Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

13 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Didn't know where to put this and apologies if covered. Have enjoyed their solo deep dive pieces on us and in general but guess this is there podcast? Very poor from them who seem to suggest it's all just luck and not really showing any complex or anything tactically astute. I know I shouldn't be sensitive but feel should be credit where credit is due and its not a fluke or a ride your luck kind of form commentary like this just seems bitter. 

I also watched this and had the same thoughts as you. They seem to describe our form away as just we are playing very solid football with momentum and feel good factor. They actually compare us with Arsenal and say how Arsenal are playing brilliant tacticallly flexible football and that they don’t see any of that from Newcastle.

I also find it pretty funny how the guy sitting in the middle who appears to be the boss of this tactics channel seems to know the least about tactics compared to the other guys on the channel. I also think he’s extremely obnoxious and his face looks very punchable [emoji38]. I do enjoy watching the videos when it’s just the Scottish guy and enjoy hearing his insight and opinions.

Edited by Joey47

1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

Didn't know where to put this and apologies if covered. Have enjoyed their solo deep dive pieces on us and in general but guess this is there podcast? Very poor from them who seem to suggest it's all just luck and not really showing any complex or anything tactically astute. I know I shouldn't be sensitive but feel should be credit where credit is due and its not a fluke or a ride your luck kind of form commentary like this just seems bitter. 

Cannot stand any of these weird virgins. Something about the voice of the one in the middle makes my skin crawl. 

57 minutes ago, buzz said:

Cannot stand any of these weird virgins. Something about the voice of the one in the middle makes my skin crawl. 

the tactics guy with the wild hair is the one who’s pretty spot on usually. 

I think overall they really whiffed on this. So weird. Eddie’s tactical brilliance coupled with our players ability to execute the plan is why we are in 3rd. 

I thought it was a good analysis of how we're doing. The Scots guy seemed very on the ball.

It was a good point that there's no particular mystery to our tactics, so there's no reason to believe that we're somehow going to get 'found out'. I think a lot depends on how the other teams around us deal with the World Cup break. They are committing more players, so I think we have an advantage there. If it's a season where 80 points get you the title, then we have a chance. If it's 90+, then that's very doubtful.

The other good point was about 'stepping stone' players, and us missing out a stage of team-building if we finish in the top four. Basically, which players do we go for now? It may be premature to try for those in the top rank (though Isak suggests it may be possible), but there wouldn't be any point in spending money on players who aren't significantly better than the ones we have. The original plan was to try and scoop up the best of young talent coming through, but that strategy may be tweaked a bit. In a successful club, it's very difficult for a young player to get game time (eg Anderson)

There are certain areas where we need strengthening - a third striker, a quality wide player and maybe a CM with more defensive quality. 

9 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

Yeah I saw that the other day. 'They're just playing good football' 

Lazy and wrong basically. JJ's literally put out a video on the same channel analysing how we set up and our tactics as well, so it seems a bit weird to ignore all of that.

To play devil's advocate, you could argue a lot of the stuff that has made us so effective is done off the ball. Our defensive structure, high press and our volume of high turnovers are excellent.

On the ball we've improved immeasurably since Bruce, but we aren't particularly remarkable. A lot of our xG is generated from our innovative set piece routines. From open play we always look most threatening on the break and a well organised low block may still frustrate.

We have also been efficient in from of goal of late, which balances out inefficiency that we showed earlier in the season v Wolves, Palace and Bournemouth.

So while it is lazy in parts, I can see what they're getting at. What they're failing to acknowledge though, is how far we've come in such a short space of time and if that trajectory continues, how good we could be. I'd rather be underestimated regardless.

10 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

Can’t be arsed to watch something that is going to wind me up. But if they’re saying our results under Howe  are just luck, we have been incredibly lucky this calendar year. Since first league game, 15 January 2022, P34 W20, D8, L6. Points per game 2.0. What a streak! 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

On the ball we've improved immeasurably since Bruce, but we aren't particularly remarkable. 

I think it is remarkable how in stages we dominated Chelsea. Cant remember the last time we camped, passing the ball around opponent 3rd. "Top 4" team too
Not to forget completely outplaying Arsenal etc

Edited by arnonel

Luckily the comments section on the video doesn't support the undertone I felt was in the video. 

Having a game plan, working together as one unit and knowing when to press and when to defend and when to attack is to me literally describing tactics. We also have an attractive style of play making us a good watch on the whole. Don't watch other teams and taking nothing away from Arsenal but from where we were last season to now is like night and day and deserves all the plaudits you can come up with. 

Edited by nufcjmc

The main TIFO podcast was quite off the mark about us I thought, definitely underestimating the tactical detail in what we’re doing.  

Look at Miggy’s role for example, how Joelinton comes central from the left, the back 4 that converts into a 3. 

There’s loads of stuff going on that’s not just pressing. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The main TIFO podcast was quite off the mark about us I thought, definitely underestimating the tactical detail in what we’re doing.  

Look at Miggy’s role for example, how Joelinton comes central from the left, the back 4 that converts into a 3. 

There’s loads of stuff going on that’s not just pressing. 

Completely agree.

Tifo claims to be a tactical analysis tube but as they cover so many teams and subjects I honestly dont think they watch all of the games as they miss out a lot of nuanced detail which we see, and get, in our own personal analysis.

I much prefer allcot who is a bit more freeflowing and down to earth. Tifo do seem to come across as “nerdy know it alls”.

Much like The Totally Football Show and most of the others that are like that - when it comes down to it, there's always an element of them doing some basic blagging, all while smugly sipping their chardonnays and huffing their own farts.

Saying things like 'Newcastle have done all of this, but what's crazy is that they've done it with players like Dan Burn.' Except that if you watch us and watch Dan Burn you'd know that there's nothing remotely crazy about that. It's just pure laziness, snobbery and ignorance that any Newcastle supporter sees through immediately. 

JLA is by far the best out there in terms of 'getting' us. He's not infallable, but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd lean on laziness like that. He gives unfashionable players like Burn, Wood, and Longstaff their dues based on merit rather than reputation and was one of the first to bang the Joelinton-is-amazing drum. 

I always think that JLA supporting QPR helps him be way more relatable, and his views to be much more balanced. He's also obviously smart too. Most other football youtube channels, especially roundtable type shows, consist of guys thats support the top 6 (I'd guess TIFO mostly fall into this category).

Tifo are usually into stats, but they've not delved very deeply there. The main stat I would push is that we have only conceded one goal or fewer in 13 out of 15 games. Had the ref blown up on time against Liverpool, it would have been 14 out of 15. This means that whatever shortcomings our attackers have, they only have to get one goal for us to get points. In the seven games with clean sheets, one goal would have been enough for all three points. One goal is a decent setpiece, opponent error, or lucky deflection. That's not hard to do when you are playing in the other teams half. Against Chelsea, our average positions have seven players in their half.

In the Tifo video, the first guy talks about us upgrading the defence with Trippier back, Pope and Botman, but dismisses this as just a "more stable base". The stats from January, especially if you discount the Spurs blowout and last twenty minutes of Man C away, said we already had a Top 4 defence. In the last 20 games of 2021-22, we conceded 21 goals, 10 of them in those two matches. Only 11 goals against in the other 18 matches. Upgrade that to remove any traces or suspicion of luck, put a superfit midfield in front, and you get a title chasing defence.

On the attacking side, the big differences this season have been Trippier and the high press forcing mistakes. Trippier has also been the catalyst for Almiron.

• 2 weeks later...