Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Had to laugh at alchy Alan Brazil on Talkshite, saying how he wasn't having it that the players were unfit and didn't train to the same level under the previous manager. Howe is clearly a million times better from what we've seen so far, I can't imagine the players calling him Mike Bassett in a Whatsapp group.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Re Shelvey, didn't someone get a stat thing which showed he ran as much as everyone else and had decent pace as well but when you watch the game he's always chasing and behind the player who has broke on him, seemingly like he's slow to read the game defensively rather than being slow and lazy.

Might have dreamt it mind.

I remember reading an article maybe 10-ish years ago by a secret footballer(?) saying that it was quite common for players to maximize the distance covered with minimal effort during matches as a lot of managers, at the time at least, used it as a big metric for whom to play. Wouldn't be surprised if the Steves sports scientific approach would fall under that category and being fooled by a number instead of recognizing what is happening on the pitch, thus continuing to play Shelvey at every given opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I remember reading an article maybe 10-ish years ago by a secret footballer(?) saying that it was quite common for players to maximize the distance covered with minimal effort during matches as a lot of managers, at the time at least, used it as a big metric for whom to play. Wouldn't be surprised if the Steves sports scientific approach would fall under that category and being fooled by a number instead of recognizing what is happening on the pitch, thus continuing to play Shelvey at every given opportunity.

My dog probably runs 50 miles a day... 49 of them are running in circles after his tail like.. 

16 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's easy to cover distance at a constant speed for a long time...downside is that football requires short distances at high speed regularly with plenty of walking pace.

Shelvey could easily cover as much ground as St Maximin without breaking a sweat just by moving around generally as he simply doesn't have the same energy to make it effective.

It's pretty well documented that football is the most exhausting sport if done properly

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

It's easy to cover distance at a constant speed for a long time...downside is that football requires short distances at high speed regularly with plenty of walking pace.

Shelvey could easily cover as much ground as St Maximin without breaking a sweat just by moving around generally as he simply doesn't have the same energy to make it effective.

It's pretty well documented that football is the most exhausting sport if done properly

19 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

My dog probably runs 50 miles a day... 49 of them are running in circles after his tail like.. 

Not sure if I'm misinterpreting you, or you me, but the point I think you're trying to make is the same I was trying to; that Shelvey is most likely moving without any real purpose often to make it look like he puts in more effort than he does, and when the Steves have looked at the stats they think he puts enough effort in without much scrutiny on how effective his movement is.

I agree Shelvey for along time has been awful and looks lazy, can't remember last time he had a good game but I'm willing to give everyone a chance and see if they improve, wasn't that long ago people were saying he should get into the England squad. Maybe with more bodies in midfield and more passing options going forward he could improve. Can't see him being there long term but as with others surely they have more to offer than they have.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Not sure if I'm misinterpreting you, or you me, but the point I think you're trying to make is the same I was trying to; that Shelvey is most likely moving without any real purpose often to make it look like he puts in more effort than he does, and when the Steves have looked at the stats they think he puts enough effort in without much scrutiny on how effective his movement is.

No you're spot on. If i was capable of running at a jogging speed for 90 minutes I might cover 10Km. Shelvey may have done this in a match and done the square root of sod all, but it makes his stats look good. Allan might have done 8Km  while setting up an opportunity, having a shot or even scoring a goal.

Fitness stats don't translate to match effectiveness.

Pretty sure every other club has monitoring software to see how often players sprint and the  like

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Yeah mate exactly 

1 hour ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Every player deserves a clean slate under the new manager, in my opinion. If he can get something out of Joelinton, (which he may well do, as I think there is a player in there), all the better.

Fully agree with this. Every single player under Bruce went backwards. Clean slate under Howe see what they can do, everyone from Owner to manager and every single player needs positivity and backing from the fans, everyone pull together to get us out this mess

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Shelvey has shown under Rafa that when he's fit and motivated, he's a very competent PL midfielder, but he's also more than happy to become a passenger if he's allowed to get away with it.

He has one outstanding game and then goes missing for 5 games. Every player needs a clean slate, on his day Shelvey can be one of the best passers in the league 

12 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886wajmz2tggh29czouwg

This from the BBC - 

Last little snippet from Newcastle boss Eddie Howe on Joelinton: "I think he can be a huge player for us."

"From what I've seen in training he's a technical player with very good feet and he's intelligent. Unlocking that talent and ability are things I'm going to make assessments on but he's got a big part in our future here."

The thing is that we've only seen some of these players under brucey - and we all know about his training thoughts etc etc, So now that Eddie has had some time to get them into some sort of shape (and things will only improve from here as the training regime kicks in) - it is him and the training staff that are starting to see the better side of people - the hope is that this 'improvement' will be seen on the pitch.

Can't wait until tomorrow - and have had a bet 3-1 to the Toon, £5 at 20-1. - COME FUCKING ON !!!!!!!!!

If, under Howe, Shelvey decides to change his attitude and approach to actual games (that is, significantly reducing his "Hollywood"/lazy long passes and developing some form of awareness of his surroundings when we're defending [and therefore actually concentrating]) then fair play to him - I'll go even as far to say that I might start liking him and I'll be content enough to keep him in the squad until his contract expires.

However, I don't hold much hope that he'll change his attitude and ways owing to how he was under Rafa in the 2018/19 season.

It's make or break for Shelvey for the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm pretty sure Shelvey will be moved on eventually, but Howe is correct to say none of our other central midfielders can offer what he can with the ball at his feet.

he might actually get him to stop playing between the centre halves.

but i'm sure if he doesnt improve, he'll be out.

i think shelvey knows that too.

41 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Shelvey has shown under Rafa that when he's fit and motivated, he's a very competent PL midfielder, but he's also more than happy to become a passenger if he's allowed to get away with it.

He wasn't even getting games by the time Rafa was ending his reign though was he?

I got the distinct impression that he'd have been binned off in that pre-season along with Ritchie if Rafa had of stayed.

Just watched the press conference and he impressed again. He doesn't seem at all phased about the size of the job, club or task ahead. In fact he looks really, really happy to be back in management. Can only be a good thing for us.

2 words to describe Shelvey in the last 2 and a half years - Steve Bruce. A lot of his lazy attutude came.because he was constantly picked by the fat prick who did not care for tactics, fitness, tracking back and all. No.mayter how shit he was, he'd still picked.

Undoubtedly, he has the technique and passing skills that we may not have from other players right now. Trust Eddie to play or drop him based on what he brings to the team.

Edited by nufcjb