Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

On 07/10/2021 at 08:33, Misa said:

I'll add on that I'll be happy if the new owners keep Steve Bruce on till the end of the season as long as there is no danger of relegation just so they can get Rafa back (Everton sack their manager every season or so, 6 managers in 5 years or something like that)

If we were 8th-9th I reckon the team we'd had out last night would have been nearer first-choice. It was still just about enough to get past an average mid-table team so we're still doing something right. The fact we're going into December top 4 and one of the favourites for a cup is remarkable.

13 hours ago, Rod said:

I did a bit digging and the main Howe haters were et tu brute, duo, minhosa and away mag.  They seem to have disappeared.

Not disappeared @Rod.

Just very busy with work etc and spending less time than ever on the forum. Absolutely delighted with all things NUFC.

On Howe, I was very concerned with the start and think the Leeds game was a HUGE turning point. I was majorly concerned, after 8 games or whatever, that we were going down and also that the owners had perhaps missed a trick with Rafa although did state concerns around his suitability given his famed politics etc.

After that initial bedding in period and without the benefit of a 'new manager bounce', I thought Howe did/has done incredibly well and you'd have to say has been faultless and is probably still growing into the role in terms of presence/media etc so VERY HAPPY to have the wrong gut feel early on in his reign.

You'll probably dig something up but I can't recall being particularly critical of him (as a bloke), more I was looking at the early results and his lack of new manager bounce meaning we'd probably go down.

Either way, don't think that the wrong shout on early Howe is the reason for my lack of involvement in the forum. That's just life stuff.

Edited by Minhosa

It intrigues me greatly that such a quietly-spoken, one could say studious man, has the drive and presence to impose his will on a motley gang of young egos, and has wrestled so successfully with all the stresses and strains of that job. He's as far from the caricature of a football manager as you could get. I can't even imagine him swearing, let alone getting angry.

Eddie puts great store on finding out about a player's character, and I wonder whether he would avoid the challenge of a bad boy like Cantona. Nothing wrong with recognising that some players would suit your style more than others, of course. A similar challenge would be signing an established superstar like Ronaldo, who would have their own ideas about their worth. Eddie hasn't got to that stage yet, and maybe it wouldn't suit. Clough performed miracles with ordinary players but struggled with the established names.

It's interesting that the other rising star is Graham Potter, who comes across in a similar way. He's taken on that challenge with Chelsea, and I'm not sure it's going to work. 

Edited by Cronky

10 hours ago, LV said:

Yep, Fanny disappeared off the face of the earth. And this place has been better for it. 

Genuinely the worst poster we've ever had on here. 

Was always a big fan of Howe myself. I remember being shocked there were many negative opinions of his appointment at the time. The exact sort of manager you want to rebuild your club. 

Re: Bobby.

I used to think it would've been better for him to go at the end of the season before he was sacked.

But now, I think FS was always going to hire poor managers and be knee-jerk. He wasn't a good Owner from that perspective. We were better off sticking with Bobby through peaks and valleys.

But alas under someone like Shephard - what happened was inevitable.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Re: Bobby.

I used to think it would've been better for him to go at the end of the season before he was sacked.

But now, I think FS was always going to hire poor managers and be knee-jerk. He wasn't a good Owner from that perspective. We were better off sticking with Bobby through peaks and valleys.

But alas under someone like Shephard - what happened was inevitable.

Yep, Shepherd had a long and inglorious history of missing the point when the trigger to be pulled, allowing the manager to spend large sums of money, then sacking him soon after.  Dalglish, Gullit, Robson all should have went at the end of the previous season but didn't.  The only sacking he timed right was Roeder's - and that was a couple of months before he sold his shares.

I can't pretend I wasn't underwhelmed at first, mainly due to the fact he was (probably) not first choice and we could have appointed him immediately after Bruce was sacked, although I understand there was an interview process and they were narrowing down a shortlist.

My main concern was the fact we were absolutely shambolic defensively, and Howe was renowned for being pretty open at the back. Just didn't seem to be what we needed. I got fully behind him throughout though, although was starting to question again after Watford (H) in January. We looked dead and buried and without any luck. How wrong I was.

Delighted to admit I was massively wrong and it seems that his time out of the game was used to perfect his methods - learning from different managers and different coaching techniques, as well as going over his old training sessions and see what he could do differently.

That to me is exactly what separates him from most other coaches. He literally wants to improve and improve the players he coaches. Look at Joelinton and Almiron. Chalk and cheese to that fucking chancer we had previously. As he said in that podcast, he's very hard on himself and a complete perfectionist. Ultimately, a very likeable bloke too, which I've always thought back to his Bournemouth days.

It really does seem to be the most perfect fit. He has bought into the region and the club, and if he continues as he is, he will be as fondly remembered as KK eventually, I have no doubt. There is literally nobody in world football I would rather have as our manager, including Pep etc. Not saying he's a better coach or whatever, just sometimes certain people are perfect for a club at the right time. I hope he's here for ages and has some special nights at St James', which I'm sure he will.

Absolutely love the bloke and what he's done in his short time so far. Long may it continue.

Think the majority were underwhelmed initially especially as Unai had turned us down, I certainly was, however once he got the job even for them first few months before we became class you could see the improvements being made and that we were heading in the right direction.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Remeber being critical of Howe at the start. He won 1 in his first 10 or something. 

Think I spouted some bollocks about getting Rafa back in as well[emoji38] thank fuck that never happened. 

I reckon if you asked him, he'd have said it was a poor start too. Which it was. He's been superb since.

Easy to look back and have 20/20 vision in hindsight tbh.

He was probably only another 3 games from coming under pressure imho so I'm delighted we got that Leeds win and everything snowballed from there because, right now, he seems like such a good fit in terms of him 'getting it' but also the work he's done in developing individuals...

Always been a fan of Howe aftwr what he achieved at Bournemouth. I still don't think he gets enough credit for taking them from the bottom of League 2 to the Premier League like he did. That was simply an astonishing achievement.

However I was desperate for us to get Emery and I'll admit to being slightly underwhelmed when Howe was appointed. As it's turned out I genuinely believe there's not a manager on the planet who could have came in and had the same impact as Howe has had and now I just want him to stay here for years.

Potentially, and I don't say this lightly, he has the potential to go down as our greatest manager of all time if he's here for the long haul.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Always been a fan of Howe aftwr what he achieved at Bournemouth. I still don't think he gets enough credit for taking them from the bottom of League 2 to the Premier League like he did. That was simply an astonishing achievement.

However I was desperate for us to get Emery and I'll admit to being slightly underwhelmed when Howe was appointed. As it's turned out I genuinely believe there's not a manager on the planet who could have came in and had the same impact as Howe has had and now I just want him to stay here for years.

Potentially, and I don't say this lightly, he has the potential to go down as our greatest manager of all time if he's here for the long haul.

Exactly the same as my thoughts on all counts, Wallsendmag.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, Shepherd had a long and inglorious history of missing the point when the trigger to be pulled, allowing the manager to spend large sums of money, then sacking him soon after.  Dalglish, Gullit, Robson all should have went at the end of the previous season but didn't.  The only sacking he timed right was Roeder's - and that was a couple of months before he sold his shares.

Remember, Shepherd was not wanting to sell originally, the Halls pulled the rug out from under him. You're right about his last manager change, Roeder for Allardyce. It was kind of poetic seeing him actually trying to make a rational move for the first time while running the club, just as he was about to be booted out of it.

I didn't feel I was in a strong position to comment on the managerial appointments because I'd spent a long time away from following football. But from what I knew, I preferred Howe to Emery and felt relieved when the Emery deal didn't happen.

I didn't think Emery would mix well with our club and light the touch paper. It seemed a very mechanistic and dry appointment. The fact he walked away proved that to me. We don't do well with life's bean counters.

For Howe meanwhile, from a distance, I'd always been impressed with his Bournemouth achievements. I agree it doesn't seem like he really gets enough recognition for that. In 2010, near bankrupt Bournemouth becoming an attractive, top half premier league team would've been utterly preposterous to me. I also thought he came across well and different to the usual recently promoted managers when I saw him in interviews.

As for our slow start, I always said, everything that happened prior to January was just mood music. Things were certainly dodgy, but I knew there were still plenty of points left in the season to win, and always believe in what NUFC can do once the momentum turns.

I was gutted about Emery, as that’s a man who’s a proven winner with a story to rewrite in England. 

I was worried Howe wasn’t going to be able to turn it around because the team was so Bruce’d and needed fully wiped out and we weren’t getting results. 

Once his methods took form the results turned and glad it did, I want him here for longer than I’ll care to admit and I want him dominating football as the best English coach in ages so that at the end of the day, the man who works as hard and honest as him finally gets to enjoy how successful he was bringing this club back up from the ashes with a trophy cabinet full of fresh and recent achievements. 

I definitely was pretty critical at the start. I couldn’t see the improvements and the Cambridge game was shit. I remember thinking we were soft/naive and we weren’t ready to play attacking football. I also pined for Rafa too, in hindsight due to an emotional attachment with him being a great guy in a shit period. Anyway, I think it’s fair to say that the Leeds result was the key. I don’t think he would be here if we lost that in the sense that I think he may have lost the players and fans.

My main concerns with Howe were his defensive record and somewhat underwhelming signings at Bournemouth. He's clearly worked on the former and the latter was probably all about context. Otherwise was very excited to see him coming in, more so than Emery who I had fears about after he had failed at Arsenal. 

I had no strong opinion either way of him really and I wanted Emery. Understood how well he had done with Bournemouth and the style of play he put out but didn’t know enough to say he was a better choice over the pedigree of Emery.

For how good he has been there will be challenges to overcome down the road, we are all eternally grateful for the work he has done at such a key time for our club but things will change when we are in Europe and while the gratitude will still be there it will be overtaken by more expectation/pressure from the fan base. He will know that and seems well equipped for the challenge from what we have seen so far but time will tell, him getting burnt out is a concern but with continued success that shouldn’t happen. 

Edited by Nine

I hope Howe stays for a long time, But the southern press seem to be pushing him in the direction of the next England manager after Southgate.

Whatever happens to England in Qatar 2022. I think Southgate will go. If he has a poor tournament he will have no option.

Or if we do win the tournament where can he go from there.

Hope I'm wrong.