds.

I don’t think much of our fans generally but this place is chock full of the most conceited, entitled fuckers that we possess. And it’s only got worse since the takeover. 

Won't knock Eddie for this. We had chances. There was enough on that pitch to beat them. Some, many are just not good enough.

Lascelles just projects uncertainty in the back four, as does Dubravka. Both are decent footballers but not leaders. That's the difference with these top players like Tripps and Bruno, they want the ball, they are leaders. Even Joe and BDB, they never hide. 

You add average players to that in Lewis, Wood, Murphy & Ritchie, along with Longstaff. One of these players can be carried by the above, 3-4 of these starting and you turn back to the old NUFC, weak as piss mentally.

Squad needs strengthening asap. Howe needs some reserves.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

25 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The only hysteria I see on here is people unable to accept legitimate and balanced critique without throwing their toys out of the pram. I have had a lifetime of watching us be absolutely shit in the FA Cup. It was a hope that this would change very quickly. The fact it hasn't happened is one of the few blemishes on his record so far. It's just a blemish in an otherwise exceptional record - bit it still is one.

That's kind of the point isn't it?

Tonight saw an average performance and some poor finishing produce a crap result.

Some of the lads who produced that performance aren't particularly good, something we already knew.

It depends how much of an issue you have with the league and the latter stages of the League Cup being prioritised ahead of the first round of the FA Cup.

Edited by The Prophet

6 minutes ago, christ said:

I don’t think much of our fans generally but this place is chock full of the most conceited, entitled fuckers that we possess. And it’s only got worse since the takeover. 

Similarly I would say there are posters on here who contribute so little they might as well just log off, such is their inability to engage with nuance or debate without having a childish meltdown and slagging off other supporters. In fact since the ownership change this has got worse - such is the positivity towards the new ownership.

Nobody has anything other than praise for the unbelievable job that Howe has done. But two 3rd round exits to lower league opposition is, in isolation, a bit of a disappointment. That is all and I imagine Howe is himself very frustrated by it. 

If I'm Eddie Howe on the bus back up the A1 then I'm not even looking at them, let alone speaking to some of them tonight. They wanted a chance, they got a chance and they completely blew it with that pigshit tonight. 

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Similarly I would say there are posters on here who contribute so little they might as well just log off, such is their inability to engage with nuance or debate without having a childish meltdown and slagging off other supporters. In fact since the ownership change this has got worse - such is the positivity towards the new ownership.

Nobody has anything other than praise for the unbelievable job that Howe has done. But two 3rd round exits to lower league opposition is, in isolation, a bit of a disappointment. That is all and I imagine Howe is himself very frustrated by it. 

Can't just say that. Gotta name names.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't think you should be isolating them though. One was at the start of his reign before the transfers came in when we were bottom of the league, this season's has come when we're clearly prioritising a cup that we're 2 rounds away from a final and are going for a top 6 position. Both games we created more than enough clearcut chances to win as well. 

Of course he'll be gutted. At the end of the day, this result isn't on him. It's the absolute shower he was left with who were largely inept to squeeze a result out of an FA Cup tie to frankly shite opposition.

All this is is a stark reminder of the lack of depth and quality we have. The players that were out there tonight had a chance to make a claim for a starting place. They fucked it up royally.

Edited by toon25

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Of course he'll be gutted. At the end of the day, this result isn't on him. It's the absolute shower he was left with who were largely inept to squeeze a result out of an FA Cup tie to frankly shite opposition.

All this is is a stark reminder of the lack of depth and quality we have. The players that were out there tonight had a chance to make a claim for a starting place. They fucked it up royally.

To be fair, none of our fringe players, if in their right minds, think they have a claim for a starting place.

Probably why Lascelles hasn’t moaned yet. He must look at Schar and Botman and think ‘fair play, I’m shit’. 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

To be fair, none of our fringe players, if in their right minds, think they have a claim for a starting place.

Probably why Lascelles hasn’t moaned yet. He must look at Schar and Botman and think ‘fair play, I’m shit’. 

I noticed today Ritchie was a lot calmer than he normally is, especially when the subs came on. When he's played regularly I think he's seen himself as one of the major players, I think he recognises he's not at the level of those around him today later on in the game. I thought he was decent fwiw.

44 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It really goes to show how quickly certain fans will turn on him if things aren't consistently rosy in the garden. We're on the up, but there's going to be bumps and set backs along the way.

Its disappointing. The last two times we were doing well, this was not the reaction at Luton with an infinitely better team under KK that was also 3rd or under Sir Bobby in his various losses to lower league teams (Wolves, West Brom, Norwich). Old school maybe but cant see how that's the wrong way to handle it.

Arsenal, Blackburn, Leeds and ourselves were beaten by lower league sides (Arsenal at home by 3rd Division Bolton) that week at Luton. They won the cup Winners Cup four month later. We finished 3rd and Blackburn 2nd. 

Edited by Wolfcastle

He had no choice but to rest players, man. Most in fact had even weaker lineups to send out in the pregame thread. There was enough out there to beat a League one side and we did have the chances. Their keepers had a good game and we've missed three sitters. Just one of those days that often happen in these sort of games. 

The hectic schedule, our threadbare squad along with the league cup and league form made perfect sense to give our keys players a rest for this fixture and prioritise others. He's been let down by the players he's given a chance too, it's hard to pin much blame on him. 

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Yep, agreed

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its disappointing. The last two times we were doing well, this was not the reaction at Luton with an infinitely better team under KK that was also 3rd or under Sir Bobby in his various losses to lower league teams (Wolves, West Brom, Norwich). Old school maybe but cant see how that's the wrong way to handle it.

Arsenal, Blackburn, Leeds and ourselves were beaten by lower league sides (Arsenal at home by 3rd Division Bolton) that week at Luton. They won the cup Winners Cup four month later. We finished 3rd and Blackburn 2nd. 

I was on the coaches back from Luton in 94 and Wolves in 03 mind - plenty were fucking furious :) 

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Even after binging old season review after season review over lockdown, I completely forgot about those cup losses when we were mint until reading this. Feel better now. I'll get the Leicester thread up :lol: