Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Aye it's what he's all about, constant reflection, constant improvement, nothings ever as good as it can be. 

It's what makes me think he'll be here for long time as I just don't see a time when we'll stagnate, he'll continue to learn/teach himself and we'll evolve with him. 

I'm not being sensationalist here, but I genuinely think Howe is the best manager of my lifetime - better than Keegan and SBR, and I love them both dearly.

He has it all, and I think we've just seen the first year of a dynasty that will end up being compared to SAF and Pep in time.

Amazing time to be a Toon fan.

Eddie's biggest enemy is Eddie himself. With his own high standards, coupled with expectations from everyone associated with the new Newcastle United, his innate intensity may also cause him to burn out lot faster than his time at Bournemouth.

I agree that if he’s here in three year’s time he will likely eclipse Bobby and Keegan because there’s no way we’re not going to be top 4 in three year’s time and a force in the cups. I genuinely think we’ll win something with him in these next three years. The only thing that could go wrong is if he doesn’t get backed but I’ve got no concerns about that at all. He’s absolutely fucking class and like he said in the podcast, his greatest strength is improving players. Who else improves players to the degree that he does, whilst also instilling huge confidence in them and working out perfect tactical systems? I love him 

I think he burnt out at Bournemouth because he was working within such a limited financial system in order to keep them progressing. He got them as far as they possibly could but he always wanted more. Now, he can go as far as he wants with us with no restraints and I think he’s maybe better at delegating than he used to be. I don’t think he’s going to burn out here 

A very enjoyable listen but I actually felt a bit sad at some of what he said. His 'obsession' (for want of a better word) seems almost overwhelming & a divisive thing in his life. It was interesting to hear him talk about if he enjoyed the experience of being a manager as well. 

That Bournemouth thread is excellent too - I totally missed the Arter situation. Fantastic stuff.

Just finished the podcast. It was really fascinating in parts, you can tell the Bournemouth relegation still haunts him a little and unlike other managers he seems to take responsibility for it. 

There wasn’t too many specifics about us in there but some of it was telling. Particularly the parts about how willing the players were to be coached and improve. I think we all thought we had a better squad than Bruce had the media repeating. 

Was good to hear Jacob Murphy was a fan of the podcast he seems like a player that’s worked hard to save his career in the Premier League by working on himself rather than letting it fizzle out like some players do. 

Slight negative Howe mentioned a book similar to the secret. All that stuff is utter tosh. 

4 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Just finished the podcast. It was really fascinating in parts, you can tell the Bournemouth relegation still haunts him a little and unlike other managers he seems to take responsibility for it. 

There wasn’t too many specifics about us in there but some of it was telling. Particularly the parts about how willing the players were to be coached and improve. I think we all thought we had a better squad than Bruce had the media repeating. 

Was good to hear Jacob Murphy was a fan of the podcast he seems like a player that’s worked hard to save his career in the Premier League by working on himself rather than letting it fizzle out like some players do. 

Slight negative Howe mentioned a book similar to the secret. All that stuff is utter tosh. 

Positive visualisation is scientifically proven to have an actual effect. It’s why top sportsmen often use it so much. The Secret itself is a bit twee but the science is there. 

Read enough about Quantum Physics too and you’ll be questioning your own reality and the way you understand the universe. 

Edited by LV

21 minutes ago, LV said:

Positive visualisation is scientifically proven to have an actual effect. It’s why top sportsmen often use it so much. The Secret itself is a bit twee but the science is there. 

Read enough about Quantum Physics too and you’ll be questioning your own reality and the way you understand the universe. 

Agree that visualisation is critical for sports. It's been around for years and is very well proven.

It's not a shock because he's obviously the manager but liked how he answered the question about Emery being first choice

There's a lot of egotistical people that would have taken issue with that but it's not about ego with him

He's brilliant and I really hope he's here for many, many years. I also hope people show patience with him if we ever hit a bump in the road and have a dodgy patch

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Crazy, seems like a lifetime ago he was appointed. So much has happened in 12months.

I was genuinely underwhelmed with the appointment at the time. A lot of that was down to Emery's u-turn and I thought Howe was a massive downgrade on Emery, plus I didn't think Howe was anything special to begin with.

With players like Wilson and ASM in the squad I was always quietly confident we'd avoid the drop as the other teams down in the mix didn't have any players as good as those two.  It would have been impossible for Howe to have done a worse job than his predecessor, but I was honestly expecting us to finish around 15th or something at best and avoid the drop with a few games to spare. In my mind, best case scenario was that he turns us into a mid-table side and he'd be used as a stepping stone to a better manager: sort of like how Hughes was at Man City.

The turnaround has been incredible. There's not one criticism you can throw his way during his time here. Every player has been given a chance, there's no favourites. If you play well, you stay in the side (see Murphy and Longstaff). Players I'd happily have seen the back of (Almiron & Joelinton) are completely reborn. He's spent wisely and bedded the big signings in carefully. 

He's really bought into the club and the players and fans have really bought into him. He never puts his foot in it with silly comments, he's calm and meticulous. 

Mad to think he came close to getting the Celtic job.

11 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

No if I remember rightly he wanted Mourinho and even asked him to be his assistant. He was knowledgeable about Continental football, even at Barcelona he chose Ronaldo when he could have chosen Shearer etc so defo wasn’t obvious that he would have gone PFM

I'm not trying to denigrate him but by then Jose was at Chelsea and i just think at the time people like Moyes & Bruce hadn't been found out.

So i think that's the way it would've went over someone continental. Especially with fat Freddie having final say. 

To bring it back on topic. Eddie Howe will win us the silverware in the next 3/4 years. 

Right man at the right time. 

Much like Keegan, much like SBR. If he can get a good run in one of the cups and can win one in the next 2 years. He’ll be here for as long as he wants imo.

My worry is if PCP ever get itchy feet with him if things don’t keep improving year on year. Hopefully Ashworth and Eales around the club now takes that decision making process slightly away from them.

I will freely admit i was disappointed when he was appointed, as i was hoping for a big successful name, but it's impossible to argue with his results so far which on form put him top by a fair margin. 

Whoever identified him as a perfect manager for us needs a medal 

11 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Wanted him from the very start. My man(ager). :smugdog:

Ditto :)

I wonder what the percentage split was for those disappointed he was appointed?

I also imagine Howe has a 100% approval rating amongst fans. When was the last time we had that? SBR circa 2003?

2 hours ago, LV said:

Totally agree about positive visualisation but the secret is borderline evangelical Christian faith healer levels of bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Ditto :)

I wonder what the percentage split was for those disappointed he was appointed?

I also imagine Howe has a 100% approval rating amongst fans. When was the last time we had that? SBR circa 2003?

I admit I was actually disappointed. After it looking so likely that Emery was going to be the man, I was blinded by the pedigree. Emery also had Villareal playing some fantastic football at that time and had them in the champions league. 

In my defense I think even the people excited about Howe didn't expect at the time how amazing he has actually been.