Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, brummie said:

I think you'd struggle to find a club that has wasted more money on shit purchases than Everton, shocking.

Our problem wasn't that we'd bought a load of shite, it was that Gerrard didn't get anything like the best out of them.

I'll cut him a bit of slack for losing Kamara and Carlos to bad injuries quickly, that was bad luck, but fuck me, if you take out the bad result at your place, Aaron Danks got us a 4-0 demolition of Brentford and Emery has got us 3 points at home to Man United.

That's 6 points from the last 9, which is a universe ahead of what Gerrard delivered.

It's worth reminding any fan that cares to listen that a bad manager can make the best players look shite. Emery will do wonders for your younger players like Ramsey.

I still think Villa should have bought some youth as well as experience and I think Coutinho is a right off.

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

I think you'd struggle to find a club that has wasted more money on shit purchases than Everton, shocking.

Our problem wasn't that we'd bought a load of shite, it was that Gerrard didn't get anything like the best out of them.

I'll cut him a bit of slack for losing Kamara and Carlos to bad injuries quickly, that was bad luck, but fuck me, if you take out the bad result at your place, Aaron Danks got us a 4-0 demolition of Brentford and Emery has got us 3 points at home to Man United.

That's 6 points from the last 9, which is a universe ahead of what Gerrard delivered.

Out of interest, given Emery only started on Thursday atleast officially, how much influence did he have today? Or do you reckon it was just a general tactical idea, with not much able to be done on the training ground?

32 minutes ago, STM said:

And I mean this, I hope Villa with Emery can start upsetting some of the cartel too. It doesn't benefit anyone having certain clubs constantly pulling up the ladder.

Obviously I don't want you to beat Newcastle but if Villa made top 6 in the next couple of seasons, at the expense of Spurs or Chelsea or whoever, we would all benefit. I also quite like Emery.

It's time for a change at the top of this league and it starts with Newcastle and it doesn't have to end there.

Not going to lie, I can't help thinking less of Emery after the way he bottled taking the Newcastle job after initially accepting it. Looks like he's now realised he made a mistake and has taken the next job available in the Premier.

That said, it's worked out brilliantly for us, we've ended up with the perfect manager, and I really do think Emery is a decent-ish manager. In other circumstances I would normally wish him well. At least I won't hate Villa like I did under the unsufferable Gerrard though. Before this weird rivalry business which developed in our relegation season, I always liked Villa as a club.

5 hours ago, 80 said:

It talked about the first 40 games, so I assume they were Div 2 points!

5 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Just saw a glimpse of it, but I think it was first 40 games in charge. Which pretty sure would mean Keegan’s were in second division and not even sure if Eddie has had 40, from first official game in charge. A fairer comparison would be the 33 or so games in this calendar year. Compared to best calendar year for the others. 

Checked it again, it's not, it's PL games only. We finished with 77 points in 1993-94 which was a 42 game season, we took 3 points from the final 2 games so just take that 3 off: 74.

Eddie.thumb.png.1475faf7b9d17d7b9623a883e123cb5a.png

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Checked it again, it's not, it's PL games only. We finished with 77 points in 1993-94 which was a 42 game season, we took 3 points from the final 2 games so just take that 3 off: 74.

Eddie.thumb.png.1475faf7b9d17d7b9623a883e123cb5a.png

Good find. Of course it would just be first 40 in the PL

About half hour though it, he speaks so well, and is so introspective and detailed about everything he does. You can tell just how much that year off has influence him, and how he needed that time to refine and rediscover his process, I'm so glad he's our manager :love:

Emery decided not to come here because he couldn't have handled relegation and at that time there was a good chance of it happening. Everything happens for a reason and the reward was that we got Eddie Howe.  Like many others I wasn't excited at the time by Howes appointment but he has proved to be the perfect fit for our club. Just as Rafa was in the days before Bruce

Aston Villa have some exciting young players, will be interesting to see if they can make the leap to top 8, then top 6. Who's on their way down long-term? Tottenham if they don't manage to get fourth this season? Man U probably have enough finances to withstand a run of very poor years and bounce back. Feel like Chelsea could fall apart if they don't get Champions League football too

Man City are probably very glad they lost that bidding war. He was very good last season and I am sure he will find form again but christ that Chelsea squad seems mad to me, packed full of talent and yet even on paper looks a mess. Absolute definition of less than the sum of it's parts

16 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Man City are probably very glad they lost that bidding war. He was very good last season and I am sure he will find form again but christ that Chelsea squad seems mad to me, packed full of talent and yet even on paper looks a mess. Absolute definition of less than the sum of it's parts

Potter isn’t the answer either.

With patience and time he could be but doubt he'll get that at Chelsea. The Tuchel sacking was brutal, but also feel a bit like if he wasn't their guy and they weren't going to be patient they should have just sacked him immediately rather than let him start the season. Problem is now, Potter might be the guy to do a root and branch clear out of the squad and rebuild, but unless he rebounds and has them top 4 end of season (entirely possible) does he really have the authority to do so or will the board be not sure they want this guy spending their money. Arsenal did that, stuck it out and are getting their reward now but I doubt Boehly will be the same. At a certain point Pochettino will look an attractive option and the cycle will continue. 

12 hours ago, 54 said:

Out of interest, given Emery only started on Thursday atleast officially, how much influence did he have today? Or do you reckon it was just a general tactical idea, with not much able to be done on the training ground?

Seems like he had a good amount of influence.

I remember being excited back when we were being linked to Emery, really rate him as a manager, similar to Eddie in that he can make a squad perform better than the sum of its parts.

Still very very glad that Emery bottled it and we ended up with wor Eddie instead :D