Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

If the owners are advised well, they'd be savvy to the footballing "philosophies" they'd want to pursue - and then look for the DoF and manager who'd work in synergy in accordance to these philosophies.

Say, Rafa as a manager and Rangnick as a DoF may work because they are both smart, meticulous students of the game - but their styles aren't really aligned. 

4 minutes ago, madras said:

I was never that enamoured with his style of play here and find the adulation for his time here a case of overpraising.

Style of play is dependant on the players he has. I would say being top 3 or 4 in creating big chances to conceding big chances ratio in Europe right now is a pretty good style to have.

1 minute ago, Misa said:

Style of play is dependant on the players he has. I would say being top 3 or 4 in creating big chances to conceding big chances ratio in Europe right now is a pretty good style to have.

I regularly had a go at him in the championship for being too pragmatic in the championship when he had the largest and most talented squad there.

Also we should use the same standards for Bruce then, do you think he wanted Joelinton ?

Rafa would still be my first choice. 0% chance of it happening but he ticks every single box.

Whilst his style of play was more functional than anything else, I found it cathartic having a manager who was actually able to implement a clear identity on the team and have us defensively organised. Furthermore, that period after Almiron signed was one of the best spells we'd seen at the club since 2008 when Keegan had Owen playing as a number 10. I choose to beleive that period would be more indicative of what he'd achieve with some funds rather than the prior 18 months when he was managing uphill. 

Not to mention he's been the only manager to engage football at a grassroot level since Keegan himself, he just gets it.

Edited by Thumbheed

Guest reefatoon
42 minutes ago, CFlan said:

Probably going against the tide here but I have no desire for Rafa to return. Was gutted when he left and all but I’d rather a completely fresh setup. 

I agree actually. Want to see someone new have a go.

Rafa would be my first choice too by a country mile.

Ideal man to start the project in the right way. Shame the timings didn’t work out. 

Edited by LV

1 hour ago, madras said:

I was never that enamoured with his style of play here and find the adulation for his time here a case of overpraising.

Did a good job with little money, had an affinity with the fans and wanted the best for the club so I can see why fans like him. That said our paths don’t align as he only recently took the Everton job and doesn’t walk out on contracts so we move on.

2 hours ago, LV said:

There is no way Rafa would break his contract. Just no way. 

Wenger maybe?

Thing is, Rafa certainly wouldn't break his contract, but Everton might. If they agreed then he'd be able to leave with a clear conscience and not having broken his contract.

... still, I think there's more chance of knitting fog on the Tyne, to be honest I was trying to think of a coach, who might have managed in Saudi, someone like Frank Rijkaard, but he's not done much for years.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

You'd imagine if they've had a number of interviews with Fonseca, they'll do the same with whoever else has made the final shortlist. 

I wonder if they've started looking at sporting directors, we've had contradictory reports on that, but you'd think they'd want one in as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Just as a side note, how mint is it to actually have an active forum with multiple threads getting contributed to?

It'd class. I was saying to my mate, its such a strange feeling, obviously I don't want us to go down, but I wouldn't even be that bothered if we did, as we now have owners who would do what is necessary to get us straight back up.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It'd class. I was saying to my mate, its such a strange feeling, obviously I don't want us to go down, but I wouldn't even be that possed if we did, as we now have owners who would do what is necessary to get us straight back up.

It's mad ain't it? Still have to pinch myself that our future is affectively secured. 

11 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Don't think I've ever been as active 

Same here. I love reading about us and following everything that's going on whereas when Ashley was here, I just couldn't be arsed anymore, in fact I actively avoided it.

Edited by Scoot

Few hours old now https://www.90min.com/posts/frank-lampard-not-in-contention-newcastle-job

Exclusive - Frank Lampard has not applied to be the next manager of Newcastle United, 90min understands.

It is understood that Newcastle's new owners, led by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, had a genuine interest in Lampard and he was encouraged to make a move for the job.

Harry Redknapp is one major figure in English football whose opinion on their manager situation has been sought by Newcastle, and it is known that he gave Eddie Howe, one of the main contenders, a glowing reference.

Redknapp was also asked about his nephew Lampard, and it is no surprise that he was full of praise for him, and that led to some of Newcastle's hierarchy pursuing a move.

90min revealed earlier this week that Newcastle had initially narrowed down their shortlist to Howe, Lucien Favre and Paulo Fonseca - all of whom had interviews in recent days.

Former Roma boss Fonseca impressed hugely during his talks, although the club also continued conversations with Howe and Favre and want to get the decision right.

Third parties have put forward the likes of Belgium boss Roberto Martinez and Villarreal's Unai Emery - but Newcastle would prefer someone out of work as they would not want to become embroiled in any legal battles.

2 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Few hours old now https://www.90min.com/posts/frank-lampard-not-in-contention-newcastle-job

Exclusive - Frank Lampard has not applied to be the next manager of Newcastle United, 90min understands.

It is understood that Newcastle's new owners, led by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, had a genuine interest in Lampard and he was encouraged to make a move for the job.

Harry Redknapp is one major figure in English football whose opinion on their manager situation has been sought by Newcastle, and it is known that he gave Eddie Howe, one of the main contenders, a glowing reference.

Redknapp was also asked about his nephew Lampard, and it is no surprise that he was full of praise for him, and that led to some of Newcastle's hierarchy pursuing a move.

90min revealed earlier this week that Newcastle had initially narrowed down their shortlist to Howe, Lucien Favre and Paulo Fonseca - all of whom had interviews in recent days.

Former Roma boss Fonseca impressed hugely during his talks, although the club also continued conversations with Howe and Favre and want to get the decision right.

Third parties have put forward the likes of Belgium boss Roberto Martinez and Villarreal's Unai Emery - but Newcastle would prefer someone out of work as they would not want to become embroiled in any legal battles.

Sounding promising for Fonseca :thup:

5 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Asking a bloke's uncle for his opinion on his nephew is very progressive.

If Jamie Reuben is mates with Redknapp, great, we need more friendly faces in the media, doesn’t mean that’ll translate to making poor choices in terms of what the club wants to achieve.

It won’t be Rafa.

It won’t be Wenger, who even if he was interested, he’s been out of the loop for too long. He moved football forward in this country for sure but everyone caught up and some surpassed him in the end. No thanks.

We like Fonseca. Young, confident and capable. Hopefully it’s him.

We keep hearing Conte is not in the conversation but I’m wondering, say if Ole gets the boot soon at Man Utd, they’ll be in for someone like him, so why wouldn’t we at least have that conversation before they get in there?

The fact the new owners are being methodical about this process is great though, almost seems like it’s happening to another club