Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Love how it’s bedwetting it even slightly question a guy who during his last job literally relegated a team. I’ll get behind him, and I don’t think he’s a terrible manager but that run of form they had was truly abysmal. Worse than anything under pardew or Bruce 

I just try looking at the bigger picture.

Since Bobby; Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear, Hughton, Pardew, McClaren and Bruce.

8 managers that I'm comfortable that Howe pisses all over (respect to Hughton though) and only one of them did I feel was a good appointment at the time (Allardyce, boy I was wrong).

That's 20 years worth of managers who have either failed or I didn't want.

For once we have one I'm happy to have.

Richard Hughes was his technical director at Bournemouth but didn’t seem like he reported to him, and they had a scouting by committee or transfer committee approach. Every manager has hit and misses in terms of signings. 

seems like we’re going for more of a man city approach of having having a senior sporting director or DOF who is more of an administrative role. 

9 minutes ago, GWN said:

I agree , get Howe in and get the absolute weapons mouths shut on Twitter.

Id have snapped ya hands off for him 3 months ago , we should be lucky to have him .

The comments against him are embarrassing.

The only thing that worries me about Howe is his defensive frailty’s and because were so suspect in defence. He is 1000x better than Bruce in every way, I just feel until we can build a team we would have been better with a more defensively minded coach with the players we have 

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I just try looking at the bigger picture.

Since Bobby; Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear, Hughton, Pardew, McClaren and Bruce.

8 managers that I'm comfortable that Howe pisses all over (respect to Hughton though) and only one of them did I feel was a good appointment at the time (Allardyce, boy I was wrong).

That's 20 years worth of managers who have either failed or I didn't want.

For once we have one I'm happy to have.

agreed again, I was also guilty of thinking SA was a good appointment!

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

The only thing that worries me about Howe is his defensive frailty’s and because were so suspect in defence. He is 1000x better than Bruce in every way, I just feel until we can build a team we would have been better with a more defensively minded coach with the players we have 

Have some trust 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah fair enough, but it’s fair to question him, their record was extremely bad and he seemed like he had no idea how to change, still playing wide open and shipping goals all over the shop. My concern is our defence is bad right now, does he make it any better? 

If you look at Bournemouth’s record that’s a no. Looks like he might get the job, so he certainly deserves the support and the opportunity if he is appointed. Still maintain it will be a disaster, I just hope he proves me wrong If he gets the job. Trust me, nobody will be happier if he does.

Didn’t one of our managers say we couldn’t compete with the likes of Bournemouth? I recall jealousy on this forum when they made signings, whether they worked out for them or not. Howe, if appointed, has a different sales pitch - be part of the revolution of this club, everything you see today in facilities are changing (here are some renderings, etc) and oh money really isn’t an issue here. He never got that at a 15k stadium and a club that was literally just hoping to not fall down. Once we solidify and get out of the drop zone and into Jan - everything changes. 

I'm quite warming to the idea of Howe now. Was a bit pissed off yesterday with the Emery rejection but he's obviously bottled it. 

I just hope there's plans yo bring in a DOF to work alongside Howe and they can plan for the transfer window. 

I think once Howe has taken training for a couple of weeks we'll start to see a difference on the field. The players are obviously unfit and can't last the whole 90 minutes thanks to Bruce's free days off. 

So anyway, just waiting for Howe to knock us back now:lol:

I have no problem whatsoever with Bournemouth being relegated with him as manager, or the bad run of form really. I'm sure there's more context to it with injuries etc. It's the consistent shipping of goals throughout all of Bournemouth's seasons that worries me. I'm hoping that rather than going the Emery or Rafa route of sorting the defense out and being compact and hard to break down, Howe can just offset the poor defense with a much better attack. 

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah fair enough, but it’s fair to question him, their record was extremely bad and he seemed like he had no idea how to change, still playing wide open and shipping goals all over the shop. My concern is our defence is bad right now, does he make it any better? 

We have better defenders available than the ones who are being selected currently, so possibly. 

I think I can speak for everyone here to say that Emery would have been a better appointment for us.

It's right that the club tried to get him, they failed and have a few lessons to learn. We need to "dust ourselves down", as Kebabchops would have said and get someone who can move us forward.

Just now, STM said:

BTW @ManDoonI think everyone is entitled to have the discussion about Howe, with regards to pros and cons.

I'm just in a positive frame of mind because the club is at least attempting to be positive.

True but we are going around in circles if a debate revolves around the likes of well even McLaren once won promotion, well Bruce kept NUFC up, well Liverpool spent less than Bournemouth one season and went onto win the league… I’m gonna stick to the proper variables in the context of Howe or any new manager and what they achieved or didn’t and base my feelings and thoughts on what’s true, fact and relative to the debate.

Again saying he spent fortunes at Bournemouth by highlighting they had a net spend more than Liverpool did one season is the same kind of stupid and really banal shite that sees Bruce compared to or even thought of as better than Rafa because he totalled his points tally or finished in the same league position.

1 hour ago, kisearch said:

The quality of the squad, the position the club's in, the lack of enthusiasm from fans, the long term expectation, knowing you're second choice, knowing unless you pull off something incredible you're going to be replaced fairly quickly. 

Considering the jobs he's supposedly turned down, I don't understand why that ^ would be what you were looking for. 

Because its a challenge.  One of the other jobs was Celtic where he would have been sacked as soon as it was apparent Rangers were going to win the SPL.  With newcastle its a long term building project where he will be given the opportunity to do just that if he keeps us up in the short term!!

7 minutes ago, GWN said:

Have some trust 

I will, if he’s appointed and will get behind him 110%. Remember Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. And it’s just my opinion that currently we would have been better with a more defensive coach. 

Bruce is better than Howe, we thrashed them last season. Howe is better than Conte, they thrashed Chelsea a few seasons back.

Not having a dig at anyone btw, just using such kind of without context arguments to argue for or against Howe or anyone else is dumb IMO.

Edited by HTT II

12 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

agreed again, I was also guilty of thinking SA was a good appointment!

At the time SA was a great appointment. We had no money and needed someone to build a team from nothing like he did at Bolton. Problem was he came to us thinking he'd have loads to spend, and Shepherd happily sold him that line, despite the fact that Souness had spent the next 5 years of available money

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I really like Howe as a bloke, and think he’s light years ahead of what we have but there is risk involved, he hasn’t managed outside of one team with any success. 

True. But we're also just not in a situation that's ever going to be risk free. Maybe it feels slightly less risky with Emery or that ilk, but, given where we are, it's just an inherently risky situation pretty much whomever gets appointed. That not to say "fuck it then, just appoint trash" either, but I don't think that's what we'd be doing here.

15 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I really like Howe as a bloke, and think he’s light years ahead of what we have but there is risk involved, he hasn’t managed outside of one team with any success. 

That’s a good post, but then there’s risk with anyone atm. The less risk for me is attached to Benitez but that’s only because I trust him with my club. If Howe says and does the right things I’ll be right behind him.

Edited by Thomson Mouse

When it all boils down, I don't think anyone has strong opposition to Howe, unlike we did with Bruce Pardew at el.

I had high hopes that with new owners we would attract those fringe top managers, get a few players in and then world's our oyster.

But with the emery rejection its most definitely handed us a dose of realism that this club is still fundamentally fucked from the inside out.

Only a couple months ago I was honestly barely mustering the enthusiasm to come on here and discuss anything or take in the debate, because there was none. The football was barely talked about and instead it was arbitration and court cases and slimy PL directors. 

Fast forward to now, we have no Ashley, no Bruce. We have unfortunately been rebuffed by emery but our owners decided he was a good man to take this project on and I'm fucking overjoyed that they came to that conclusion.

Considering what came before, I honestly afford these owners way more stock to make mistakes, it's only fair.

The way the takeover finally went down kind of fucked us. I mean I'm 1000% happy it happened. I think it just fucked having any kind of rhythm in terms of getting stuff lined up on the front end and implementing it smoothly. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, though.

Edited by B-more Mag

6 minutes ago, NE27 said:

When it all boils down, I don't think anyone has strong opposition to Howe, unlike we did with Bruce Pardew at el.

I had high hopes that with new owners we would attract those fringe top managers, get a few players in and then world's our oyster.

But with the emery rejection its most definitely handed us a dose of realism that this club is still fundamentally fucked from the inside out.

Only a couple months ago I was honestly barely mustering the enthusiasm to come on here and discuss anything or take in the debate, because there was none. The football was barely talked about and instead it was arbitration and court cases and slimy PL directors. 

Fast forward to now, we have no Ashley, no Bruce. We have unfortunately been rebuffed by emery but our owners decided he was a good man to take this project on and I'm fucking overjoyed that they came to that conclusion.

Considering what came before, I honestly afford these owners way more stock to make mistakes, it's only fair.

This