Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Is there anywhere that says exactly what he did after leaving Bournemouth? 

Obviously he went to see Simone and I think he went to visit one of the rugby teams to view their training? 

Would love to know what else he did in that 6 months as it had a huge influence on him. 

Just now, Scotty66 said:

Obviously he went to see Simone and I think he went to visit one of the rugby teams to view their training? 

Would love to know what else he did in that 6 months as it had a huge influence on him. 

I’m sure he talks about it on the podcast with Jake Humphries. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

I’m sure he talks about it on the podcast with Jake Humphries. 

Yeah I've listened to that but from what I remember he didn't give to much away apart from the rugby team iirc. 

Edit - think he said he went to see Eddie Hearn too?

Edited by Scotty66

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

Went to watch Iraola at Vallecano (who we just played in a friendly the other week) as well. I think I put an post back in March up about it all, I'll try and dig it out.

I'd love to kna what he says to Arteta when he was remonstrating. Looked like he was simply, politely telling him to calm down and when he wouldn't Howe looked just like, sick almost, like he couldn't be fucked. Then he started telling him where to go eventually. Wad dying for him to lose his shit but so glad he didn't like. Great leadership.

6 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

On 11/03/2022 at 16:49, HaydnNUFC said:

I'll give it a go.

Looking back to the start of this season, when Ashley and Bruce were still here and how toxic the club was mainly in around September I was screaming for Howe to take over from Bruce. Looking back I thought he may have taken the job even with Ashley, but given how he looked for the right job after his time out of work I doubt he would've done. I've always rated him, his achievements at Bournemouth are so vastly underrated. What he did there is something you'd probably only see on Football Manager: taking a club from administration in League 2 (granted he left then came back when they were in League 1) to the Premier League and keeping them in the Premier League for 5 seasons playing attacking football is as good an achievement as winning a bit of silverware for me. But given this country's media and supporters' myopic view of managers where only the final outcomes are looked at rather than the whole context he was never going to be given credit that he probably deserved. He oversaw the greatest period in Bournemouth's history and that's the bottom line. And to achieve what he did there is some doing; building multiple squads for various leagues, improving players, maintaining their attacking identity, it's all the hallmarks of a fantastic coach. 

Now Bournemouth imo were always going to go down eventually and that's no fault of Howe's. Given the size of that club without meaning disrespect there was always going to be a ceiling in terms of revenue, the type of player they could attract et cetera. Even still, they would've stayed up had they not had so many injuries over the 2019-20 season and/or the goal line technology was switched on at Villa Park. 

Now it was mentioned in the discussion of my post about English football and managers post-Guardiola that the young, progressive, modern coaches such as Howe, Potter, many others in the Championship are the complete antithesis of the likes of Bruce, Pardew, Allardyce because they go out of their way to improve themselves rather than just searching for their next pay day. Potter went to Ostersunds in Sweden for his first job: completely unheard of for young English managers to go abroad for their first job. Howe spent his time out watching his training sessions at Bournemouth back, going over to Spain and watching Simeone work at Atleti, watching Andoni Iraola work at Rayo Vallecano who has brought a relatively small club into La Liga and got to the semi finals of the Copa del Rey. Iraola said of Howe;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10212107/Rayo-Vallecano-coach-Andoni-Iraola-opens-tremendous-Radamel-Falcao-teams-rise-LaLiga.html

Amongst that, this is what he also was doing prior to being interviewed and appointed here, remember that it was Al-Rumayyan who was wowed by his knowledge and attention to detail in how he'd improve us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/11/05/incoming-newcastle-boss-eddie-howe-set-road-tyneside-diego-simeone/

Now if you look at how he's improved the team in it's general play, I've included some graphs that are spoilered amongst the fact that Newcastle are unbeaten this year and are sitting at the 'points collected in top 5 leagues this year' table with Liverpool, Barcelona and Sevilla. Above Manchester City.

Reveal hidden contents

Pre Brighton, this is from the Athletic on Joelinton.

From the Athletic on Schar.

Such a minute thing, but on the team photos after wins from the Athletic.

Out attacking play from out wide from the Brentford (a), clearly coached us to exploit overloads on weaker flanks.

Reveal hidden contents

Jn9C1I7.png

yB75UFJ.png

VmNtnQM.png

Now this on our passing structure. Look at the mess under Bruce. Then look at the clear structure under Howe, even when it didn't work against Watford.

Reveal hidden contents

Fx4T85i.png

lheiulX.png

It's also clear to see that tactically he's good; Leeds (a), West Ham (a), Brentford (a), Brighton (h), Southampton (a). The performances in those games weren't flawless but we picked up 13 points in them. Some of them like Leeds (a) and last night were pure Benitez in terms of picking up those points and grinding out those wins without being swashbuckling. Against good sides too. Brighton had only lost 2 away games before coming to SJP. Southampton had only lost 1 home game before last night. 

And we're still away from what he eventually wants us to be; a side that controls possession, scores goals, plays open attacking football that's pleasing on the eye. We'll get there when we get a better quality in player in the transfer market. His work ethic and his demand on the training ground is akin also to peak Benitez but also commands a philosophy more akin to Keegan. Him and Tindall already seem to me to have a Keegan-Terry Mac dynamic. The way he speaks about the supporters and the club is lightyears away from the patronising bell ends of Bruce and Souness and the belittling shite from Pardew. It's more like Keegan, Benitez, SBR, Hughton, Roeder. He has all the traits to be one of a kind here.

I'll finish this whole thing on this from .com after Brentford as it sums up his time so far so well. And who knows what the future holds.

"What is more than evident though is that he's [Howe] earned the gratitude of the Geordie Nation; restoring a connection with their team and making the matchday experience pleasurable again. For that, we're thankful.

8 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

I'm sure I watched an interview where he mentioned he studied the data side of everything and also something about what all the other top managers were doing, he said he never stopped in his time out of the game, because he knew when he came back he wanted to be better. 

I think he was saying, "See you Mikel, Pep and you,you swing jawed fuckwit, we're coming for you."

I'm not the best lip reader admittedly, think that was the gist of it like.

When he was having that bust up with Arteta at the end, when it panned back to the game I actually stood up in the pub and shouted at the TV " don't fucking concede now!".

The thought of Arsenal scoring and Arteta celebrating in his face made me fucking sick.

That's.

My.

Fucking.

Manager.

14dallas.1_190.jpg.51ef9aec6813563e918f9ac42552b0e4.jpg

Edited by Shak

Tindall deserves a lot of credit too by the way. There was a class moment when Arsenal had a throw in and Tindall threw the ball away. A couple of Arsenal fans beside me in the pub went mad demanding to know who he was. ;D 

Just now, Decky said:

Tindall deserves a lot of credit too by the way. There was a class moment when Arsenal had a throw in and Tindall threw the ball away. A couple of Arsenal fans beside me in the pub went mad demanding to know who he was. ;D 

The shithouse godfather, that’s who. :lol:

Love him me. 

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

What's our lowest loss record for a season?

In a season that lasted more than 30 games, 4 in the 2009-10 Championship season. In the top flight it's 8, has happened 3 times and all have been in the PL: 1995-96, 1996-97 and 2003-04.

15 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

In a season that lasted more than 30 games, 4 in the 2009-10 Championship season. In the top flight it's 8, has happened 3 times and all have been in the PL: 1995-96, 1996-97 and 2003-04.

Honestly can’t see us losing 7 games between now and the end of the season, record could be broken.

I was watching him very closely last night, he is so animated and passionate on the touch line. We've not had someone like that for a long time. Absolutely years ahead of any dross we've had since SBR. I have to pinch myself at times to think what he has achieved in the time frame that he's been here. I hope he stays here for the rest of his career.

8 hours ago, Scotty66 said:

Yeah I've listened to that but from what I remember he didn't give to much away apart from the rugby team iirc. 

Edit - think he said he went to see Eddie Hearn too?

Pretty sure it was Barry Hearn? He was gushing in praise. I was listening to that part when in the kitchen though so may have it wrong.