Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

The second cup (equivalent to league cup) in France was discontinued in 2020. Edit: According to Wiki to prevent fixture congenstion. I'll stand corrected on Portugal.

It's still stupid and redundant, in my subjective opinion. 

We won’t persuade each other on this one, of course.

But the League Cup exists because of the unusual way that English football’s governing bodies were set up - the FA and the Football League are of course separate entities.  And the Football League has been fucked over enough by the breakaway PL - done entirely for reasons of greed.   I don’t see why the Football League should be further dicked over.

I’m 100% with you on giving the FA Cup a CL place, BTW.

English football of course did try to have a fourth cup competition, but it really didn’t work, no-one could be persuaded to care about the ZDS Cup

I would be in favour of a little rotation tonight but not a lot tbh. I want us to win both games. Would be up for something like this

Dubs

Krafth Lascelles Burn Livra

Bruno Longstaff Ritchie/Miley

Miggy Wilson Hall

The subs bench will be interesting but I would use Miley, Trippier, Botman and Gordon after 60+ minutes if available

9 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Aren't Chelsea absolutely shite against low blocks? Sitting deep for 45 and getting some big guns on at half time to go for it sounds pretty viable.

Sort of what we did against City at home.  Not sure how much of that was by design, mind.  But it worked on that occasion. 

I don't want us to go with a really weakened team.  But we could field a strong enough side all things considered.  But still have the option of Gordon, Trippier and perhaps Isak as options off the bench.  Who all sound like they're struggling to complete 90 minutes and are playing through niggly injuries. 

58 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Aren't Chelsea absolutely shite against low blocks? Sitting deep for 45 and getting some big guns on at half time to go for it sounds pretty viable.

They’re just absolutely shite in general tbh.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Honestly, as bad as we've been this season, we annihilated Chelsea. I can't see any other result than a comfortable Newcastle win.

On 14/12/2023 at 12:17, BullyDogs said:

General hypothetic question here seeing as we were very interested in him before appointing Howe but would anyone swap Emery for him and do we think Emery would have done any better in the same space of time and further on?

Are you muzzled and sterilised? 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We won’t persuade each other on this one, of course.

But the League Cup exists because of the unusual way that English football’s governing bodies were set up - the FA and the Football League are of course separate entities.  And the Football League has been fucked over enough by the breakaway PL - done entirely for reasons of greed.   I don’t see why the Football League should be further dicked over.

I’m 100% with you on giving the FA Cup a CL place, BTW.

English football of course did try to have a fourth cup competition, but it really didn’t work, no-one could be persuaded to care about the ZDS Cup

I warmed to it when it became the Zimod cup though. 

Cannot workout what his plan is going into games with a bench full of keepers and players he's got no intention of playing unless there's injuries, not putting a striker on the bench even though Wilson is injury prone just begging for more injuries with that type of squad management. We get two back and two pull up it can't go on like this. 

8 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I have all the time in the world for Eddie and I hope he's here for 1000 matches, but he really needs to figure out a solution to the way that we play away from home.

The flat 4-5-1 ain't it.

Yeah it's not helping with the fatigue issue either. We can't control the game away from home so end up chasing the ball for the majority of the match, anyone who's played footy knows how tiring that is compared to maintaining spells of possession. I'm not sure if it's the formation or how deep we drop after scoring, but it's been an issue all season away from home. 

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Yeah it's not helping with the fatigue issue either. We can't control the game away from home so end up chasing the ball for the majority of the match, anyone who's played footy knows how tiring that is compared to maintaining spells of possession. I'm not sure if it's the formation or how deep we drop after scoring, but it's been an issue all season away from home. 

If we can't play our press or with higher intensity we just look a bit lost. He's set us up to play that way but currently we don't have the players to do it. 

The constant recent (necessary due to injuries) swapping around of players can't help. E.g. Wilson plays very differently to Isak, so the rest of the team needs to adapt game by game depending on who is available.

Likewise Dubs plays differently to Pope, Lascelles to Schar, or Botman, Livramento to Burn, etc etc. So even a change of formation won't just be as simple as that, because even within a different formation, not everyone would be suited to it or able to perform the same way within it.

Add to that they are all running on fumes or in some cases playing with knocks or unfit, with no options on the bench and this run is hardly a shock.

However gutting last night's result was, we all could see this was about to be a nightmare run of December fixtures, so I'm really not sure why it's a surprise that this is how it's turned out so far.

And yet in most of those games they have been pretty creditable performances anyway and barring individual errors (including from refs) should have come away with more. Fine no-one is happy with the results, but I'm not laying any of the blame on that with Howe who is trying to stitch together a Frankenstein's monster of a squad at times.

It's a double-edged sword for Howe at the moment though, the same injuries that mean we can't press every minute also mean we haven't had the technical players available to control possession. Not sure we have the technical players in the squad TBH.

Also, it's extremely difficult to find time to coach the squad in two or more different ways of playing while having three games a week plus travel. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's a double-edged sword for Howe at the moment though, the same injuries that mean we can't press every minute also mean we haven't had the technical players available to control possession. Not sure we have the technical players in the squad TBH.

Also, it's extremely difficult to find time to coach the squad in two or more different ways of playing while having three games a week plus travel. 

We manage to control games at home though, to me it's either a physiological issue or and instruction to drop off once we score away from home. We've done it all season, not just during the injury crisis. 

Howe has done a brilliant job overall. But he needs to find a way to play better away from home. 

Newcastle invited pressure in the 2nd half vs both PSG and Chelsea away. And while it was an unfair VAR call and player error that ultimately cost them, you're asking for trouble when you can't keep the ball for large spells.

Also, I think he needs to trust his bench more. The players were dead on their feet in Paris. It would have been better to bring on a youngster or two for some energy instead of carrying corpses. Last night was the same. Hall or Murphy could have been brought on.

17 minutes ago, Andy said:

We manage to control games at home though, to me it's either a physiological issue or and instruction to drop off once we score away from home. We've done it all season, not just during the injury crisis. 

Look at the difference between home an away form in all teams sports all round the world.

9 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I have all the time in the world for Eddie and I hope he's here for 1000 matches, but he really needs to figure out a solution to the way that we play away from home.

The flat 4-5-1 ain't it.

Agreed.  

I would prefer we defended in 2 banks of 4.   A solid 4411/442 should give you defensive cover but gives players more attacking options when they receive the ball and gives us more bodies to presss a defence.  

But honestly - something. Something else. 

Think what's frustrating is we can't really see this improving any time soon. We need players back and doesn't look like it's happening. We need Wilock, Isak and Barnes back and Joelinton, Gordon etc back to full fitness to play our game. Could be looking nearer February before we can put a team out with those players in.

Villa and Spurs both have easy games this weekend, certain 3 points. Howe needs to beat Luton, simple as that so we can cut the gap a bit hopefully the round after that when we host Forest while Spurs visit Brighton and  Villa visit Man utd.

away tactics have to improve and we need to control the games more. clean sheet would be great. only one clean sheet in PL this season (vs Sheffield 0-8) away from home.

that two games where we were not much better but had the lead in the games WHU away and Wolves away and we still could not make it count. important 4 points dropped there.