Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Sick of reading Unai Emery quotes talking about us in the Athletic. I don't blame him for turning us down, but he was disrespectful in how he did it. Hope you do well at Villareal mate, but we have the right man for the job here.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Sick of reading Unai Emery quotes talking about us in the Athletic. I don't blame him for turning us down, but he was disrespectful in how he did it. Hope you do well at Villareal mate, but we have the right man for the job here.

What's he saying ?

3 minutes ago, Robster said:

What's he saying ?

Just some generic stuff about how Newcastle was an attractive job but different to Arsenal, but in the end how being in the CL at VR was too important. Which is fine, but he shoud have said that at the time instead of trying to shift the blame to Stavely & co.

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Truly remarkable job he has done to have us 10 points clear at this stage. 

When he was appointed (9 November 2021) we were in 19th place with 5 points from 11 games.  5 points adrift of 17th. 62% chance of relegation according to Fivethirtyeight.

Since then we've taken 29 points from 20 games. 2% chance of relegation now, supposedly.

8 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Apologies if already posted 

I really hope I move past feeling the need to compare against the previous dregs of football management we've previously endured. But for now, the thing that jumps out every time when I've heard him speak about the club and fans in general is that he never talks about pressure, never talks about 'it's blessing when we're good but a burden when not so good' (even though I think our own fans would admit that at times).

It's always in a positive light, nothing to try and shift blame just in case things go wrong in the future. Such a small but obvious thing that should've stopped many of the shithouses we've had in charge from stepping near the club if the previous owner had any respect for the assets he invested in.

Alas, that's in the past and it just feels so good to have a manager you want to listen to again. :smitten:

image.thumb.png.a25d90910a464be5bb365970f13daa69.png

That's since Match Day 20, or in other words the second half of the season. Top 4 form. Absolutely incredible.

Sure, we've spent. But Bruno who is about half our record outlay didn't even get in the side for ages and Trippier, our other marquee signing has been out for ages along with our best goalscorer in Wilson.

Wood, the remaining large chunk of what we spent, has largely (and incorrectly IMO) been lambasted by many as a massively overpriced waste of money leaving just Dan Burn who cost about what, £10-12m and loanee Targett?

Basically, once Howe managed to get his ideas across and got a couple of key bodies in, we're absolutely flying. Insane stuff.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Just some generic stuff about how Newcastle was an attractive job but different to Arsenal, but in the end how being in the CL at VR was too important. Which is fine, but he shoud have said that at the time instead of trying to shift the blame to Stavely & co.

Reality is, he didn't fancy the challenge imo.

Fuck it...watta under the bridge and we're in a good position.  I wouldn't say I was sceptical of Howe, but I was definitely unconvinced (mainly down to my own ignorance)....I'm all aboard now.  Wouldn't want anyone else at this moment in time.

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Reality is, he didn't fancy the challenge imo.

Fuck it...watta under the bridge and we're in a good position.  I wouldn't say I was sceptical of Howe, but I was definitely unconvinced (mainly down to my own ignorance)....I'm all aboard now.  Wouldn't want anyone else at this moment in time.

He should have just said no then. I think he fancied it, but ultimately bottled it and tried to turn the blame on us. That is the bit I didn't like, other than that good luck to him in Spain, we've done well with Howe.

A lot rests on who we manage to get in and out of the squad this summer. Absolutely no reason we can't assemble a squad that can compete in that mini-league with Palace, Soton, Villa etc but if all goes well then we should be looking a few places up the league and mixing it up with Leicester, Wolves and West Ham. None of those teams are out of reach next year given a few starters coming in and improving things. We should be looking to haul a few teams in a year at a time, 3/4 starters brought in for the next few years will see us close that 20 point gap pdq. 

32 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

A few good signings and a bit of luck with injuries and I think 7th is within reach next year.

Might be a wee bit optimistic, but hey. Let's have a go.

I'm settling for nowt less than the world cup, such are my expectations as a geordie. 

Aim for top eight. Top ten should be the minimum. But a lot also depends on What our strategy is. I would hope we go out and buy some of the best young players in the world with a view to developing them within the club so they can be here for the best years of their career.

As to whether or not we judge Howe as a success I guess also depends on what role he has within recruitment. It’s the reason I think we should just give Brighton what they want to release Ashworth from gardening leave. Brighton are reported to want £5,000,000 to release him. Bringing him in nice and early with plenty of time to prepare for the window ahead and improve our scouting network could end up saving that much or more.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Just want to enjoy a season without the threat of going down. Don’t give a single shit which league position we finish in. 

Yeh, just a whole season without being a laughing stock or absolutely despising something fundamental about the club would be really welcome. 

Summer transfer window and a full season next year will give a good indication of what his potential to build on is and what his major flaws are and whether he can learn/improve or not

I'm happy we have him, this guy was touted as potential future England manager at one point. I am willing to wait and see if he fulfils his potential with us rather than jump at a short-term appointment that doesn't understand the club, the fans, the city, etc

I would be happy if we finish 7th-8th next year with a decent cup run and think it would be a great first step forwards.

Ambition? 7th. Target? Top half. Less than that? A bit of a pity on first sight, dependent on things like expenditure and luck. Relegation shouldn't be near consideration though.

Plus an obligatory cup run - hopefully we'll have enough squad depth to do something there without screwing up our bread and butter. Might get us a place in Europe via the back door, so shouldn't be treated as frivolous.