Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

He’s got to get something with what he has. 

Doubt many can, the improvement around us and our degradation (from what was always mostly crap anyway) is the biggest issue here. Defensively we just are not PL quality at all and this is even with Schar and Fernandes playing. It's like going from worst to third worst at best and hoping things turn in our favour.

I still think its too early days for anyone to write him off but the notion of getting the most out of the squads can only go so far when your back players are the worst in the league.

Edited by Amir_9

I still think that he’ll get it right. Today is the first game everything went wrong. We had too many poor performances today. The usual suspects (Shelvey, Willock and Lascelles) as well as some of the perceived better players (Schar, Manquillo, Miggy). The pen was a sucker punch in all its glory, the 2-0 came against the run of play and after that it all fell apart. I’m concerned about the league position of course, but I’m not concerned about Howe. 

Just now, Minhosa said:

Wonder if Rafa fancies another spin the championship :lol:

Not actually that unlikely as a turn of events. Good chance he gets let go at the end of the season by Everton and we might be in the market for a new manager too :lol:

I said in the match thread, but people where praising the team sheet before the game, and I personally think it was our best 11, the squad all over just lacks quality, and thats just the sad state of things at the moment. Centre mid needs changing, but our options are so limited its ridiculous.

Today was pretty shambolic, but people saying there have been no positives since he came in is very hyperbolic, since he came in, at the very least Howe has got the players working for each other, had a plan in every game, and had them fighting. In each of the last 4 games there have been positives, against Brentford we attacked really well, and should have won, against Arsenal defended well for the most part, outdone by quality, against Norwich the players showed unbeleivable fight for 80 minutes and got a valiant draw, and obviously we beat Burnley. Today was a mess, but lets not kid ourselves, these sorts of results are going to happen as the players are just Championship at best, and until recently where being trained like they where in the National League, thats not a recipe for success.

Also I very much doubt Rafa would have had better results.

Edited by 54

Just now, buzz said:

Not actually that unlikely as a turn of events. Good chance he gets let go at the end of the season by Everton and we might be in the market for a new manager too :lol:

I’ve said it all season, he’d keep us up from here imho. 

So much that hasn't made much sense. Clark playing and Fernandez in the cold, Ritchie until he was suspended, willock with Shelvey, ASM predominantly in a role that doesn't get the best out of him. 

At a minimum Lascelles and Willock have to he dropped. I'd be shocked if they were.

Manquillo should be the right choice at RB but he has been fucking woeful. He is still probably the best bet though. 

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

I said in the match thread, but people where praising the team sheet before the game, and I personally think it was our best 11, the squad all over just lacks quality, and thats just the sad state of things at the moment. Centre mid needs changing, but our options are so limited its ridiculous.

There are plenty ways we can change things to make us more combative in the middle like. Joelinton could play deeper in a midfield 3 for one. Hayden is shite on the ball but infinitely better than Willock at breaking up play for another.

2 minutes ago, Chicane said:

Agree re: team selection (other than Fede). The squad is minging but this is what we've got, he has to get more out of them. That's the job he signed up for

He might need to go back to Bruce tactics. 9 men back and hope Max or Wilson grab a goal from nowhere. 

*Kneejerk reaction*

I've made the point previously that Howe does not have the time to learn from mistakes and yet 5 games into his tenureship we still appear to be making the same ones.

There's been a couple of clear positives from his time with us that I'd have expected him to have identified and built on as a bare minimum, such as Joelinton being better suited on the flank and Fernández being our best defender and yet he's failed to do so, which to me deserves criticism. 

Play patterns, formations, defensive solidarity and team selection are all up for debate at this point in time, but when the few points that are obvious to the majority isn't obvious to the man in charge then that's something to be concerned about imo. 

Edited by Thumbheed

It's all well and good saying drop this player and that player because it's rarely as simple as that, but surely he has to find a way to adapt the team so that Willock and Lascelles can be dropped. Putting someone else in for Willock might mean a reshuffle and a change in system but bringing Fede in like for like should be face-slappingly obvious by now.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We don't need to play Bruce ball. Joelinton looks worse the further up the pitch he is yet we're playing him in a front 2 whilst our midfield is getting run over. 

If Howe wants to play like he did with Bournemouth then he needs to get a functional midfield and full backs who can get forward without losing the ball.